mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can a MOXF Drum Kit Voice be triggered by a Roland Electronic TD Drum Kit?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 09, 2019 @ 12:32 AM
jerrydpi
Total Posts:  973
Joined  11-03-2012

Hi guys/dolls :)

My Topic Title says it all, and if so, how do I do it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2019 @ 03:14 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

PS

Or can a MOXF Drum Kit Voice be triggered by ANY Electronic Drum Kit that has a usb out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2019 @ 03:52 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

You won’t be able to use the USB directly, the MoXF isn’t a USB host.
With a DIN MIDI cable, anything that can send MIDI notes should be able to play your kits, as long as you can map the notes to the pads/triggers to match the kit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2019 @ 07:43 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 09 April 2019 12:32 AM

Hi guys/dolls :)

My Topic Title says it all, and if so, how do I do it?

Most Roland modules have standard 5-pin MIDI out.

jerrydpi - 09 April 2019 03:14 AM

PS

Or can a MOXF Drum Kit Voice be triggered by ANY Electronic Drum Kit that has a usb out?

If you must use an electronic kit having only USB output, then a computer or other device would have to act as host between the kit and the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2019 @ 02:07 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

There is no MIDI Port on my Roland Kit, only usb, so what do I need to connect it to my MOXF?

I do have a MacBook Pro, but it doesn’t have MIDI in/outs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2019 @ 03:03 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
5pinDIN - 09 April 2019 07:43 AM

If you must use an electronic kit having only USB output, then a computer or other device would have to act as host between the kit and the MOXF.

Hi 5pinDIN :)

It’s been a while since we talked, and I hope all is well with you!

I do have a MacBook Pro, but if it won’t solve the problem, what device do I need?

It’s nice to hear from you again!

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2019 @ 04:28 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 09 April 2019 03:03 PM

Hi 5pinDIN :)

It’s been a while since we talked, and I hope all is well with you!

As well as can be expected at my age.  :-)
I hope all is OK with you, too.

jerrydpi -

I do have a MacBook Pro, but if it won’t solve the problem, what device do I need?

Presuming that the correct driver for the MOXF (and Roland, if needed) is installed on the Mac, there needs to be an app running (such as a DAW) that sees both the Roland and the MOXF. Then the Roland MIDI data output has to be routed to the MOXF input (Port 1, the tone generator) via the app.

--------------
EDIT: Not being a “Mac Guy”, I did a little online research, and found this:
http://www.johanlooijenga.com/tools/5-apps/12-virtual-ports.html
That lead me to looking into this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+iac+driver
Those links seem to indicate a way to route MIDI data from one device to another via the Mac.
--------------

Otherwise, you’d need a USB MIDI Host such as the Kenton or iConnectivity units.

https://iconnectivity.supportbee.com/53-iconnectivity-knowledgebase/534-midi/8517-what-does-the-host-port-on-my-iconnectivity-interface-do

https://iconnectivity.supportbee.com/53-iconnectivity-knowledgebase/534-midi/837-is-my-usb-midi-device-compatible-with-the-iconnectivity-usb-midi-host-port-connection

https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

I suggest verifying with the manufacturers that the particular Roland kit you have is compatible (USB Class-compliant).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 01:21 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

Hey, there’s not ONE Motifator Member who hasn’t gotten a day older just like you and me have :)

Regardless, I looked at the Kenton device, and if one wants to connect a USB keyboard to MIDI gear without a computer, it will work great.

But let me be more clear on what I want to do, and I apologize if I wasn’t clear enough :)

I have:
1) A MacBook Pro.
2) Logic Pro X.
3) A Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo.
4) A MOXF8.
5) A Roland TD-1KV Kit that I use to trigger (and record as software instrument tracks on LPX, via usb):
a) Addictive Drums 2.
b) Superior Drummer 3.

But I LOVE the drums on the MOXF, and I record them from the MOXF Audio Outputs into the Twin Duo’s Audio Inputs.

I play the MOXF Drums by my fingers, and I’m pretty happy with the results, but as I am a drummer, and I record the software drums from the Roland Kit, I said to myself:

“Myself, it sure would be nice if I could take the usb cable that is coming from my Roland Kit’s Module, disconnect it from my MacBook Pro’s usb 3 in, plug it into an adapter that would be female usb in, have MIDI In and Out ports on the other side of said adapter, and then simply (uh-oh :) ) connect MIDI cables from the adapter to the MOXF”.

So is this possible, and if so, I’ve found lots of adapters ranging from $15.00(me likey :) ) to over $300.00 (me don’t likey :) ).

Please note that I welcome ANY input/advice on any adapter, hopefully one that’s not over $300.00 :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 07:09 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
jerrydpi - 10 April 2019 01:21 AM

“Myself, it sure would be nice if I could take the usb cable that is coming from my Roland Kit’s Module, disconnect it from my MacBook Pro’s usb 3 in, plug it into an adapter that would be female usb in, have MIDI In and Out ports on the other side of said adapter, and then simply (uh-oh :) ) connect MIDI cables from the adapter to the MOXF”.

So is this possible, and if so, I’ve found lots of adapters ranging from $15.00(me likey :) ) to over $300.00 (me don’t likey :) ).

It seems I wasn’t sufficiently clear.  :-)

A USB MIDI Host will allow the MIDI output of a Class-compliant USB device to be connected to a 5-pin MIDI-In.

The Roland TD-1KV seems to be Class-compliant. You would need to verify that.

There are USB MIDI Hosts available other than the Kenton and iConnectivity ones. Some may be less expensive than models from those companies. If you find one for $15 that actually works, do let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 07:57 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Not sure if this could be an issue or not if you go down the USB host route, on the Roland module, can you set which note the triggers play?
If not, you could end up with your kick being played by a cymbal or similar.
If you use your Mac, I’m sure it can be mapped in software.

Or you can of course create your own kits on the MoXF, but I got the impression that you like the ones already there. ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 09:35 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

As far as I know, MIDI note numbers sent by the Roland TD-1KV can be reprogrammed as needed.

This thread might be interesting and potentially helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/474414

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 11:35 AM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
5pinDIN - 10 April 2019 09:35 AM

As far as I know, MIDI note numbers sent by the Roland TD-1KV can be reprogrammed as needed.

This thread might be interesting and potentially helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/474414

From Roland:
TD-1K: ASSIGNING MIDI NOTE NUMBERS TO THE PADS
It’s possible to select a different MIDI note to be transmitted from each pad on the TD-1K. From the factory, the notes have already been assigned, however they can easily be changed if desired.

Please forgive these questions :)

1) What is a USB MIDI Host (vs a USB MIDI Adapter)?

2) Once I purchase a USB MIDI Host, and once I change the MIDI note assignment of the Roland Pads, I should be ready to go?

The reason I ask is because just as Sonny Corleone said in the Godfather, he didn’t want his brother coming out of that toilet with just his **** in his hands :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 01:26 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+usb+host

Sorry, but I’m done with this topic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 01:53 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012
5pinDIN - 10 April 2019 01:26 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+usb+host

Sorry, but I’m done with this topic.

Thank you for your input, as well as being so helpful 5pinDIN :)

Jerry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 02:01 PM
jerrydpi
Joined  11-03-2012

This is what I found in regards to what a USB Host is:

A device that can serve as a “master” USB device, to which other “client” peripherals can be attached, is referred to as a “USB host.” Computers are USB hosts by default. Some other devices can also serve as USB hosts or can be switched to a “USB host mode” that allows them to serve as a connection point for peripherals. An example is a tablet, which can be connected to a computer for transferring data, backup, etc., but that also can serve as a USB host to client peripherals.

So if I have a MacBook Pro, is that not a USB Host, and if so, why hasn’t anyone said all I need is a MIDI Adapter that is usb on one end, and MIDI on the other.

PLEASE understand that I’m not trying to be obtuse, I’m just not connecting the dots :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2019 @ 04:03 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Apparently I lied, and I wasn’t quite done with the topic…

jerrydpi - 10 April 2019 02:01 PM

So if I have a MacBook Pro, is that not a USB Host, and if so, why hasn’t anyone said all I need is a MIDI Adapter that is usb on one end, and MIDI on the other.

Nobody said that because…
1) You seemed to have previously rejected the concept of using the Mac.
2) If you want to use the Mac, an adapter isn’t needed. The physical connection from the computer to the MOXF can be made via USB cable.

Routing of the MIDI data might be done with virtual ports using the Mac IAC Driver - I suggest that you reread earlier posts in this thread, and follow links in them. Perhaps Mac users here or elsewhere will be able to fill in any missing pieces for you - as I said before, I’m not a “Mac Guy”.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Changing LFO speed via MW
Next Topic:

Quality carrying case ››