mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif sounds illegally for sale?"

Posted on: February 27, 2009 @ 06:10 AM
bsmart
Total Posts:  225
Joined  01-12-2005

I’d like to draw attension to this page:

http://www.gotchanoddin.com/store/index.php?act=viewCol&col=10

Looks like someone has just sampled the Motif’s drums, converted those to Akai MPC format, and is now selling them. I know that a person with a sampler can sample or convert anything that they want for their personal use, but isn’t it illegal to sell samples like this?

If it isn’t, then please let me know, and in a few weeks, you’ll have BSmart’s Roland and Korg drum kit collection up for sale on Motif Mart. hahaha

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2009 @ 07:49 AM
dorremifasol
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  10-17-2005

You could consider sharing those libraries instead of selling them, that would be great :D

I really feel that the XS lacks of electronic drums and sounds in general. And the ones it has sound very similar to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2009 @ 07:47 PM
bsmart
Joined  01-12-2005

It’s still probably illegal for me to share them. I have no idea how this situation of sampling drums works out.

If I have an MPC, and I sample a Roland snare, then I can use that sample in my wildly selling hit song, even though I don’t necessarily own the Roland gear that I sampled. However, if I sell just the sample, without the rest of the song, and probably make way less money, is that wrong?

If I give you a recording of me playing my song that uses someone else’s drum samples, then there isn’t any problem. However,if I give you someone else’s drum sample, without the song, then did I just infringe on someone’s copyright?

Perhaps it is only a problem if I sell you the sample, and, as long as I just give you the sample we’re fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 03:54 AM
ZombieRaider
Total Posts:  291
Joined  04-03-2006

Yep, Illegal to sample kits off a keyboard and sell them or give them away...Eric Persing of Spectrasonics answered this over on Northern Sound Source quite awhile ago...He did alot of sounds for the Roland keyboards and some of the SRX expansion cards....You can’t even stack stock sounds together from different boards and sample that even though it sounds completely different...I’d love to get my hands on a Korg M3 for a weekend though I’d much rather just HAVE a Korg M3...ZR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 11:12 PM
bsmart
Joined  01-12-2005

Well, of course he’d say that, he wants you to buy his SRX cards *smile*. Just because he says it is illegal doesn’t mean that it is illegal, though. I see very contrary information online.

How many legit companies sell sounds from classic 80’s drum machines like Linn drum? How many sell melotron? I remember the Arr voice in the Roland JVs that I used to own came from the Fairlight CMI.

ProRec will sell you sample CDs of all sorts of synths from Fairlight to Trinity. Are they pirates?
http://www.pro-rec.com/cdroms.html

SonicImplants (now SoniVox) will do so, also. They aren’t pirates, either.
http://www.sonivoxmi.com

Here is a well-known CD from Kurzweil that has been available for over 10 years, for sale on Sweetwater, containing samples from 13 digital synths, including Roland D50 and Korg M1. Why has no one sued Kurzweil yet?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ClassicSyn/#anchor

How about the massive sets of sampled modules from Nicebeats Synthline covering everything from JV1080 to Alesis QS6 and about 10-15 others?

These aren’t underground web sites in Russia serving up torrents. These are real companies with offices and people, and if it were really illegal, I wonder why they haven’t found themselves in court?

So, if its legal for all of these people to make these sets, can we sample gear from other manufacturers in Motif format and distribute those?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 11:49 PM
tbone
Total Posts:  318
Joined  02-15-2009

bsmart,

It may depend on where your samples originated.  If you purchased them, then reselling copies would be considered illegal.  If you have in fact sampled them, from other gear and have converted to XS sounds banks, then I’d suggest you have provided a service and may have a product you can sell.

On the last Xspanded library, we had some loops chopped and stuck in patterns.  The samples were pretty good and the beats were fun. Were they purchased loops? I suspect so. But were also probably “royalty free.”

I’d also say there would be a market for another decent drum library, rounded off with some patterns/performances and some other percussive sounds.

Why not shoot a note to Keyfax.  They will tell you quickly enough if they consider it illegal. I think it’s open game, as long as you are not reselling someone else’s work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2009 @ 04:40 AM
ZombieRaider
Total Posts:  291
Joined  04-03-2006

OK Fine....Who has an Ensoniq ZR I can borrow to “motifate”?...I would seriously like to sample one of these before they are all dead.....ZR

[ Ignore ]