mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Master Mode - Mapping MIDI CC #s > 95"

Posted on: November 10, 2019 @ 12:35 PM
RichS
Total Posts:  45
Joined  11-30-2013

I’ve got some questions regarding using my Motif XF in Master Mode as a MIDI controller for a variety of hardware synthesizers. I’m presently using a Roland A-800 Pro with the knobs and sliders programmed for most of the common synth functions;

Knobs - Cutoff, Reso, Wave shape, Filter amount, etc..
Sliders - Filter and Amp ADSR

Plus I use the 9th slider for Volume.

The Roland controls a Prophet ‘08, DX-7, Motif XF, Little Phatty, Minibrute, Phatt Bastard, Nord Rack2, Blofeld and an ESI-2000 sampler.

I thought I’d add my Motif as another controller.  I’m working in Master Mode, however, I ran into the wall with assigning MIDI CCs to the knobs.  The knobs only allow a maximum value of 95.

I understand that because Yamaha adheres strictly to the MIDI standard while others like Nord, Sequential, etc… have strayed and used values greater than 95 but.... well.... here we are.

I’ve had a look at the MIDI Event Processor from MIDI Solutions.  They make GREAT products.  I’m presently using a couple of their MIDI THRU and MIDI MERGE boxes in my solution and they work fantastic.  I have no doubt the Event Processor does the job.

I’d just like to avoid add-ins like this if possible.

Unfortunately it’s also not just 1 or 2 redirects either.  The Nord would need several, plus the other non-conformist synths as well.  It would be wonderful if I could just send the values straight from the Motif.

I had a few other questions as well;

- Can the Motif’s Volume slider be programmed with a MIDI CC #?  I’d like to use it to control the volume on each synth rather than use up one of my 8 sliders.  Is this possible?

- Is it possible to switch Master programs without having the Motif reset the target synth’s selected preset with the PRESET -> PROGRAM CHANGE value?

- Can a different set of MIDI CC#s be assigned to each Zone for the knobs (TONE1, TONE2)?

- Last but not least; How do you increment / decrement presets on the controlled synths?  I can’t seem to find a way to go up and down, only to a direct preset number

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2019 @ 09:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
RichS - 10 November 2019 12:35 PM

I’ve got some questions regarding using my Motif XF in Master Mode as a MIDI controller for a variety of hardware synthesizers. I’m presently using a Roland A-800 Pro with the knobs and sliders programmed for most of the common synth functions;

Knobs - Cutoff, Reso, Wave shape, Filter amount, etc..
Sliders - Filter and Amp ADSR

Plus I use the 9th slider for Volume.

The Roland controls a Prophet ‘08, DX-7, Motif XF, Little Phatty, Minibrute, Phatt Bastard, Nord Rack2, Blofeld and an ESI-2000 sampler.

I thought I’d add my Motif as another controller.  I’m working in Master Mode, however, I ran into the wall with assigning MIDI CCs to the knobs.  The knobs only allow a maximum value of 95.

I understand that because Yamaha adheres strictly to the MIDI standard while others like Nord, Sequential, etc… have strayed and used values greater than 95 but.... well.... here we are.

I’ve had a look at the MIDI Event Processor from MIDI Solutions.  They make GREAT products.  I’m presently using a couple of their MIDI THRU and MIDI MERGE boxes in my solution and they work fantastic.  I have no doubt the Event Processor does the job.

I’d just like to avoid add-ins like this if possible.

Unfortunately it’s also not just 1 or 2 redirects either.  The Nord would need several, plus the other non-conformist synths as well.  It would be wonderful if I could just send the values straight from the Motif.

I agree that the MIDI Solutions devices can be the way to go. If the Event Processor’s 10 settings aren’t sufficient, their Event Processor Plus has 32.

Do you need continuous control (data values 0~127) for all the CC’s, or do some require fewer values (such as on/off)?

RichS -

I had a few other questions as well;

- Can the Motif’s Volume slider be programmed with a MIDI CC #?  I’d like to use it to control the volume on each synth rather than use up one of my 8 sliders.  Is this possible?

The Volume slider is an analog control - its only function is audio output level.

RichS -

Is it possible to switch Master programs without having the Motif reset the target synth’s selected preset with the PRESET -> PROGRAM CHANGE value?

Once the Zone Switch is on, whether Program Change is sent by a Zone depends on the Transmit Switch setting. See (4) Ext Prog Change on pages 215-216 of the XF Reference Manual.

RichS -

- Can a different set of MIDI CC#s be assigned to each Zone for the knobs (TONE1, TONE2)?

When Knob Control Assign is set to “zone”, SELECTED (or MULTI) PART CONTROL is inactive. Each Zone can have only one setting per related knob and slider assignment.

RichS -

- Last but not least; How do you increment / decrement presets on the controlled synths?  I can’t seem to find a way to go up and down, only to a direct preset number

Press [EDIT] > [F4](Preset).
Press [F6](MIDI Send) to turn it on (highlight it).
Select the desired Zone.
Highlight “Program Change”, and adjust the value using either the INC/DEC buttons, the Data Dial, or [+] / [-] keys on an attached USB ASCII keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2019 @ 03:55 PM
RichS
Total Posts:  45
Joined  11-30-2013

Thanks so much for the reply 5pinDIN!

I’m determining what I REALLY need versus what I’d like and, with your help, I’ve come to a satisfactory situation.

Here’s my solution for controlling the Nord when I’m at the Motif.  It’s rather hardware oriented : )

25878_img_2863_1.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2019 @ 03:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
RichS - 13 November 2019 03:55 PM

Thanks so much for the reply 5pinDIN!

You’re quite welcome!

RichS -

I’m determining what I REALLY need versus what I’d like and, with your help, I’ve come to a satisfactory situation.

Here’s my solution for controlling the Nord when I’m at the Motif.  It’s rather hardware oriented : )

Indeed - physical proximity can overcome certain other access limitations.  :-)

[ Ignore ]