mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Most Amazing Thing You’ve Heard Musically?"

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 10:41 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Granted this list will more than date me but, here goes…

(honorable mention, my first Santana concert)

7) Frank Zappa at the UC Fieldhouse in Cincinnati with George Duke, Patrice Rushen, the Brecker Brothers, Jean Luc Ponty and Ralph Armstrong are you kiddin’ me? Uncle Remus blew me away… Below all the humor was some serious music and even more serious musicians. I fell in love with jazz that night (at a rock concert: go figure)

6) A Joe Pass Arpeggio that still befuddles… it started with an arp, morphed into a single note run and re-morphed into an arp again… speechless

5) Koinonia Live at, I believe, the Taft Theatre: Abe Laboriel, Alex Acuna, Hadley Hockensmith and Jay Graydon (guitars), Harlan Rogers (boards), Bill Maxwell (drums) and Justo Almario on sax, need I say more?)

4) Chick Corea, Eric marienthal, Frank Gambale and my boy, John Patittucci standing four abreast and blowing note after note, (tradin’ 16’s, 8’s, 4’s and some very extreme unison runs) with Dave Weckl Sss’mokin’ behind them…

3) Jeff Lorber Fusion back in the day when Kenny G was still Kenny Gorelick, Dennis Bradford on skins (and in the p’ocket) and Danny Wilson being… ... ... well, Danny Wilson… {upon the Wizard Island release}

2) Every Commissioned or Fred Hammond concert I’ve ever attended… (wow)

1) Stevie Wonder in a hockey rink (Riverfront Coliseum) with absolutely crystal clear sound and no echo. {the sound engineers (well versed in Physics), pointed several speakers at the nose bleed sections that were producing echo, took the sound waves out of phase, delayed the signal to match when the echo would occur, and effectively made it impossible for the human ear to hear the echo}, simply amazing… I was in the nose bleeds, it sounded like a studio…

Question: if a tree falls in a forest can you hear the sound?
Answer: Not if Stevie’s sound engineers were setup in the vicinity… awesome…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 02:55 AM
FJR2
Total Posts:  8
Joined  02-14-2009

a few that stand out....

Back when i was a teenager (1979ish?) a friend took me to see RTF.  My jaw was on the floor!!  they had charts!!  I’d never seen anything like it!

Same friend took me see Tower of Power back then.  Amazing!!

Saw Tears for Fears (Sowing the seeds tour), outside, cool misty evening, Oleta Adams starts the concert with just Her vocals and Piano.  Great sound that night.  One of my favorite concerts!

Genesis, last year, especially Ripples!  I’ve never heard sound so good at such a large venue!!!  That song sounded awesome!!

Seeing Victor Wooten, with Dave Weckl.  Unreal talent!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 04:06 AM
dkeyman
Total Posts:  76
Joined  01-20-2009

I too saw Chick, and the rest of his Electric Band live at the Hard Rock in Dallas back in the late 80’s.  Still stands out in my mind as the best, most intimate “concert” expierence ever!  I was standing (along with only about 200 others) 15 feet away from the band, watching their every move and couldn’t believe what they were playing!  Chick would talk to people in the club like they were his freinds, then just jump right into the next number.  You could “feel” the confidence of the players as they laid down incredibly tight licks together and never showed an ounce of uncertainty as to what they were doing.  I was in awe and will never forget that.

Oh yea, and he played his Yamaha KX out in front a lot...too cool!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 05:47 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004
dkeyman - 02 March 2009 04:06 AM

I too saw Chick, and the rest of his Electric Band… the best, most intimate “concert” expierence ever!  ...too cool!

Yeah, that’s what I remember too! At Bogart’s in Cincinnati (same place I saw JLF) I think mine was closer to the late 80’s early 90’s. About 300 to 350 college students packing the place out. Took my parents and my wife- all of us non-smokers, non-drinkers… The music was so intense we never smelled the smoke… Even my Mom said it was the best concert she’d ever heard…
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 05:52 AM
mo-z
Total Posts:  724
Joined  11-18-2005

1. A buddy of mine ran sound for Take 6 when they perform here in San Diego and I got to watch.  What these guys do accapella moves me; I especially like their version of Peter Gabriel’s “Don’t Give Up” and the gospel standard, “Wade In The Water”. You don’t have to be a Christian to like these guys.

2. That girl (Sharice?) from the Philippines who sang on Oprah and David Foster’s show on PBS--- I was beaming with filipino pride watching this kid nail Whitney’s “I Have Nothing”. And she’s not even related to me.

3. Todd Rundgren’s “Pretending To Care” - all Todd.

4. I ran sound for The Manhattan Transfer when they performed @ USC Town & Gown.  I got to hear them sing “A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square” right in front of me, and “A Night In Tunisia” with Bobby McFerrin & Jon Hendricks sitting in.

5. My band opened for Yutaka Yokokura, and he had Pauline Wilson singing with him.  She sang her hit (from the band Seawind) “Follow Your Road” and brought the house down.

6. Marcus Miller Band with vocalist Lalah Hathaway doing “People Make The World Go ‘Round” on his live album. I dig the mediterennean spin Marcus and his band put on the tune.

7. Pat Metheny Group - “James” (from Offramp) My favorite Metheny cut that is wonderfully played and executed, and exquisitely recorded. Lyle Mays’ piano solo is not to be missed.

8. My band opened for El DeBarge, and we got to watch him rehearse with his brothers Marty & James and they sang Marvin Gaye’s “After The Dance” and the Switch tune “I Call Your Name” (which was a hit for their late brother Bobby).  I’m always impressed by families who sing together well.

9. The Perry Sisters singing Metheny’s “Jaco” & Andrae Crouch’s “He Never Sleeps”. These girls were so good that Anita Baker fired them for upstaging her, so the legend goes.

10. Anything that Warren Wiebe sang.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM57h5xJMLI

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 06:26 AM
gustavimprov
Total Posts:  59
Joined  01-16-2009

Alright…

Was pretty small. dragged me to a Pops Concert.. fo’ real? Pops? early July…

Ray Charles sang ‘America The Beautiful’… did something to ya’

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2009 @ 07:23 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

O, just thought of another honorable mention:
Herbie Hancock solo performance of Round Midnight…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Browser favorite links are dead :(
Next Topic:

Is it fare to use loops to write songs? ››