mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF xs8 ; USB/mLan/Cubase4Ai"

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 12:07 AM
trudelo
Total Posts:  14
Joined  02-27-2009

I don’t have a fireware port into my computer… I plugged the usb cable and installed cubase 4 Ai !  I want to control sounds with Studio manager but it said that there’s a ‘firmware error’.  The question I ask to myself is ; do I need mLan to use studio manager ?  And the other one is ; what I can do with usb cable ?  Is that possible to record music that I made with motif’s sounds into cubase and than export it as wav. or mp3.. ?

I know for most of you guys it sounds like stupid question but I slept like 8 hours the last two days so.. please I’m waiting for infos !

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 02:38 AM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

A firewire card for the PC is relatively cheap, so worth picking up… However, there may be some announcements soon that may be of interest, but I’ll let the Yamaha folks tell you about those.

USB will currently allow you to exchange data only. Primarily MIDI data, but it will also allow you to get/put voice/patch configuration data in your editor.

What USB will not currently do, is allow you to capture Audio data into Cubase AI4. What you can do, is use this port to sequence MIDI between XS and your DAW.  You will not record music directly with only USB, XS and PC.

In my region, a Firewire card is less that 30.00.  But there may have been some suggestions that Yamaha has figured out USB/Audio.... of this, I cannot be sure.

hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 05:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“I don’t have a fireware port into my computer… I plugged the usb cable and installed cubase 4 Ai !  I want to control sounds with Studio manager but it said that there’s a ‘firmware error’.  The question I ask to myself is ; do I need mLan to use studio manager ?  And the other one is ; what I can do with usb cable ?  Is that possible to record music that I made with motif’s sounds into cubase and than export it as wav. or mp3.. ?”

Studio Manager version 2.3.0 and the Motif XS Editor version 1.1.1 can be run via USB-MIDI. You do not need firewire to get full functionality out of Studio Manager v2.3.0 and the Motif XS Editor v1.1.1.

Please do not mix this up with the Motif XS Editor VST version 1.2.0 The VST version of the Motif XS Editor does not use Studio Manager and is for those who basically have an audio interface (like the mLAN16E2).

The firmware error you are receiving is probably due to the fact that you have not updated your operating system. The new Motif XS Editor requires that you have the current Motif XS operating system to work. It will be very important to have the correct Operating system firmware to match the software you are attempting to run. Please visit http://www.yamahasynth.com
Or if you have registered what product you own here on Motifator, click on the “My Software Updated” option to find available updates for your XS: Updates you may be interested in”. There you should find a LINK to the Motif XS OS UPDATER version 1.12

The current Operating System firmware for the Motif XS is version 1.12

You do need an audio interface to transfer audio from the Motif XS to your computer (Cubase AI4) to record data that can be made into a .wav or .mp3. MIDI data and audio data are two different things.

MIDI data cannot be heard. It is a series of coded messages that represent the music - it is not sound; not by itself it is not. It is much like the holes punched in a roll of paper which represent the music to an old style Player Piano. In order to turn the representation of the music back into sound (audio), you need to feed that data back to the original device. Same goes for MIDI data - you must play that MIDI data back through a Motif XS for it to make sound.

It is the AUDIO data that you can hear. It is the AUDIO that is turned into a .wav file or an .mp3 file and burned to CD. In order to get audio data into Cubase AI4 you need some kind of audio interface.

Examples of audio interfaces would be the Yamaha AudioGram units, or the mLAN16E2 firewire expansion card for your Motif XS. The difference? The AudioGram units would take the L&R;and the Assignable L&R;1/4” outputs of your Motif XS and allow you to send them via USB-AUDIO to your computer. You would have a stereo + two assignable outputs to record simultaneously. (They use a different USB protocol than the Motif XS does. The Motif XS only sends MIDI data via its USB port).

The mLAN16E2 works via firewire (which handles both AUDIO and MIDI in a single cable) and lets you have 16 simultaneous audio outputs from your XS plus the MIDI information.

That said…
When the next Motif XS operating system arrives, you will be able to record audio directly from the Motif XS sequencer on to a USB stick or USB drive (no external computer DAW sequencer will be necessary). So if you only want to transfer your SONG to a .wav file - you will be able to do that with just the Motif XS.

If, of course, you want to do larger music production work, the computer-based DAW method is still available and a viable method for those requiring more tracks, and flexibility.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 12:26 PM
bbsounds
Total Posts:  93
Joined  08-23-2008

[
When the next Motif XS operating system arrives, you will be able to record audio directly from the Motif XS sequencer on to a USB stick or USB drive (no external computer DAW sequencer will be necessary). So if you only want to transfer your SONG to a .wav file - you will be able to do that with just the Motif XS.

HI, I could not help it but, you said when the next motif xs operating system arrives I will be able to record audio directly to usb or usb drive?  So, you are saying I can record “stems” of a sequence ( KICK, SNARE , BASS, etc) from the motif as waves (16 bit? or 24? ) to a connected USB stick and just move them to any daw?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 03:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You are interpreting what I said with small changes to my words. I said you can record the sequencer to a USB Stick or USB Drive. It is designed to take the track(s) that is playing and record it directly to your storage device as a .wav - I don’t want you to think it is going to go out via the USB TO HOST jack (not going to happen)… it is via the USB “TO DEVICE” jack. Hope that is clear.

Sure, you could do a track at a time and transfer them that way. How convenient that is will have to wait until the update. But that is certainly one use for it.

Currently, if you have DIMMs you can RESAMPLE tracks and export them to Cubase using Cubases ability to IMPORT audio from the Motif XS’s Integrated Sampling Sequencer.

The new direct to USB Device record function will have many uses - but primarly for those that simply want the fastest way to render there XS sequence to WAV it will be the most useful.

Image Attachments
USBjacks.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 04:45 PM
bbsounds
Total Posts:  93
Joined  08-23-2008
Bad_Mister - 01 March 2009 03:27 PM

You are interpreting what I said with small changes to my words. I said you can record the sequencer to a USB Stick or USB Drive. It is designed to take the track(s) that is playing and record it directly to your storage device as a .wav - I don’t want you to think it is going to go out via the USB TO HOST jack (not going to happen)… it is via the USB “TO DEVICE” jack. Hope that is clear.

Sure, you could do a track at a time and transfer them that way. How convenient that is will have to wait until the update. But that is certainly one use for it.

Currently, if you have DIMMs you can RESAMPLE tracks and export them to Cubase using Cubases ability to IMPORT audio from the Motif XS’s Integrated Sampling Sequencer.

The new direct to USB Device record function will have many uses - but primarly for those that simply want the fastest way to render there XS sequence to WAV it will be the most useful.

Thats great!  I wonder what other new features will be added.

Will the ability to audition sample from a usb device be implemented?

The reason I ask because when ever I am in sampler mode and I need to find a sample in a folder inside my usb stick, I literally have to load the sample first to audition it . will the ability to audition the sample on the usb stick prior to loading be implemented?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Look for waves of baroque instrument "Théorbe"
Next Topic:

Protools 8 OSX midnam ››