mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mLan16e, Mulit-Part Editor, and ES8 problem"

Posted on: February 21, 2009 @ 05:26 PM
DrDel
Total Posts:  51
Joined  01-06-2007

I’ve been trying to get the mLAN16E to work for anything for about two years, but I usually get frustrated and give up. Then something draws me back to it because I know it’s SUPPOSED to be able to do it, but then I get stuck again.

So I’m stuck again. I am trying to get communication to work between the ES8 with mLAN16E and Studio Manager running Multi-Part Editor. I do have it communicating—in that MPE controls the sliders and knobs on the ES in Mixing. The ES does not communicate controller movements back to MPE but it may not be supposed to do that anyway. MPE communicates voice changes, effects changes, etc., as well. However, I cannot complete a RECEIVE MULTI BULK or RECEIVE VOICE BULK without a timeout error. When I do a TRANSMIT MULTI BULK the ES says MIDI CHECKSUM ERROR. When I do a TRANSMIT VOICE BULK, it works but it takes a long time and then eventually give the MIDI checksum error.
So, what might be the problem here?

Here’s what I have going:

ES has MIDI out set to mLAN with receive and transmit channels set to 1. RcvBulk is ON.

Studio Manager 2.1.7 has only the mLAN port 1 selected for input and output.

MPE 2.2.0 shows only one input and output port as available, and they are the mLAN ports. The remote ports are NOT ASSIGNED. I have the bulk interval at its highest setting, 100ms.

Other stuff: Win Vista on an HP laptop with lots of power and memory, PreSonus firebox as the sound interface, latest mLAN drivers and mLAN manager.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. If I get this to work I might get brave enough to tackle audio through the mLAN again.

I love this new forum layout, by the way. The old one was really hard for these old eyes to read.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2009 @ 05:56 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Try this…
Call up STUDIO MANAGER
RIGHT CLICK on the “Multi-Part Editor” Icon
Click Set-Up and assign your Ports
Now you can go back to STUDIO MANAGER and Click Synchronize and then TOTAL RECALL
Click OK to start sync with Voice Editor and Multi Part Editor.
That should do it.
Hope this helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 09:35 PM
DrDel
Joined  01-06-2007

Thanks for the reply, Dukester. But alas, I must still be messing something up. When I try to synch from the ES to Studio Manager, I get a timeout error on both MPE and VE. When I try to synch the other way, if acts like it is going from the computer side but the ES says MIDI checksum error.

The programs look likes this:

SM is set up with 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out, both as mLAN port 1. Total Recall is checked.

VM. is set with the MIDI in/out as mLAN Port 1 and 100ms delay. Total Recall is checked and set to CURRENT.

VPE is set the same way as SM.

Selecting SYNCHRONIZE from any of the three gives the same result—timeout on download from ES, checksum error on upload to ES. I’ve tried different songs and it’s the same.

Any other ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2009 @ 05:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“Win Vista on an HP laptop with lots of power and memory, PreSonus firebox as the sound interface, latest mLAN drivers and mLAN manager.”

It is not clear just how you have both the mLAN Drivers and the PreSonus Firebox active at the same time.

What is the MIDI application you are running?

Also not clear is how you are sending the BULK… A Check Sum Error is an error that says there is more or less information than expected from the dump. In other words, when initiating any bulk dump the exact number of bytes is indicated up front. If you send more (or less) than that amount it doesn’t add up… When it doesn’t you get a Check Sum Error… the computer checked and the sum of the bytes does not match what was indicated.

Either too much or too little data is included in that bulk.

Just how are you initiating the BULK?
That is from the Editor or from the front panel of the ES?

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2009 @ 04:38 PM
DrDel
Joined  01-06-2007

In an attempt to isolate the problem, I installed the mLAN drivers, Studio Manager, and Multipart Editor on another laptop that has no other music software on it. Clean Machine except for MS Office. It is also Vista. The firewire connection is direct from the ES to that computer.

And… It works! It’s still slow as frozen 40-weight on the bulk voice upload, but it does work.

So, there is something about the setup with my main laptop.

Being a laptop, it only has one firewire input port. So, I bought a small powered firewire hub that connects the line to the computer with the ES and the Firebox. That would seem to be an OK thing to do, but maybe it isn’t. In my mind, the signal from the ES is not passign through the Firebox, but rather just going to the hub and then to the computer. The FBox is otherwise working fine and doing everything it is supposed to do. Midi transmits from the computer to other midi hardware just fine, and midi come back from other hardware with no problem. Those other connections are USB, not firewire. The only firewire lines are the ES, the FBox, and computer all going into the hub.

Also, in the past when I tried to run audio through the mLAN from the ES to the computer, I almost always get a BSOD on the computer. This is otherwise an extremely stable machine. But that’s an aside for now. I just want to work with midi in MPE and Voice Editor.

I’m going to try some other connection configurations to see if I can work this out. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions you are most welcome to pass them along.

Thanks for all of your help!

-- DrDel

[ Ignore ]