mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "slicer/sidechaining"

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 04:34 PM
mkeschinger
Total Posts:  73
Joined  10-25-2011

Hey gang,
Is there a way to get that slicer/side chaining effect on the xf? I have heard it on the montage and modx and figure there HAS to be a way on the xf. I may not be stating it right. It’s the effect where the kick drum hits with the arp and the sounds seeme like they compress with it. Use a lot in EDM.
Thanks in advance!

MK

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 09:50 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Although there is probably some sort of arpeggio approach to mimic it, the XF does not have side chain compression capabilities.

That was indeed introduced to Yamaha with the Montage.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 11:17 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Any time I’ve heard the Montage side chain effect, it’s sounded fine, but a bit polite and sugary.

If you want to recreate that ‘ducking to a kick drum’ effect with a bit more character and success, you’d be better off using a compressor plug in (with a side chain input, because not all of them have a side chain input) in your favourite DAW.

The sound you want isn’t just the sound of a compressor, it’s the sound of a compressor listening to the input of another sound source (such as a kick) and reacting to it.  The result of all of that is then impressed upon the target audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2019 @ 02:02 AM
mkeschinger
Total Posts:  73
Joined  10-25-2011
philwoodmusic - 22 January 2019 11:17 PM

Any time I’ve heard the Montage side chain effect, it’s sounded fine, but a bit polite and sugary.

If you want to recreate that ‘ducking to a kick drum’ effect with a bit more character and success, you’d be better off using a compressor plug in (with a side chain input, because not all of them have a side chain input) in your favourite DAW.

The sound you want isn’t just the sound of a compressor, it’s the sound of a compressor listening to the input of another sound source (such as a kick) and reacting to it.  The result of all of that is then impressed upon the target audio.

That is EXACTLY it.  I know the arps can be set so they match each other to the tempo. Wondered if the effect could be mimicked and if anyone has tried.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2019 @ 08:14 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Although true ducking can’t be done on an XF, you might find this thread interesting:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/480007

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF vs. MONTAGE, MODX, or MOXF?
Next Topic:

Program Change ES6 ››