mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Will they ever change the 24 semitone limitation?"

Posted on: May 06, 2019 @ 01:53 PM
BobosCurse
Total Posts:  81
Joined  12-31-2013

I’m so frustrated with the inability to note shift a Performance part more than 24 semitones.

I have a need for this on a weekly basis.

I’ve seen the workarounds and they are frankly ridiculous.
I helped my friend set up some performances on her Korg Triton and the parameter has a range of +/- 60 semitones.

There are many occasions when I literally cannot do what I need to do because of this stupid and arbitrary limitation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2019 @ 09:30 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
BobosCurse - 06 May 2019 01:53 PM

I’m so frustrated with the inability to note shift a Performance part more than 24 semitones.

I understand your frustration, but it is what it is. Complaining about it here, since this isn’t a Yamaha-owned site, is unlikely to get Yamaha to do anything.

BobosCurse -

I helped my friend set up some performances on her Korg Triton and the parameter has a range of +/- 60 semitones.

Yamaha and Korg synths obviously don’t have the same architecture. Most Yamaha owners buy them because they prefer the features over those of a Korg, and deal with any limitations.

BobosCurse -

There are many occasions when I literally cannot do what I need to do because of this stupid and arbitrary limitation.

It’s a rare situation where the limitation of +/- 24 semitone Note Shift can’t be relatively easily overcome. In most cases Note Shift of a Performance Part can be set to the maximum limit, and if insufficient the Voice’s Coarse Pitch parameter (per active Element) can be edited and the Voice stored in a User location. Sometimes editing Pitch at the Voice level will change the characteristics of the Voice enough to be unsatisfactory, in which case other parameters can be edited to compensate.

I addressed the situation about the XF, but applicable to a MOXF, here:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475290/

If you have a specific example of not being able to do what you need, please post it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2019 @ 09:45 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Was the octave[+/-] button one of the workarounds that you considered ridiculous?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2019 @ 06:26 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
lastmonk - 07 May 2019 09:45 PM

Was the octave[+/-] button one of the workarounds that you considered ridiculous?

Unfortunately that won’t help with shifting Parts by significantly different amounts, as can sometimes be the case with a split.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2019 @ 01:05 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Okay, understood.

But as I look at this problem, i’m betting my new found friend master mode can probably be used to overcome this 24 semitone thing.  I’ve never had to worry about it, but now that I see how master mode can be used to transmit midi commands to the Motif, there is probably a way to deal with this through a little midi creative programming.

I know this may not help the original poster, who sound like they want a no nonsense approach. (and midi programming is not everyone’s cup of tea) But I love it!!

Probably changing to song or pattern mode and then getting busy with some midi programming will likely get it done.

Also, I agree that Korg does some pretty nice SH#!  but over the last couple of years of digging deeper into the Motif, I’ve found that in most cases, If the Korg flagship has some capability, the Motif most likely has something in the same ballpark. Motif might not take the same route, but you can often get to the same destination on the Motif/MoxF. 

If the Korg Triton had some method of shifting 60 semitones, my fanboy delusions with the Motif would force me to push the envelope on the Motif to find a way.  There’s usually a way.  The question is how hard does one want to work for it.  Since I have absolutely no intention of changing instruments I have to find a way to get it done on the Motif

Sry but I’m in denial when it comes to admitting to limitations of the Motif LOL.  I’ve literally solved every midi/synth/sampling/performance puzzle that I’ve been burdened with using Motif/Mox

In this case of the 24 semitone thing, I really suspect Master Mode (without digging too deep) is the answer.  But I imagine, I could probably use the Integrated Sampler on the Motif to sample the range and then play some key assignment magic to also do the trick.  But I do realize the MoxF does not have the same sampling capabilities as the Motif so that wouldn’t be a possible solution for the original poster.

And a Master Mode, Midi Programming Solution probably comes under the category of ‘ridiculous’ for the original poster.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2019 @ 08:13 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
lastmonk - 09 May 2019 01:05 AM

Okay, understood.

But as I look at this problem, i’m betting my new found friend master mode can probably be used to overcome this 24 semitone thing.  I’ve never had to worry about it, but now that I see how master mode can be used to transmit midi commands to the Motif, there is probably a way to deal with this through a little midi creative programming.

I know this may not help the original poster, who sound like they want a no nonsense approach. (and midi programming is not everyone’s cup of tea) But I love it!!

Probably changing to song or pattern mode and then getting busy with some midi programming will likely get it done.

Yes, you can Note Shift +/- 24 semitones and use the +/- 3 “Octave” setting in a Master Zone. That would allow for as much as 5 octaves in total.

To accomplish that, the Performance should be copied to a Song/Pattern Mixing by using the Mix Job “Template Performance” - the Parts will be placed on separate MIDI channels. Create a Zoned Master associated with the Song/Pattern. Apply Note Shift and Octave settings as needed.

lastmonk -

Sry but I’m in denial when it comes to admitting to limitations of the Motif LOL.  I’ve literally solved every midi/synth/sampling/performance puzzle that I’ve been burdened with using Motif/Mox

In this case of the 24 semitone thing, I really suspect Master Mode (without digging too deep) is the answer.

You won’t get an argument from me - these “workarounds” have been discussed on Motifator for years. Some of us are willing to light a candle rather than curse the darkness.

lastmonk -

And a Master Mode, Midi Programming Solution probably comes under the category of ‘ridiculous’ for the original poster.

I didn’t mention using Master Mode precisely because it was obvious that BobosCurse wasn’t interested in pursuing that approach.

[ Ignore ]