mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Connect Motif Classic to Garageband on Mac"

Posted on: April 02, 2020 @ 10:26 AM
dawnrun
Total Posts:  26
Joined  07-27-2008

Hi again all,

I have a macbook pro with garageband and want to connect it to my motif classic. So, I have a USB that fits the Motif so

1) how do I use the Motif as simply a slave keyboard to play the Garageband presets?

2) how do I set up the mac and garageband to live record / sequence the Motif presets?

Many thanks in advance (p.s. I have tried before but keep getting nowhere so gave up a couple of years ago) but with all this spare time on my hands due to Covid-19 thought I’d give it another try and pick some expert brains. Btw looked on youtube but nothing in their specific to the Motif Classic)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2020 @ 11:13 AM
dawnrun
Total Posts:  26
Joined  07-27-2008

Hi all,

Anybody able to help with this please?

Many thanks,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2020 @ 08:06 PM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

The “classic” Motif only passes MIDI data and limited control data between the keyboard and computer: the USB connection doesn’t transfer any audio data between the two. You can use the Motif to trigger the Garage Band sounds via USB MIDI but those sounds will come out of the Mac audio output, not the MOTIF outputs. And you can use Garage Band to program MIDI data to trigger Motif voices but those will come out of the Motif outputs. The Motif is an older keyboard and audio over USB wasn’t implemented back then. If you need everything to come of the same outputs you can either run Motif audio output into the computer audio input (all sounds from computer) or run the computer audio output into the Motif A/D input jacks (all from Motif). Lots of connections and things to go wrong but it should work. I still use my Motif 8 and still love it but it does have limitations when compared to “modern” keys.

[ Ignore ]