mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Plunky piano sound - how to fix"

Posted on: March 19, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
DrDel
Total Posts:  51
Joined  01-06-2007

I’m plunky. I don’t know how else to describe it. When I play live I sound fine but when I record on my ES8 I sound plunky no matter what piano voice I use. By that I mean that it sounds like I’m banging on the keys—but I’m really not. I do play somewhat hard, and I suppose that’s a carryover from lots of years of playing cheap pianos that you have to bang on to get any sound out of them. Again, it sounds fine live and it’s only when I record that this comes out. Also, it is most noticeable when I play a recording in my, or any, vehicle. I do that because it would seem to me that this would be the best test for whether a song can sound good in an environment that a lot of people would be in when they are listening to it.

So how can I use effects or tweaks to dampen my plunkiness? I have tried moving the attack up to about +30 and that seems to help. Is this the most appropriate way to help this? Or would compressing it help more? I know I could just learn to play lighter, but this is a pretty old dog to be learning new tricks, and I so sound fine live.

Thanks for any help here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2009 @ 05:15 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

You might take a look at the adjustments to Velocity Curve. Try playing around with the settings in Utility (F1 General, SF2 KBD).

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2009 @ 08:34 PM
DrDel
Total Posts:  51
Joined  01-06-2007

Oh, yes! That is the ticket. Thanks, PeterG! I had seen those in the manual and in the ES, and had forgotten about it, but that’s definately what was needed. I also see where to edit the velocity curves at the voice element level and am playing with those tweaks to get a better piano sound for how I play.

Again, a new discovery of something wonderful the ES can do. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sounds from one Motif to the other
Next Topic:

BC3 set up ››