mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Record Midi data from Motif"

Posted on: March 21, 2019 @ 02:55 AM
oldkeys
Total Posts:  76
Joined  12-05-2010

1) Anyone can tell me what is the easiest way to record midi data as you play on a motif.
2) Then, what is the easiest way to take such raw midi data in a file and read it from software that will convert to notation.?

I know there is software that can directly create notation, but I dont want to bother with the perpetual gui garbage and hangups. ;I tried it and it is too distracting.

I rather just want to reliably record all raw midi data and then later fiddle with getting it into notation.

It will be even easier on linux as I can write any software needed there to process the midi as captured, but I have trouble capturing the raw midi.
I am not a windows programmer.

If there is something in windows or linux already does it then I want to hear about it.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2019 @ 08:45 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 21 March 2019 02:55 AM

[...] It will be even easier on linux as I can write any software needed there to process the midi as captured, but I have trouble capturing the raw midi. [...]

I haven’t tried this, but it might fit your requirements:
http://www.midish.org/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2019 @ 01:00 PM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thank you 5pindin, I will install it and try it. I tried Ro0segarden, and while it works, has very little regard for the user, starts up with a lot of random midi data that plays back and then plays back the recorded midi data while recording, with no way to switch that off. Annoying. Otherwise it would be fine, but I prefer CLI solution without all the fancy gui. It seems your suggestion is a good start. Thanks.

I know very little about midi as there is very little low level information I could find helpful. It must be a very easy protocol but although it is a very old protocol no consistent explanation how it works at driver level can be found.

On another topic, here is a great Linux co0mpendium of midi and related applications. I already see a couple I can use.
“https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/screenshots”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2019 @ 01:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 21 March 2019 01:00 PM

Thank you 5pindin, I will install it and try it. I tried Ro0segarden, and while it works, has very little regard for the user, starts up with a lot of random midi data that plays back and then plays back the recorded midi data while recording, with no way to switch that off. Annoying. Otherwise it would be fine, but I prefer CLI solution without all the fancy gui. It seems your suggestion is a good start. Thanks.

You’re welcome.

oldkeys -

I know very little about midi as there is very little low level information I could find helpful. It must be a very easy protocol but although it is a very old protocol no consistent explanation how it works at driver level can be found.

MIDI is indeed a fairly simple protocol. Perhaps this link will help:
MIDI tutorial for programmers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2019 @ 12:06 AM
oldkeys
Joined  12-05-2010

Thanks I have a working solution now.
Thanks a lot 5pindin

While I have your attention, is there any difference between audio 5pin din cables and Midi 5pin Din cables.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2019 @ 05:38 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
oldkeys - 24 March 2019 12:06 AM

Thanks I have a working solution now.
Thanks a lot 5pindin

You’re welcome - I’m glad you’ve found a workable approach.

oldkeys -

While I have your attention, is there any difference between audio 5pin din cables and Midi 5pin Din cables.

Yes, they are different. Both types use pin 2 (the middle pin) as a ground/shield connection. However, typically 5-pin DIN audio cables have all of the pins wired, while MIDI ones only wire pin 2 and pins 4 & 5 (the ones directly to each side of pin 2). That means MIDI cables can’t be used for audio purposes.

Of course, you probably want to know if 5-pin audio cables can be used for MIDI. They can, with a precautionary note. Some manufacturers used pins 1 and 3 (the “outside” pins) for carrying power supply voltages - this is a non-standard application. The Motif models don’t have connections to those pins, so using 5-pin DIN audio cables for MIDI with a Motif should normally be OK. However, if you’re ever unsure of any other gear, it’s probably best to stick with “real” MIDI cables.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Library-ing Problem in Motif XS8
Next Topic:

[solved] Factory Patch volume discrepancies. ››