mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Note shift vs transpose."

Posted on: May 04, 2019 @ 10:45 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Hello everyone.  After a couple years away, I’m back to work.  I was reading an old threat on this topic explained by Bad Mister (http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457977/)

I do not use midi from one board to another, but to my DAW.  I’ve only transposed with midi files to assist my vocals by transposing to a comfortable key range.  I just used the transpose option in song/pattern mode. 
When I’ve played out, I used the transpose option in utility to accommodate our lead guitarist who plays everything 1/2 step down to help his aging vocal range. 

So I’m still at a loss re the note shift option in the utility menu versus transpose.  Both seem to achieve my objective for live performances but can you foresee any potential problems with either live performances OR when I’m recording midi into my DAW? 
There were a couple incidents a couple years back where I couldn’t get a midi file to match the keys I was playing (I recorded the midi in G major but it didn’t match with the keys I played along with)

Hope I’m clear but the time away has accumulated cobwebs.  Good to be back and thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2019 @ 08:39 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
richie1027 - 04 May 2019 10:45 PM

Hello everyone.  After a couple years away, I’m back to work.

It’s good to see you posting again.

richie1027 -

I was reading an old threat on this topic explained by Bad Mister (http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/457977/)

I do not use midi from one board to another, but to my DAW.  I’ve only transposed with midi files to assist my vocals by transposing to a comfortable key range.  I just used the transpose option in song/pattern mode. 
When I’ve played out, I used the transpose option in utility to accommodate our lead guitarist who plays everything 1/2 step down to help his aging vocal range. 

So I’m still at a loss re the note shift option in the utility menu versus transpose.  Both seem to achieve my objective for live performances but can you foresee any potential problems with either live performances OR when I’m recording midi into my DAW?

I’m not surprised that there’s confusion over NOTE SHIFT versus TRANSPOSE. I lay much of the blame on Yamaha, since it used the terminology somewhat interchangeably in several places in the manuals. For example, see the attachment below (taken from page 56 of the XF Reference Manual), in which the Voice mode definition of NOTE SHIFT uses “transpose setting”. It could have been simplified and clarified by just stating “Determines the amount (in semitones) by which the pitch is raised or lowered.”

The NOTE SHIFT setting in Utility mode is under the “Tone Generator” heading. Changing that setting will cause all notes played by/from the XF to be shifted in pitch, affecting all modes (Voice, Performance, Song/Pattern, associated Masters). MIDI note output will not be affected.

The TRANSPOSE setting in Utility mode is under the “Keyboard” heading. That setting will only affect notes played directly by hitting keys - that is, pitch of Arps and Song/Pattern sequences won’t be changed. MIDI note output will be affected - any MIDI devices connected to the XF’s MIDI-OUT will receive the transposition. (If it’s desired to change the pitch of sequences being played, the “Trans” setting on a Song/Pattern Play screen can be used.)

richie1027 -

There were a couple incidents a couple years back where I couldn’t get a midi file to match the keys I was playing (I recorded the midi in G major but it didn’t match with the keys I played along with)

Offhand I don’t know what you experienced. If you run into the problem again and can provide some details, it might be possible to determine the cause.

richie1027 -

Hope I’m clear but the time away has accumulated cobwebs.  Good to be back and thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Glad you’re here, and I hope the above helps.

Image Attachments
XF Note Shift Voice.gif
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2019 @ 12:11 AM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Many thanks 5pinDIN and for your kind words.  As I begin to edit and manipulate my midi files I’ll see if that issue presents itself so that I can provide a more cogent picture.  Take care

[ Ignore ]