mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Xspanded troubleshooting"

Posted on: February 25, 2009 @ 08:26 PM
jpiedrasanta
Total Posts:  16
Joined  12-05-2006

the sounds are distorted and not working at all. is it my dimm?? maybe i didnt download them correctly?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2009 @ 08:29 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

It sounds like it may well be bad RAM.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2009 @ 05:42 PM
rajaman
Total Posts:  39
Joined  02-15-2009

Great sounds in all the banks.  However, after following the instructions for loading the voice banks in the USER banks on the XS, while I hear sounds from some of the voices when played, a good many of the new voices I hear no sound at all.

For example, I hear the S700 Piano Bank and the S700 & Strings, but NOT the S700 XS voice.  I loaded the entire XSpand Your World Bank 1 in User Bank 1 and the entire Bank 3 in User Bank 2.  (I didn’t load Bank 2).  Same thing for the Live Scat voice; I hear nothing when played.

It appears that all the voices actually loaded because they all appear in both USER Banks 1 and 2, respectively.

I have 2x512 DIMMs modules installed in my XS7.  I also followed the instructions in the “How to Load...” article on this site.  Although it is funny - when I first play the new voices they appear to play properly.  But after I shut down the XS and come back later to do some work on it, the problem described above occurs. 

(I saved the original USER Bank 1 to an .XOA file but not USER Bank 2 - I don’t care about that one since I really want the new voices to replace what was in that bank).

Can someone out there tell me if I’m missing something or doing something incorrectly.  If so, please tell me STEP BY STEP the correct measures to take.

Thanks to all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2009 @ 06:25 PM
jpiedrasanta
Total Posts:  16
Joined  12-05-2006

yeah. i have the same problem as rajaman said. i dont think its the dimm then

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2009 @ 06:52 PM
kokocalamar
Total Posts:  113
Joined  01-28-2007
rajaman - 26 February 2009 05:42 PM

Although it is funny - when I first play the new voices they appear to play properly.  But after I shut down the XS and come back later to do some work on it, the problem described above occurs.

You’re missing something very basic here:

RAM memory is volatile, which means that it’s “emptied” every time you shut your XS down. You have to load the samples back into RAM memory each time you power on the synth.

The voices that still sound after power recycling are voices that rely on waveforms in the internal ROM of the XS. Those waveforms do not have to be loaded manually each time you turn the XS on, they’re always there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2009 @ 10:55 PM
rajaman
Joined  02-15-2009

kokocalamar,

Thanks for the info.  Duh, I now recall reading somewhere about volatile and non-volatile memory (lol).  It looks like I will have to load each voice individually (i.e., those voices that use the DIMM memory - those that I don’t hear when powering on after a shut-down).  Not a big deal for me.  I’ll just load those voices that I believe I’ll use for any working session.

I don’t really want to re-load the entire bank each time for voices already in internal memory. Unless of course there is a way to only load those voices that are not kept in internal memory.  LIfe would be easier that way.  OR, perhaps it’s just as easy to load the entire file.  At least that way I can hear ALL the voices and “discover” those that I would not have heard had I not loaded everything.  (As you can probably tell, I’m still a newbie at this...)

Anyone, what’s YOUR experience on how to handle the above?

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2009 @ 02:49 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

You should always load as an ALL file. The reason is that many voices share the same set of new samples (for example, you can
have different types of piano voices that use the same S700 waveforms, but have different EQ’s, effects, etc.). If you load
an individual voices, it always loads the samples assoicated with it. If you load two voices that use the same samples, the samples get loaded TWICE. If you load four individual voices that use the same samples, those samples get loaded “four” times.

So, loading as an ALL file is always the best thing to do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 12:56 AM
rajaman
Joined  02-15-2009

Dave,

Thanks for your reply.  I now understand that it’s best to load the banks as ALL files.  But I’m curious.  Let’s say the following:

1. I load each of the XSpand Your World Files into USER BANKS 1
and 2 respectively.  (I didn’t load Bank 2).  I notice that
all the previous patterns are no longer there as well - they are
replaced by other “patterns” from the voice banks.
2. I create a new pattern which use some of the voices that NOW
reside in USER BANKS 1 and 2, and save that pattern to
internal memory.  I also save that pattern to a “all pattern
file” to a USB drive.
3. I’m finished my work and power down the XS.
4. The next working session, I power up the XS.  Now, I must
again load the XSpand Your World files back into my USER
banks (as ALL files). I assume I must also load my newly
created pattern because: a)I want to continue working on it;
and 2)the pattern uses voices that are part of the “new”
voices in what resides in my USER BANKS.  Otherwise the
pattern will not play back correctly.  Is this correct?

I’d like to know in addition, when I load USER banks 1 and 2
if those voices will overwrite my newly created pattern.  (I ask because I notice that new patterns replace those that were already in the pattern mode).  Also, is there any way to keep the voices loaded from the XSpand Your World files permantly in the XS, without the need to constantly load those files?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 02:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“3. I’m finished my work and power down the XS.”

You should change step 3 to read:

“I finsihed my work, so to avoid having to do this all over again tomorrow, I SAVE my work to a new ALL data file (which I named: “My Combined Set.X0A")… then I power down the XS.”

This very important addition means that you do not have to start all over again and repeat the same work… You simply have to LOAD your new ALL data file… this way you can pickup right where you left off.

You can load ALL data from an ALL data file (set TYPE = ALL) or you can load just one bank of sounds from an ALL data file or you can load individual Voices from an ALL data file (set TYPE = VOICE). 

From an ALL data file you can load just the SONGs or just the PATTERN that you want… by setting the TYPE = SONG or TYPE = PATTERN. From an ALL data file you can assemble the data that you like.

The key thing is, once you assemble the components that you want into the XS, you should create your own new ALL data file that represents the data that you want to have in your XS.

Then you can teach the Motif XS to automatically load this file when you turn the power on. AUTO LOAD is very much like what your computer does when you turn it on… it restores certain things to RAM that you use all the time - and it does this each time you power up (virus protection, your desktop preferences, etc., etc). The computer’s START UP routine is also customizable. (see page 262-263 for how to create an AUTO LOAD). You can teach the Motif XS to find and load your favorite preferences each time you power up!

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 09:12 AM
cmorganis
Total Posts:  609
Joined  04-10-2007

Can one use autoload via network connection with pc or only USB? I’ve got a crossover cable connected to a shared folder on pc with all XOA’s and libraries. In the USB of the Motif I got a keyboard so it would be cool if I could load on the network connection…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 04:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“Can one use autoload via network connection with pc or only USB? I’ve got a crossover cable connected to a shared folder on pc with all XOA’s and libraries. In the USB of the Motif I got a keyboard so it would be cool if I could load on the network connection…”

Yes, you can.

Here is what you must consider. Your Ethernet setup functions should be stored to your Motif XS UTILITY mode preferences. That means, once you have created your Ethernet network between your Motif XS <=> Computer, while in UTILITY mode, press [STORE] to lock those setting into FLASH ROM.

Each ALL data file (.X0A) that you save, from this point on, will then have these NETWORK settings. Any ALL data file you manually load that does not have your NETWORK settings should be loaded using the “ALL WITHOUT SYSTEM” settings… so as not to change your Network settings.

If you want to ‘auto load’ a file via ETHERENT from your computer you should ensure that that file contains these NETWORK-READY Utility (System) settings.

So, for example, I have a file on my PC that contains all the data I want to automatically load to my Motif XS when I power up. This includes all my favorite Voices, Samples, Songs (w/samples), Pattern (w/samples) etc., etc. I assembled this ALL data file from various Voice and Sample Libraries, and I assembled the Songs and Patterns from various other Files.

Once I had all the data loaded into the XS that I felt was what I want when I power up, I SAVED that data to an ALL data file in a Shared Folder on my computer.

I then went to the AUTO LOAD function in [UTILITY] > [F1] GENERAL > [SF4] AUTO_LOAD > [SF5] SELECT> to teach the XS where on my computer to look for this file, and then set AUTO LOAD = ON

I then pressed [STORE] to update my UTILITY mode settings to include this Auto Load information.

Next, I went to FILE, navigated to the SHARED FOLDER on my computer, once again, and OVERWROTE the ALL data file, by executing a SAVE. This last step ensures that the ALL data file on my computer will load on power up and will load everything I want it to load, including the fact that I want this to happen everytime I power up the XS connected to my computer.

To ensure that this is successful. You, quite naturally have to have your computer ON, then power up your Motif XS… it will find the file and load your data. If your computer is not ON, the Auto Load routine will not find the file.

I have this working flawless on my Windows XP PC.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2009 @ 06:36 PM
cmorganis
Total Posts:  609
Joined  04-10-2007

Thanks BM! 100% explained

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Vista 64bit AI Driver?
Next Topic:

Dimm Ram question ››