mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS sequencer swing/feel, will that translate into cubase?"

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 01:54 AM
bbsounds
Total Posts:  93
Joined  08-23-2008

hi, I have a question regarding the motif sequencer compared to the cubase ai sequencer.
I created a midi drum track in the motif , using its basic quantize of 120=1/16 ? and created the same midi drum track in cubase AI with the same patch using the vst editor in cubase and 1/16 quantize setting . Why does the motif swing and feel better in its own sequencer than it does in cubase?  In other words does the motif character (swing/feel) not translate the same in cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 08:36 PM
bbsounds
Joined  08-23-2008

??? anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 10:01 AM
bbsounds
Joined  08-23-2008

Is this really a difficult question?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 04:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“I created a midi drum track in the motif , using its basic quantize of 120=1/16 ? and created the same midi drum track in cubase AI with the same patch using the vst editor in cubase and 1/16 quantize setting . Why does the motif swing and feel better in its own sequencer than it does in cubase?  In other words does the motif character (swing/feel) not translate the same in cubase?”

Sorry, I did not know if this was a serious question or some kind of rhetorical comment. Sorry.

If you quantize something to 1/16 note, theoretically it should sound the same in every sequencer you play it in. A 1/16 note quantize is strict and absolute.

There is no difference between a 1/16 note quanitzed in Cubase, a 1/16 note quantized in the Motif XS, or a sixteenth note quantized on the moon… once you have quantized the data. If you are talking about strict quantize. Both the XS and Cubase give you so many ways to quantize and adjust the timing of MIDI notes it is not really funny. The Strength Quantize allows you to move data from its original position a set degree closer to the selected quantize value.

The “Swing” function in the XS does allow (easily) you to offset the offbeat values to create a greater feeling of swing. But for years discussions have gone on that one sequencer “feels” better than another… I don’t usually get involved in those discussions because it is so very subjective (who knows what anyone else hears/feels) - you wind up with a lot of upset folks who think they know something when perhaps it is just how they ‘feel’ about working with a particular piece of gear.

But, trust me, a 16th note when quantized is quantized, end of story.

The ITERATIVE QUANTIZE function in Cubase is worthy of study, as is the SWING function in the XS. Blake Angelos covers some of this in some of the XS materials… I’ll see if I can find a link to it or it may be in one of the DVDs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 09:02 PM
bbsounds
Joined  08-23-2008

thank you so much

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2009 @ 10:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Link to Blake Angelos on PlayFX Swing quantize