mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Making the USB device name persistent in WIndows (even when device is disconnected/reconnected)"

Posted on: July 20, 2019 @ 10:00 PM
buckyswider
Total Posts:  25
Joined  09-02-2013

Hi there, I have some seen some behaviour that is scaring me as I prepare to head out to play live with my XS-6, Rack-XS, and Cubase 10.x.  (Right now I’m windows 7, but I have a new Windows 10 laptop I’m about to switch over to).  What happens is I have a project open in Cubase, and the midi outputs are all pre-assigned (I think it’s like Motif-Rack-XS).  But then if something happens- like I bump a USB cable or the unit gets power cycled- the device name on the PC gets changed, to something like 2-Rack-XS, and none of the routing within Cubase is set up properly.  The only way I’ve been able to fix this is with a windows reboot. 

Now I know the answer is akin to that old gag “doctor, it hurts when I do this”.  “Well then don’t do that!”. 

But this is reality, and I want to make my setup as bulletproof as possible- allowing for someone to walk across the stage and trip on my USB cable and causing a glitch and not ruining the whole setup.  Or the myriad of other mishaps that could cause my gear to lose momentarily lose connectivity with my PC.

So does anyone know a way to “statically” assign a name to a particular motif so it always get the same name regardless of disconnect?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]