mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How sturdy is your MOXF?"

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 03:25 AM
spdrcr2
Total Posts:  6
Joined  01-22-2019

Any long time MOXF owners? The AC power supply and general build of the board have me a bit cautious on the purchase of an MOXF8. I noticed the plastic seems somewhat pliable and noticed some grooves on the store model frame, but it was my favorite to use (primarily due to sound and key action).

Would anyone who travels/gigs with it frequently be so kind as to weigh in with your thoughts on build quality?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 04:02 PM
DickBanks
Total Posts:  9
Joined  12-17-2018
spdrcr2 - 22 January 2019 03:25 AM

Any long time MOXF owners? The AC power supply and general build of the board have me a bit cautious on the purchase of an MOXF8. I noticed the plastic seems somewhat pliable and noticed some grooves on the store model frame, but it was my favorite to use (primarily due to sound and key action).

Would anyone who travels/gigs with it frequently be so kind as to weigh in with your thoughts on build quality?

I’ve had my MOXF6 for 2 months now. Absolutely love it.

Not sure I’d be too keen on carrying it around. If I did, I would get a road case for it.

The problem is that it is so light, 15 lbs. It has a plastic case, which reduces weight and cost. Great for the studio.

I have no intention of moving it from my studio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 04:44 PM
spdrcr2
Joined  01-22-2019

Thanks Dick. The main reason it was made to be transportable is what’s causing me concern. If you don’t mind my asking, is this your first board? If not, what did you come from and how does this one compare?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 05:22 PM
DallasXanadu
Total Posts:  76
Joined  05-20-2015

I’ve hauled my MOXF8 across town in my trunk with the back seat down every couple of months for the last three years with no damage. I don’t use a case, as it barely even fits without one. Aside from very minor scratches (not its fault) it looks brand new. And the cheesy power supply has held up just fine, although I do baby that. I still have no idea why they couldn’t do better, it’s not like it’s THAT cheap of a keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 06:58 PM
Ed S
Total Posts:  40
Joined  02-16-2018

Hi spdrcr2,

I bought my Moxf6 about 6 years ago and it traveled from Holland to Italy in the back of a transport-van and back by airplane. I used a light-weight flight case (hard-top) and made sure it wouldn’t bounce inside. I was a bit worried about the knobs but there was no problem when it came home.

My previous synth was / is a Yamaha V-50 which is about 1000kg lol! It traveled to Gran-Canaria and Italy and was very good for me to train some muscles. My V-50 also survived the trip and is still fully functional. I wouldn’t worry to much about the Moxf but I understand your concern. Greetz,
Ed s

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 10:49 PM
spdrcr2
Joined  01-22-2019
DallasXanadu - 22 January 2019 05:22 PM

I’ve hauled my MOXF8 across town in my trunk with the back seat down every couple of months for the last three years with no damage. I don’t use a case, as it barely even fits without one. Aside from very minor scratches (not its fault) it looks brand new. And the cheesy power supply has held up just fine, although I do baby that. I still have no idea why they couldn’t do better, it’s not like it’s THAT cheap of a keyboard.

Exactly! 15 lbs and at $1k+ just makes me want to wrap it in moving quilts, but apparently it’s solid. Thanks for your perspective!

Ed S - 22 January 2019 06:58 PM

Hi spdrcr2,

I bought my Moxf6 about 6 years ago and it traveled from Holland to Italy in the back of a transport-van and back by airplane. I used a light-weight flight case (hard-top) and made sure it wouldn’t bounce inside. I was a bit worried about the knobs but there was no problem when it came home.

My previous synth was / is a Yamaha V-50 which is about 1000kg lol! It traveled to Gran-Canaria and Italy and was very good for me to train some muscles. My V-50 also survived the trip and is still fully functional. I wouldn’t worry to much about the Moxf but I understand your concern. Greetz,
Ed s

Ed, that muscle training is exactly why I’m sidestepping the XF8. I love it, but I plan to take it out 2-3 times a month, and a flight case with wheels can add up. Thanks for your comments and happy playing to you both!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2019 @ 11:54 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I have gigged a MOXF8 with a good quality soft case to carry it around in.  I always made sure that it was the last thing to be loaded with other gear so that it sat on top of everything.

This made for a nice safe way of moving it around and kept it very light.

When I sold it, it was still in mint condition.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2019 @ 12:43 AM
spdrcr2
Joined  01-22-2019

Hi Phil,

Looks like I just need to get over my irrational fear of this thing.

What did you upgrade to?

Also, maybe you can help me with my other question, if you didn’t upgrade to one of these, which would you upgrade to....Motif XF, MODX or Montage 6/7?

If you did, what was the deciding factor?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2019 @ 02:03 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I bought a Motif XF7 WH.

Sampling was the main thing that I wanted that the MOXF didn’t have.  I can cope with the extra weight for that, and even more extra weight when it’s in its full flight case.

I actually have a soft case for that too, but I use it to move it up and down the steps in my house, because it’s just too heavy and dangerous otherwise.

The second I get it back in the house from a rehearsal or gig, it comes out of its flight case and into the soft case, then I can move it around safely with less weight and a shoulder strap. The hard case stays by the front door.  This also reduces the chance of it getting knocked about and scratched in the house.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2019 @ 02:18 AM
spdrcr2
Joined  01-22-2019

Wow, okay. I am completely torn between an XF7 and a Montage 7. Congrats on the new board!

If they were both the same price, and the sampler wasn’t a deal breaker (TBH, I have the Motif 6 and have never used it and will have other means to workaround it), might you have chosen the Montage?

Did you give it any thought (I’ve seen some of your posts so I know you have a solid perspective on these matters)?

I hear the sound quality on the XF is better, but not sure if firmware upgrades (to the Montage) will fix that.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2019 @ 06:31 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

I have gigged with my MOXF in a sturdy flight case and the experience has been absolutely fine. Not sure that I’d recommend transporting it in a soft case to gigs, however.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2019 @ 08:14 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
spdrcr2 - 23 January 2019 02:18 AM

Wow, okay. I am completely torn between an XF7 and a Montage 7. Congrats on the new board!

If they were both the same price, and the sampler wasn’t a deal breaker (TBH, I have the Motif 6 and have never used it and will have other means to workaround it), might you have chosen the Montage?

Did you give it any thought (I’ve seen some of your posts so I know you have a solid perspective on these matters)?

I hear the sound quality on the XF is better, but not sure if firmware upgrades (to the Montage) will fix that.

Thanks!

I’ve had the XF7 a little while now and I was very lucky to find a brand new one at the time.

I tried a Montage 7 in the same store and was underwhelmed by it.  If the Montage excited me enough, I’d buy one anyway. If there was no way I could have bought a Motif XF at the time, I’d have probably gone with a different manufacturer.

I was looking at a variety of keyboards at the time, including scouring the used market, which is an exhausting process, especially for Motifs, where demand is high so prices are high and the condition of boards really varies.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2019 @ 11:17 AM
DickBanks
Joined  12-17-2018
spdrcr2 - 22 January 2019 04:44 PM

Thanks Dick. The main reason it was made to be transportable is what’s causing me concern. If you don’t mind my asking, is this your first board? If not, what did you come from and how does this one compare?

Thanks!

This is my second--I also own a Yamaha P115, and I would say the same for it. Studio quality, definitely; on the road, not so much.

My bandmate owns a Yamaha CP, and we have no problem travelling with it. We do have a very sturdy case for the CP.

She also owns a MOXF8, and it stays on the stage, and does not move.

I’m mainly a guitar player--I’m learning the piano on the P115 and the MOXF6, and I’m also using the MOXF6 for songwriting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2019 @ 11:23 AM
DickBanks
Joined  12-17-2018
DallasXanadu - 22 January 2019 05:22 PM

I should also add that I highly recommend providing a strain relief on the power connection. A small piece of duct tape to form a short loop on the cable does the trick. That way, if the power cable gets pulled, the tape will hold the cable and no stress will be applied at the connector.

I design electronics every day with these types of connections, and I can tell you that they are not nearly as sturdy as an AC three-prong connector, like you see on the Yamaha MOTIF XF.

It’s a cost-cutting measure by Yamaha, and that’s a good thing. Frankly, to get this kind of quality in a synth at the price point that it’s at--this is the best deal in synths I’ve seen.

But it’s really not a “throw it into the back of the truck” type of gear.

[ Ignore ]