mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Rod Argent’s performance on “The Zombies, She’s not there”"

Posted on: December 04, 2018 @ 05:13 PM
Drums&
Total Posts:  14
Joined  01-23-2014

Rod Argent used a Hohner Mark I electric keyboard on the Zombies “She’s Not There”.  I have a motif XF7 purchased January 2015 with stock voices.  Would someone know what the best sound I have in the data list for electric pianos that would cover his Hohner? 

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2018 @ 06:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I believe the instrument you’re referring to is a Hohner Pianet.
The Vintage Keys library has a decent Pianet Voice (among several others).
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/voice-libraries/motif-xf/classics/vintage-keys-xf.html

If you don’t want to purchase that, the PRE1:046(C14) “Wurli EP Bright” Voice is somewhat in the ballpark, especially if slightly edited…
Turn off Elements 1 and 2. On Elements 3 and 4 change the Wave Number from 188 to 189, and the Velocity Limit from 80-111 to 1-111. STORE to a User Voice location if you want to keep the edited Voice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2018 @ 08:37 PM
Drums&
Total Posts:  14
Joined  01-23-2014

5pinDIN,

Yeah the Vintage Keys is on my list to purchase.  However, I think I would like to edit the Wurli EP Bright you mentioned as a learning experience. 

Thanks for your help, Haha I was going to private message you since I had confidence you would know and set me down the road of knowledge.

Thanks,

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2018 @ 12:51 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome. If you haven’t previously been editing Voices, this is as good a time as any to try. The changes I suggested should be fairly easy to apply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2018 @ 03:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

By the way, you might try turning up the Mod Wheel while playing just a bit, which will add some tremolo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2018 @ 03:01 AM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

I believe Rod Argent used a Hohner Pianet N on “She’s Not There” (I’m in the process of restoring my old N). There are a few Soundfont files of the Pianet N and Pianet T (slightly harsher sound)around on the web if you can use those as samples. The Pianet sound is different from other E pianos because it used “sticky pads” to pluck stainless steel reeds when you hit a key (if you look closely at the icon picture you’ll see a Pianet N on top of the Farfisa).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2018 @ 09:03 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
kevinb - 13 December 2018 03:01 AM

I believe Rod Argent used a Hohner Pianet N on “She’s Not There” [...]

The Voice in the Vintage Keys library I referred to is an emulation of a Pianet N.

kevinb - 13 December 2018 03:01 AM

[...] (if you look closely at the icon picture you’ll see a Pianet N on top of the Farfisa)

Since it’s a bit difficult to see detail in that, I hope you don’t mind that I took the picture from your member profile, lightened it a bit, and attached it here.

Image Attachments
photo_1598 - lightened.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2018 @ 10:12 PM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

The picture is an old Polaroid from around 1974 and the quality wasn’t great to begin with. Thanks for lightening it up. Dave P’s Vintage Keys is a great set of voices but it makes me feel old since I played many of those “keys” when they weren’t “vintage”!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2018 @ 11:17 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
kevinb - 13 December 2018 10:12 PM

The picture is an old Polaroid from around 1974 and the quality wasn’t great to begin with. Thanks for lightening it up. Dave P’s Vintage Keys is a great set of voices but it makes me feel old since I played many of those “keys” when they weren’t “vintage”!!

I played all of those “keys” when they weren’t “vintage” also, and I am so thankful I no longer need to own/play/repair/transport those electro-mechanical dinosaurs to get the sounds they produce...I cannot overstate it!

My apologies to those who adore the old beasts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2018 @ 05:44 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

I too, carried around all the old beasts to get the sounds I wanted, including the B3, which never could go everywhere I wanted without plenty of help.  If only I had a Motif back in the late 60’s and seventies, I would have been the envy of every keyboard player around, haha.

I believe my aches and pains now are attributed to being keyboard player/roadie.  And the “Voice of the theater” speakers were no picnic either along with the Leslie. 

I enjoy being able to pick up the keyboards under my arm and plugging into a PA.  What a difference!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S700 Piano for Motif XF question
Next Topic:

Downloading midi files ››