mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sampling"

Posted on: October 27, 2018 @ 12:17 PM
rpml
Total Posts:  7
Joined  10-27-2018

I am a newbie to the Motif keyboards, have worked with Roland in the past… I have an ES7 at home and a ES8 at a rehearsal studio.
I have figured out how to create my own patches in PERFORM and transfer them via usb to my ES8.
I also use a loop pedal for certain effects, like intros to songs, and would like to have these wav files incorporated in my perform patch, placing them on a specific note of the keyboard within the perform mode.
I have purchased 2 /HITACHI-HB52R329E2-B6-256MB-PC100-ECC-168PIN-DIMM on ebay and have followed the manual on how to create a sample.
However as soon as I hit the integrated sample button, the entire keyboard locks up and I can’t switch to anything else...the only way to get out of it is to reboot the keyboard .

I am guessing that perhaps these dimms are not compatible, but how do I confirm that and/or find the proper type of RAM..??

also will I have to install the same type of RAM on the es8, if I want to transfer a sampled patch to the other keyboard..??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2018 @ 12:55 PM
rpml
Joined  10-27-2018

have recently been able to get as far as the REC F6 button but the I get : SAMPLE MEMORY FULL..???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2018 @ 01:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

rpml - 27 October 2018 12:17 PM

[...] I have purchased 2 /HITACHI-HB52R329E2-B6-256MB-PC100-ECC-168PIN-DIMM on ebay and have followed the manual on how to create a sample.
However as soon as I hit the integrated sample button, the entire keyboard locks up and I can’t switch to anything else...the only way to get out of it is to reboot the keyboard .

I am guessing that perhaps these dimms are not compatible, but how do I confirm that and/or find the proper type of RAM..??

The DIMMs you have are ECC registered server memory. That’s the wrong type of memory for a Motif.

The correct type is non-ECC, PC100 or PC133, having no more than 18 memory chips per DIMM. Even some DIMMs that meet those requirements sometimes are incompatible.

Motifator sells 2 512MB (1GB total) DIMMs that are guaranteed to have the correct spec and also guaranteed for life.
http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/memory/mek1gb.html

rpml - 27 October 2018 12:17 PM

also will I have to install the same type of RAM on the es8, if I want to transfer a sampled patch to the other keyboard..??

As long as the ES8 has compatible memory of sufficient capacity (size), it should work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2018 @ 01:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
rpml - 27 October 2018 12:55 PM

have recently been able to get as far as the REC F6 button but the I get : SAMPLE MEMORY FULL..???

The ES has built-in diagnostic tests, including two for the DIMMs. Information is in the Service Manual…
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_es6_es7_es8.pdf/download.html
...beginning on page 70. See tests 23 and 24.

WARNING: Tests should only be run by those who are familiar with such diagnostics, and only if there’s a problem. Don’t go looking for trouble if it doesn’t already exist - you might instead cause problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2018 @ 03:04 PM
rpml
Joined  10-27-2018

I will purchase your DIMMs and let you know..
Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2018 @ 09:05 AM
rpml
Joined  10-27-2018

With regards to saving to a USB key....
What is the maximum size that can be used.??
It appears to be limited to 1 gig or less…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2018 @ 09:37 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

USB flash drive capacity for use with an ES is not limited to 1GB. Yamaha listed a 16GB one that was compatible…
http://download.yamaha.com/file/53376
...and even larger ones may work.

The problem with some flash drives is that they have management software installed on them. If so, usually that can be removed with a utility available from the flash drive manufacturer.

If you already have a larger capacity flash drive, just try it - they often come with compatible formatting.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2018 @ 10:41 AM
rpml
Joined  10-27-2018

Thanks again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2018 @ 12:22 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
rpml - 28 October 2018 10:41 AM

Thanks again

You’re welcome. Let us know how things are once you get proper DIMMs installed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2018 @ 12:24 PM
rpml
Joined  10-27-2018

Dimm’s installed and able to record a sample....thank you

what I’m not able to figure out yet is how to assign that sample to a specific note on the keyboard in a performance mode…

example...I have a split keyboard and would like to assign the low F# to a sample so I can use it as an intro to a song…

I have read POWER USER Motif ES Sampling in Sequencer Mode but it’s not what I’m trying to accomplish…

I just want to assign a sample to one specific note on the keyboard within my performance set up.

any article on this subject would be appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2018 @ 01:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
rpml - 07 November 2018 12:24 PM

Dimm’s installed and able to record a sample....thank you

You’re welcome - I’m glad that the problem was resolved.

rpml -

what I’m not able to figure out yet is how to assign that sample to a specific note on the keyboard in a performance mode…

example...I have a split keyboard and would like to assign the low F# to a sample so I can use it as an intro to a song…

I have read POWER USER Motif ES Sampling in Sequencer Mode but it’s not what I’m trying to accomplish…

I just want to assign a sample to one specific note on the keyboard within my performance set up.

any article on this subject would be appreciated.

The Waveform has to be placed in a User Voice, and that Voice is used as a Part in the Performance.

If you want to play the Waveform on one particular key, the sample’s Destination Keybank should be that note (low F#). See page 94 of the ES Owner’s Manual. Additional information is on page 174.

[ Ignore ]