mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "IM CURIOUS AND JUS WANTED TO KNOW… (VIDEOS)"

Posted on: February 25, 2009 @ 08:34 PM
yaydiddy
Total Posts:  13
Joined  09-25-2008

Yea i was wondering how many of you have your VSTi edtior and your XS Rack working and actully using them to build tracks in cubase.

And i was wondering if any of you guys would mind sharing exactly how you got you connections hooked up. (midi ports, if your using mLAN or USB, etc) or if anyone could post a video on youtube or something showing how you got everything hooked up, and post a link here cuz the videos on this site dont really help me that much, and since theres no tutorial DVD video for the XS rack (that i know of) i would love to see a visual of how someone has there Rack set up. and i think it would help other XS Rack users out there also.

so if anyone out there has a heart, and the time i would very much apprciate the help.... im using mLAN and i downloaded the latest version of everything (windows PC, vista) if that helps

thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2009 @ 06:28 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

We hope to have a tutorial up some time next week.

You don’t give us much to go on but we will assume you have the Motif-Rack XS connected to your computer via firewire and you have a MIDI controller connected to the Motif-Rack XS via MIDI.

In Cubase under DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP
You should have the following item marked in the “In ALL INPUTS” column: “Motif-Rack XS MIDI IN”

This will allow your MIDI controller (the one attached to the Motif-Rack XS MIDI IN) to be the input device for MIDI data. This should be the only device port from the Motif-Rack XS marked in the “In ALL INPUTS” column.

You launch the Motif-Rack XS Editor VST as follows:
Go to DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS
Click on an empty space in the VST INSTRUMENT rack.
Select EXTERNAL > Motif-Rack XS VST

You will be asked if you want to CREATE a MIDI Track assigned to the Motif-Rack XS VST… do so.
Cubase will create a MIDI Track and it will create the VST INSTRUMENT folder with the VST Lane which will represent audio returning from the Motif-Rack XS. It will also open the VST Editor.

What you will be doing is recording MIDI data to the MIDI Track, that MIDI data is routed out to the Motif-Rack XS. The Rack XS generates the audio (sound) that RETURNS to Cubase via that VST INSTRUMENT lane.

Initially, the unit is set to transmit (return audio) via the STEREO OUT (only). That is L&R;. You can opt for more outputs by clicking on the OUTPUT icon on the VST INSTRUMENT rack. [->

There are 8 pairs of stereo outputs. But you can work with that later. You can create a new MIDI Track for each PART you want to record. Initially, I recommend that you set the OUTPUT SELECT for your PARTS to L&R;. ...Deal with processing and assigning individual audio lanes when you are ready to mix (or at least put it off until you understand how this all works… later you can do as wish, but it pays to get the fundamentals down first).

On the Motif-Rack XS Editor VST window you will have access to the entire instrument. In the lower left hand corner you will want to select the “WITH PC” option. This will allow you to monitor the Motif-Rack XS sound via the VST Audio lane - so what you hear is after the signal returns to Cubase.

That should get you started. As I said next week we hope to have an article and tutorial that should make the theory of operation clearer. 

Our tutorial will start with simply creating a multi-track recording in Cubase, and generating a Stereo Mix.

Then we will advance to how you can use the Read/Write Automation functions that are built-in.

Then, finally, we will advance to how you can use the assignable mLAN outputs to process individual PARTS with VST EFFECTS within Cubase.

Hang in there. (Also you want to be around here next week for some important updates...)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 08:54 PM
yaydiddy
Joined  09-25-2008

Thank you for the reply, and i’ll really be lookin forward to thoes tutorials next week. but the first problem i see when i followed your steps was when i went to Midi port set up it didnt say “Motif Rack XS” it just said

mLAN MIDI in
mLAN MIDI in(2)
mLAN MIDI in(3)
mLAN MIDI in(4)..... all the way down to (8)

i really dont know what im doing wrong but i will hang in there til thoes videos come out i can wait!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 05:33 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Cool…

There will be new stuff to download early next week. One of the things will be new product specific EXTENSIONS. One of the things that the Motif-Rack XS Extensions will do is allow you to see the function of the mLAN ports. This way you don’t have to guess what each of the PORTS is doing.

“mLAN MIDI IN 1” would be identified as “Motif-Rack XS Main”
“mLAN MIDI IN 2” would be identified as “Motif-Rack XS —“
“mLAN MIDI IN 3” would be identified as “Motif-Rack XS MIDI IN”

This is quite a bit clearer then just the numbers.

Motif-Rack XS Main is your main MIDI communication bus between the Rack XS and you computer software.

Motif-Rack XS -- is reserved for REMOTE CONTROL (not available on the Rack unit)

Motif-Rack XS MIDI IN is the 5-pin MIDI IN jack on the back panel and is where you could plug your keyboard controller. So Cubase would see this as the MIDI INPUT for your controller.

Please look for the new Motif-Rack XS Extensions coming in the first part of next week.

If you have not done so, make sure your Profile has your PRODUCT registered, this way your “My SOFTWARE UPDATES” section will have an notification and link of new updates.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2009 @ 12:06 AM
yaydiddy
Joined  09-25-2008

Any news on the tutorials yet?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2009 @ 11:31 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Click on Support at the top of this page and you will see all the newest tutorials including Part 1 and 2 of getting started with the VST editor.  Alhtouhg these are about the Motif XS most of the information is relevant to the XS Rack as well.  Enjoy !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2009 @ 04:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Motif Rack XS Editor VST - PART ONE

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2009 @ 09:51 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Seems like someone else who has been posting a lot in another thread missed this bit of documentation as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS + mLAN16E2 + Cubase + sound card
Next Topic:

how can you tell... ››