mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Low Levels when recording via the MOXF audio driver"

Posted on: August 11, 2019 @ 09:00 PM
tradivoro
Total Posts:  45
Joined  12-16-2003

I’ve set up the moxf to record directly to Sonar.  Midi is no problem.  With the audio, I can definitely see the signal, but I can’t get the signal above -24db, unless I play hard.  It sits between -24db and -30db.  I’m just recording a piano solo.  I’ve tried looking at the sound parameters in the moxf, saw that the level was at 100, raised that, but that did nothing to raise the level of audio when I put Sonar in record mode. 

Is there anything else that can be done to make sure I can get a signal that’s about -3db.  I can get a normal levels when I record from my board, taking the audio output from the moxf.  But recording audio via the usb driver, I get very low levels. 

Any info appreciated, thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2019 @ 09:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You might find these previous threads helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/455725/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471747

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Thanks 5pin, I was looking in recording the moxf, not levels, when I did a search.

Anyway, I did try everything that was said and now it peaks at about -12db, but sits between -18db and -12db.  It’s an improvement, and it does sound clean.  There is a gain on Sonar, which brings it up to -6, however it does start to break up when it hits -6db. 

So, maybe there is a physics here that even though it’s reading low, it’s something else altogether.  And right now this is a solo instrument.  It would be interesting to see what the cumulative effect would be at the main mixer output bus with multiple tracks recorded at the same volume, but balanced in the mix.

In any event, thanks again for your help and hopefully those links will help others as well, since they are sometimes forgotten by time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2019 @ 11:37 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

I tried recording the moxf via the board and a delta 44 card.  I was able to get a -3b level out of the instrument.  However, comparing both recordings, the timbral quality of the moxf was better when recorded via the moxf driver, than when recorded through the board and the delta 44.

And that’s listening back to the moxf driver recording with the Delta 44.

So, just an FYI for those who may try the same thing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 13, 2019 @ 07:50 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I don’t use Sonar, so I can’t be particularly helpful with details of its use. Perhaps others will be able to assist you further about that.

However, if you have a recording that’s otherwise good, but just a few dB low, you might try to normalize it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=normalize+in+sonar

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 14, 2019 @ 07:49 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I’ve tried looking at the sound parameters in the moxf, saw that the level was at 100, raised that, but that did nothing to raise the level of audio when I put Sonar in record mode. 

That’s really unusual because editing LEVEL should make a big difference.

When I want to make a Voice louder for recording purposes, I always edit the level in VOICE > EDIT and then store it to a USER location, so I don’t lose it and can get back to it again later on.

This method has never failed me.  Are you certain you are altering the level in Voice > Edit?

For this reason, many of the posts we’ve had over time about low levels from various Motif range keyboards amaze me. I’ve never had any problems recording from MOXs or MOXFs via USB or external audio interfaces.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using DTX drum kit w MOXF
Next Topic:

IOS interface with MOXF ››