mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "import midi file problem in Cubase 5"

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 01:28 PM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Very strange things are happening when I import a midi file into a new project in Cubase 5. This happens with all my existing midi files I have. When I do the same thing in my Cubase 4.5.2 I have no problems setting the midi out channel.

After selecting Import midi file and selecting a midi file I want to import, Cubase is loading that particular midi file and I see all the midi tracks appearing in the project, BUT

I cannot select one of my soundmodules or synthesizers as midi out channel, I can only select the following as out channel:

Drum Groove
External-MOTIF XS VST
Halion
Synth
HALion One

No TG500, CS88, or MOTIFXS8 main. What did I set wrong in my Cubase 5 setup?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 03:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

This is most likely due to the settings you have in your Cubase 5 Preferences.

Go to FILE > PREFERENCES > MIDI > MIDI FILE

Uncheck the option that is setting your MIDI File to “Import to Instrument Tracks” under the IMPORT OPTIONS.

Apparently your Preferences are set to do this. If you uncheck this option, then you will be able to choose your own instrument/synth as the data will be imported to regular MIDI tracks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 04:02 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

And, Jan, just for your information and perhaps anyone else who is interested, click HERE to see the Steinberg list of C5 preferences that are different from those in C4. Personally, I’ve always believed that it’s wise to go through all the preferences when starting work with a new version as usually there are some surprises :) ............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 04:18 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Bad Mister,

Thanks. That was indeed the case. Unchecking “import to Instruments” did the job.

Are there more setting which I maybe have to check out? Just in case.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 04:21 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

frankE,

Thanks. But in this case “import to instruments” is confusing. What are instruments in this case. I thought my soundmodules and synthesizers. LOL. My mistake.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 09:26 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Jan,
Re: “Unchecking “import to Instruments”
---Actually, it’s “Import to Instrument Tracks”. The key word in that preference is “track”...you probably don’t want to import MIDI to an instrument track, so that’s why you uncheck that preference. I assume you are familiar with the two main ways of loading instruments inside Cubase....either via the VST instrument rack/panel (F11) or via an “instrument track”? If you aren’t familar with an instrument track, check it out in your manual, or post another question here. In this case, VSTi(s),like HalionONE for example, are the instruments that are most commonly used with instrument tracks, not external hardware like your synth. That’s not to say though that your synth is not an ‘instrument’ too. :) Hope that helps...........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 11:56 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

FrankE,

I am not an hero with VST kind of instruments, however,
I have once tried to use Reason 4.0, Garritan Jazz and others without success. I suppose you ment that kind of programs.

To be frank, I do not understand how to work with those things. Yes, I get sound out of them, but somehow it does not please me. The quality is not the same as my hardware sounds, the latency is terrible, mostly. I am sure I do not know how to work with VST instruments either. I even have tried EWQL, which I did not get to work properly. Computer power was not sufficient I think, I had the platinum version, EWQL suggested to use 8 PC’s at the same time to get any good results. LOL. That did it for me. I stopped looking to softsyths like that.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2009 @ 03:07 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Jan,
Wow, your report of all the problems you encountered with VSTi(s) surprises me. VST instruments are the heart and soul of many studios, and their sound quality and ease of use in most cases matches the sound quality of any external synth. Based on what I’ve observed when you have described your system, I cannot understand why you would experience sound quality problems, and I suspect that it’s simply a matter that something isn’t routed correctly.
Re. EWQLSO, yes that is a demanding VSTi, but again, once one learns how to use it, it can work quite well in a system with only a few GB RAM. What one can’t do though is load numerous instruments in it or one quickly runs out of RAM. :) However most VSTi(s) are not as demanding, and should work well in your system. IMHO, definitely worth exploring further if you are so inclined. Cheerio........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 11:29 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

frankE,

One of the reasons I upgraded to Cubase 5.0 was to explore VSTi and the new VST3 option etc. So maybe now is the time to study this VSTi phenomenon.

If you have suggestions for a starter please let me know.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 07:00 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Jan,
In brief, why not start by just setting up and working with one of the simpler synth VSTi(s) that come with Cubase? First, scan your computer with Media Bay so that presets for all the instruments are detected, then create an instrument track (as per page 46 of the Getting Started Guide) OR just hit F11 to bring up the Instrument Panel and load a VSTi like HalionONE for example.

Send MIDI from your keyboard to a port in the computer and then choose an empty MIDI track in your project. Set its input to the port that carries MIDI from your keyboard and set its output to the VSTi. MIDI travels from your keyboard to the MIDI track where you can record it and out to the VSTi. The VSTi then produces audio, so in the mixer direct the audio from the VSTi fader to a Master bus. In VST Connections, send the audio from the master bus to the desired outputs on your audio interface, which can then be connected to a mixer or to an amp and speakers. Hope that helps get you started. Tot de volgende keer!...............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2009 @ 05:20 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Hallo franke,

Bedankt voor de nuttige suggesties. BTW are you from Holland or whats your link with the Netherlands?

Nevertheless I will follow your suggestions and start simple with the build-in VSTi in Cubase 5.

Thanks sofar for your help to an old school musician who is still struggling around with the digital musical world.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2009 @ 01:27 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hallo Jan,
Re. the suggestions...you are most welcome, and let us know if you run into any problems with using VSTi(s)

LOL, no I live in Canada, and the phrase I used above just about represents all I know in Dutch. My partner though is Dutch and sometimes when she and her mother are chatting to each other I ‘pick up’ words. And my writing is a LOT better than my pronunciation. :) I do speak English, French and Japanese and that’s usually enough to help me get by in this part of the world, but some day perhaps I’ll know a little more of your language.

Finally, don’t be concerned about being an “old school musician”. I’ve always said that if there has to be a choice, I suggest that it’s far better to be a musician than a tech person who happens to know a little about music. In other words, I think musical skills generally are more important than the tech side. Someone can usually help with technical issues, but may not be able to do much when it comes to helping you create and play music. Also you are doing very well with a collection of advanced equipment, so that says a lot about your technical skills. Cheers..........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ AI4 Setup
Next Topic:

AI4 in the audio engine food chain? ››