mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "bridge fishing (hip hop)"

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 01:21 AM
Bboy On N On
Total Posts:  288
Joined  02-05-2008

sup. i’ve been trying connect a computer interface w/ my xs and have had some really bad luck, i think this song shows my mood , but anyways i returned alot of things and i’m back to only motif and a usb stick.. while my xs wants to be uncomputer friendly ,i’m trying to explore bridges musically, question- what’s in a bridge ? from what i know , it’s a change up in the song your doing , but is thier key elements that stay in the bridge? musically your free to compose whatever you feel but is thier something that’s supposed to stand out so you know your listenening to the bridge? do you just make the drums funkier , drop out all the instruments and let the bass and maybe something else do it’s thing for 4 or 8 bars in 4/4 time?
i made this piece intentionally to make a bridge hope it worked out ...any feed backs , thanks
p.s. sorry bout the synth i think it came out to loud when i mixed it

File Attachments
Bridj.mp3  (File Size: 4838KB - Downloads: 852)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 08:05 AM
hncheema
Total Posts:  1470
Joined  08-27-2008

hi,

first of all Great Groove man, and synth sounded alright at my end. Did you made a pattern first and then converted it to song ?

Yes XS is not very pc friendly. for now i cannot connect it to my pc either but i have different reasons LOL

Bridge, hmmmm basically every genre have different rules rather parameters to follow. but the kind of fusion music going on these days everything is tutti frutti LOL. i would also like to get the right defination of “the bridge”

cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 09:33 AM
The Funk Master
Total Posts:  3686
Joined  11-26-2007

hEY bMON,, I am digging this lil ole funky drop beat you have here, yep I’m caught that bridge, nice work.
Remember, your the composer, so do it your way.

Thanks for sharing your work

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 10:39 PM
Bboy On N On
Joined  02-05-2008

thanks Funk , glad you were able to catch it.

Hnch , yeah that’s what i did i made a pattern chain , B was the chorus A the verse C the verse D was the bridge . so i made a pattern chain going from B to A to B to C to D back to B playing with mutes as i went along. then i converted to song . i heard where i can do some little editing and resampled it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 01:37 AM
hncheema
Total Posts:  1470
Joined  08-27-2008

Pattern chain worked man this is “radio ready” get a singer LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 12:56 PM
Machuson
Total Posts:  168
Joined  07-09-2008

I like this… it’s got a good groove/feel to it, flows pretty well.

Personally I think the piano and some of the other voices are a little too quiet… I’d like to hear everything a little closer to the level of your percussion/lead synth

Sounds good though, keep it up!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 04:13 PM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

Unfortunately there are no rules to creating or using a bridge. As a matter of fact some songs (i.e. most hip hop) doesn’t even have a bridge. Typically, a bridge is supposed to carry you from one place to the next. I like to format my songs so that the bridge comes right before the final chorus or outro. But I have heard songs where the bridge is at the beginning or between the verse and chorus (sometimes called a prechorus). Different artists, producers, etc. have different ideas of what a bridge is. What you call a bridge, I may call a prechorus. Give a listen to Justin Timberlake’s “Sexyback.” In that song, Timbaland outlines the bridge and chorus (i.e. “Take em to the bridge."). Hope this helps!....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 09:06 PM
Bboy On N On
Joined  02-05-2008

thanks for listening..i know what you mean about bringing everything else up , like the piano .i went home and checked it out and yeah almost all the voices were around 60-81 except the synth was around 94 and the drums were layered , but it sounded so good at home..I’m trying to think of mixing like what do i need less of instead of what do i need louder, i guess i over did it :) I’ll try bringing this song in here again later /this time with cubase mixing .

DF yeah that helps basically it’s a free for all and sometimes gets classified as whatever the producer wants to say it is . before after sometimes in between , i guess basically it’s a change in the song one that should keep your attention but not loose you .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2009 @ 09:29 PM
rajaman
Total Posts:  39
Joined  02-15-2009

Bboy On N On,

I’m just now checking out your groove (I’m sort of a newbie and still exploring the site).  Nice job!!  I do agree though that you could (if that’s your pleasure) bring up the piano.

Da Fingaz hit on it when he said that there aren’t any “rules” for creating one’s music.  Problem is for me being new to all this, it’s hard to know where to begin.  (For me, it looks like Pattern Mode is easier to begin with the ability to concentrate on each section).  At this point I find it somewhat easier and more inspirational to begin with a Peformance as I’m not yet competent enough on this machine to “write” or create beginning with individual voices and building from there. 

ALL you guys who posted your work on this site are tremedous and with all sincerity, are inspirational to me.  Now I’m a jazz guy but the funk, hip-hop, rock stuff I hear I’m really into.

If you would - and without giving away any “trade secrets” (lol)-
please share your method or suggestions for creating a song.  I’m using the Motif XS.

Thanks and keep the good stuff coming.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2009 @ 02:45 AM
Bboy On N On
Joined  02-05-2008

If you would - and without giving away any “trade secrets” (lol)-
please share your method or suggestions for creating a song.  I’m using the Motif XS.

Thanks and keep the good stuff coming.
raja-sorry i wasn’t in here recently
hopefully someone pm’d you there own method in the meantime. my method is simple maybe too simple but anyways since i don’t use the computer to come up with my stuff here it goes- i usually get an idea of what i want to do , sometimes i think of a chorus or the hook first ,i use let’s say section C for the chorus and i usually make it 8 bars. in those 8 bars a saturate it with all the instruments i want to use for the hook or chorus , then i take the drums and the bass which is usually the heart of what I’m playing and copy it to section A by pressing JOB- F5 (track)
copy track (enter) increment down so from section C to A for whatever track # my drums and Bass are enter -Yes . now i leave some space with my instruments and play keeping in mind it’s gotta make sense or go with what i did for the chorus . but since i know the chorus was 8 bars in hip hop they almost always use 16 bars for the verse . i play around listening from C chorus to A verse and i copy tracks again to section B keeping some of the stuff i have in A over to section B but now i try to make it different having fun with drums and fills or the bass maybe or whatever i feel like introducing to this section or new verse( B). then maybe have an intro for 4 bars lets say section D and outro section E . now I’m ready to make it a chain . i hit F5 then section D hit the red record play D then C then A then C then B and maybe E for an outro . letters turn into intro , chorus, verse, chorus, verse, outro .now bring it over to song hitting edit SF3 enter and in song is where i do my mixing and master efx resample it then put it on a usb stick . pattern for me is the best way because you get to work on section by section the only bad part is if you stay in one section too long you maybe evolve your song into something else .forgetting what you did for every other section. i don’t know if this helps, if you were looking for more of specifics like how to do specific things like this let me know I’ll help with whatever i know.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Latin Zamba Ballad piece I did few months ago.
Next Topic:

"Elixir" ››