mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Lost Sound level during recording"

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 03:53 PM
Steve Michaels
Total Posts:  49
Joined  08-15-2006

While recording a song, when I got to tracks 12-16 the volume level was very low.  I adjusted the mixing level switch and set the volume up to the max of 127, but still could barely hear the “voice” I was trying to record??? I did not have this problem on tracks 1-11?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 06:15 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Steve, you need to give more information.  What instrument do you have?  Is anything else plugged in to the instrument?  What Voices are you using in the 12-16 slots?  Have you edited any of the stock Voices?  At this stage I cannot see a reason why the later Voices are low in level other than perhaps an insert effect issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 04:03 PM
Steve Michaels
Joined  08-15-2006

Peter, thanks for responding.  I am using a guitar voice (Pre2 077.  Everything is the same as I did on the other tracks?  The only thing I noticed is that it does say Inser Eff : Off, while looking back on the recorded tracks they all say On.  I tried to switch the “off” to “on” but was not successful?

Thanks,

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 05:43 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

Steve, yes, as I thought, I believe your problem is that you do not have the Insertion Effects enabled on that Voice. (You don’t say what instrument you have, but I’ll assume you have an ES). On that Guitar Voice (Chugga) you have an amp sim and a compressor as effects. To check, go into Voice Mode and call up the Voice you mention - Chugga, Pre 2 077.  Play it.  Now bypass the Insertion effect. You can do this by pushing the button on the upper left of the keyboard (under the annotation EFFECT, and you need the left hand button under BYPASS - it is marked INSERTION). Now play the Voice again. It plays softer - as you would expect with no amp sim or compressor applied!

So you need to enable the Insertion Effects. However, you say that you have tried and you cannot switch them on for that track.  That will most likely be because you have exceeded the limit for insertion effects enabled in Song Mode, which is eight.  If you already have eight tracks enabled for effects, then you cannot enable a further track until you disable one of the others.  So there is always a decision to be made when you go above eight tracks.

So go to Song Mode, press Mixing, and on that Mix screen press [F3] EFFECT and [SF2] INS SW. Now scroll to any one of the currently enabled tracks and switch off its Insertion Effects.  Now scroll to your guitar track and you will be able to enable the Insertion Effect. Hopefully, if I am right about the insertion effects, then you will now hear your guitar track correctly.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2009 @ 08:04 PM
Steve Michaels
Joined  08-15-2006

Sorry, I have a motif ES8.  Thanks, I will try it tonight.  I have another question for you.  Can I move the previously recorded and now mixed 12 tracks onto one track to free up more tracks available to record on than the alloted 16 tracks?

Thanks,

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 08:20 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

You can mixdown to an audio track by resampling.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 04:22 PM
Steve Michaels
Joined  08-15-2006

Peter, thanks you were correct about the insert effect (8 max.) I’ll look up resampling in the manual.

How do I delete songs I have recorded without deleting any other songs.  I tried highlighting a song and pressing delete, but it deleted all songs; fortunately I pressed undo and they came back.

Thanks,

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 05:34 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

You don’t say exactly what Mode you were in when you tried to delete a SONG, so I am not sure what actions you took. In any event, the best way is to simply use a Job. Then you can Clear a Song and Save the rest as an All Song.

Press Song
Press Job
[F6] SONG
Scroll to Job 03 CLEAR SONG
Press ENTER
Scroll to the relevant Song number
Press ENTER, YES

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 05:44 PM
Steve Michaels
Joined  08-15-2006

Peter

After I turn on the ES8, I hit FILE, scroll to USB, then hit LOAD, then scroll to ALL, I go to the right coloumn where there is a list of all the names of the individual songs I have recorded (I store all of my songs under Song #5). Hope this clarifies.

Thanks very much,

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2009 @ 08:43 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

You are losing me a bit here, Steve. You are talking about Loading Songs, but earlier you said you were deleting a Song. If you are really trying to “delete” a Song, why are you loading it? Are you trying to delete a Song by using the file menu?

You said you were in File Mode, you go to LOAD, then All (presumably you do mean All, not AllSong?), so I cannot see why you have the individual Songs listed. You can see individual Songs if you scroll on the LOAD menu to Song, but you say you are on ALL. The only files you should have listed on scrolling to All are All Files (or AllSong files if that was the menu selected). On another note, you said you are in File Mode, but earlier you said you used “Undo”.  That is a Job, not a facility in File Mode.

I certainly do not understand your comment “I store all my songs under Song #5”. What do you mean by this?  Are you perhaps saving your songs as individually-named AllSong files? By the way, be careful of your terminology.  In a file you are Saving a Song, not Storing it.  (Best if we use the correct Motif terminology, then we all know exactly what we mean).

So to the issue : are you simply trying to get rid of a Song that you no longer want?  Is that Song saved in an All Song file? Do you fully understand the whole Motif process of Saving All Files and loading All Files or individual Songs/Patterns? Are you totally familiar with the Song Jobs?

A few clarifications will help us see exactly what you are trying to achieve, and thus the best way to help you.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2009 @ 03:23 PM
Steve Michaels
Joined  08-15-2006

Let me clarify.  When I first got my ES8 and started recording I I should have saved songs by category #5, 6, 7, etc. (because 1-4 are used as demos).  Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that.  So what I did is I went to Song#5 (the first blank available) and recorded a song.  Then I saved the song in my directory.  I repeated this for the next 10-12 songs I have recorded; so they are all stored under SONG#5.  When I go to play them I hit FILE, set it to USB, the select ALL, highlight the song I want to play and let it load.
If I delete SONG #5 I will be deleting everything I recorded.  I only want to delete an individual song that is stored in SONG #5.
If there is a way for me to transfer each individual song from the directory to SONG #5, 6, 7,.... I would love to do it, because it is so much quicker to play, than waiting to load each time.  Otherwise, how to I delete an individual song without losing everything in SONG #5 category.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for your patience and help.  I appreciate it.

Steve

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2009 @ 06:30 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

You have still lost me!

Let’s try something else. You say you saved Songs in “my directory”.  What is that?  A directory you created in File Mode? Did you name it?  And presumably you saved the Song into an AllSong file? So if you saved another AllSong file into that directory you would have overwritten the original. So, I presume you made another directory?  Correct? Or not?

If you have an AllSong file with Songs in it you can load each individual Song into the specific location number you choose by using the Load Type “Song”. Is that what you are looking for?  If so, do that for all your Songs (except the one you don’t want) into different numbers, then Save those Songs as an AllSong file.

On another point, you can stop the demo Songs loading by turning off Autoload in the Utility menu.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2009 @ 09:20 PM
DrDel
Total Posts:  51
Joined  01-06-2007

I think I see what you are doing. The problem is that you stored all of your recorded songs in what amounts to one file on the ES, and that makes it difficult to deal with adding and deleting songs. It’s much easier if you just work with one song at a time and forget about all those other 63 slots you have for songs. The only reason you would need those is if you have a bunch of songs lined up for a performance or something as it would be easy to switch between them.

Here’s what I would suggest. Start with the song slots all empty. That should be what you get when you first power up and haven’t loaded anything—except there may be some sample songs in some of the first 4 or so slots—I don’t remember where they were as I deleted them a long time ago. If there are songs in any of the slots on powerup, do JOB > SONG> CLEAR SONG and clear any of them that are there.

Now you have no songs loaded, and what you want to do is load ONE song into song slot 1. You are going to separate out all of the songs in your one song file into single song files so they are easier to work with. Do FILE > LOAD > Type = SONG and cursor over to the file list and find your song file. Press ENTER. You should now see a list of all of songs in that file. Select one of them and press enter. Now on the left you should see SONG 01 and the 01 can be set to any number up to 64 for each song slot that is available. Leave it on 01. Press ENTER. That song has now been loaded and it should be the only song you have when you roll up through the song numbers. All of the rest should be empty.

Now you want to save that song all by itself. Do FILE > SAVE > ALL SONG and give it a name, pick the location on your storage medium, and pless enter. Now you can reload that song, delete it, or whatever without having to deal with all of your other songs at the same time. Repeat this operations for all of the other songs in your original file and I think you find it a lot easier to keep you stuff organized. You can also organize and rearrange the files using a computer (if you are using a USB drive for storage) and that makes it a LOT easier to stay organized.

When I am recording, I will save many progressive versions as I am working through the recording, each with a different number at the end of the name like MYSONG01, MYSONG02, etc. Then if I need to go back to an earlier version it’s easy to do it.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2009 @ 04:00 PM
Steve Michaels
Joined  08-15-2006

Thank you Dr. Del.  Yes, you completely understand.  I will take your advice and try it.

Thanks again,

Steve

[ Ignore ]