mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Footswitch and Assignable Function Buttons"

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 04:32 AM
billy99
Total Posts:  9
Joined  08-16-2018

Hi,

This is my first post, I have been working with MOX8, Cubase AI, John Melas Tools, MOX Editor etc… on Windows PC.

For clarity if I use the word $ong to mean the actual song the band plays (say Heroes David Bowie etc) and song to mean a song on the MOX it will make my question a bit easier to follow (I think).

I have been setting up Masters ready for live playing, selecting the master to be either voice or song, I generally went for song even if the $ong only required one voice, I did this so if I wanted to add things to the $song later I could do so using the 16 channels etc…

Anyway, most $ongs only require one voice, some that require more, say a bit of organ at the beginning and then piano after, I have got around using split keyboard and have for example put the organ at the top range of the keyboard and altered the octave or pitch settings so it plays in the octave range I want, and then the rest of the keyboard is piano and then I do not play at the top end of the keyboard while playing piano.

However some $ongs I am trying to set up require a bit more than that.

So here comes the query, I have my assignable footswitch set to PC Inc, and obviously when in master mode when I use the footswitch it goes to the next master setting, one to two to three etc…

If I pressed the song button, thus moving out of master mode into song mode, I note that automatically the MOX goes to say song 14 or whatever song number the master mode was assigned to, also that the track button and button 1 lights up and I have the first of the 16 voices playing, but when I now press the footswitch it increases the song number from say song 14 to song 15, but what I want to do is move, via the footswitch to part 2 of the song.

I have looked and tried all sorts but cannot figure out how to get the footswitch to move between parts in a song, mix or performance.

I understand that there are two assignable function switches, I also tried to get them to increment up and down the song parts but also cannot figure that out..

Surely the MOX8 can do this, or is the only option to manually press buttons parts 1, 2, 3 etc.. with my rights hand (as that is where they are located on keyboard panel) as I move through the song?

Any help would be most appreciated…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 09:53 AM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
billy99 - 30 September 2018 04:32 AM

Hi,

This is my first post, I have been working with MOX8, Cubase AI, John Melas Tools, MOX Editor etc… on Windows PC.

For clarity if I use the word $ong to mean the actual song the band plays (say Heroes David Bowie etc) and song to mean a song on the MOX it will make my question a bit easier to follow (I think).

I have been setting up Masters ready for live playing, selecting the master to be either voice or song, I generally went for song even if the $ong only required one voice, I did this so if I wanted to add things to the $song later I could do so using the 16 channels etc…

Anyway, most $ongs only require one voice, some that require more, say a bit of organ at the beginning and then piano after, I have got around using split keyboard and have for example put the organ at the top range of the keyboard and altered the octave or pitch settings so it plays in the octave range I want, and then the rest of the keyboard is piano and then I do not play at the top end of the keyboard while playing piano.

However some $ongs I am trying to set up require a bit more than that.

So here comes the query, I have my assignable footswitch set to PC Inc, and obviously when in master mode when I use the footswitch it goes to the next master setting, one to two to three etc…

If I pressed the song button, thus moving out of master mode into song mode, I note that automatically the MOX goes to say song 14 or whatever song number the master mode was assigned to, also that the track button and button 1 lights up and I have the first of the 16 voices playing, but when I now press the footswitch it increases the song number from say song 14 to song 15, but what I want to do is move, via the footswitch to part 2 of the song.

I have looked and tried all sorts but cannot figure out how to get the footswitch to move between parts in a song, mix or performance.

I understand that there are two assignable function switches, I also tried to get them to increment up and down the song parts but also cannot figure that out..

Surely the MOX8 can do this, or is the only option to manually press buttons parts 1, 2, 3 etc.. with my rights hand (as that is where they are located on keyboard panel) as I move through the song?

Any help would be most appreciated…

Are you aware than in Master Mode you can assign?:

Voice
Performance
Pattern (including MIXV)
Song (including MIXV)

The MIXV allows you to assign up to 16 different sounds to a single Song or Patten Mode.

This would allow you to simply select 16 different sounds (in realtime) with pausing or interrupting the music.

If you assign all of the instruments you want in Pattern or Song mode, and then assign that Pattern or Song to Master Mode location, then during the performance you can select any of those instruments.,

I’m assuming that your goal is to play many different kind of instruments/sounds during a single song.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 11:37 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
billy99 - 30 September 2018 04:32 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

billy99 -

[...]

Is there a particular reason why you’re using Master mode? For example, are you controlling external MIDI gear? Otherwise, is there a reason that you couldn’t remain in Song mode?

Let us know, and we can discuss possible control options.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 02:29 PM
billy99
Joined  08-16-2018

Hi lastmonk & 5pinDIn, thanks for the replies…

Lastmonk. I think I got that, I have many voices set up in various song mixes and I would like to use footswitch to move from say part1 to part2 then to part3 etc.. as I play through the live song, I know I can change with the buttons its the footswitch I canty seem to get working. In Master mode it will only increment up from say Master A01 to A02 etc… and in song mode it will only increment up through each programmed song, say Song1 to song 2 etc…

5pinDIN. I only used master mode as it seemed the most future proof option to set every song as a master and then make the song mix, performance mix or voice mix a child of the main master mix, so no I am not using it control any other external midi devices.

Any ideas guys??

Cheers

Bill

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 03:40 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
billy99 - 30 September 2018 02:29 PM

Hi lastmonk & 5pinDIn, thanks for the replies…

Lastmonk. I think I got that, I have many voices set up in various song mixes and I would like to use footswitch to move from say part1 to part2 then to part3 etc.. as I play through the live song, I know I can change with the buttons its the footswitch I canty seem to get working. In Master mode it will only increment up from say Master A01 to A02 etc… and in song mode it will only increment up through each programmed song, say Song1 to song 2 etc…

5pinDIN. I only used master mode as it seemed the most future proof option to set every song as a master and then make the song mix, performance mix or voice mix a child of the main master mix, so no I am not using it control any other external midi devices.

Any ideas guys??

Cheers

Bill

Understood!  Hmmm....  Pedal used to choose parts?  This sounds interesting.  I’m now curious to see if there is a way to do this.

It certainly seems reasonable if the foot switch can be used to advance through sections… for Master Mode.  But if you’re in Master Mode do you want the foot switch to have dual purposes or are you wanting to use another foot controller/assignable function while you’re in Master Mode to advance through parts?

You could also use XA Control, to select certain sounds e.g.  if both AF1, and AF2 is on then the element sounds.  So if you have say an organ sound that uses 3 elements, you could assign a flute to the fourth element which would only sound if AF1 and AF2 is on, while the other elements are set to the opposite, or are programmed to only respond to a certain velocity or keyboard range.

If you solve this, please share!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2018 @ 04:10 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
billy99 - 30 September 2018 02:29 PM

Any ideas guys??l

I’d suggest staying in Song mode. If you do, the need to press [SONG] when you want to switch Parts, and to first press [MASTER] when you want to advance to the next Program, is eliminated. All you’d then need to do is press a [1]~[16] button. Since that switching is seamless - the previous Part can sustain until the next one is selected, without a glitch - it would seem that the second it would take to press a button shouldn’t be an issue.

If that’s not an acceptable approach, and you must have foot control…
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478902/
--- and ---
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478909/
...which you may or may not find to be a better option.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2018 @ 12:22 AM
billy99
Joined  08-16-2018

Sorry for delay in replying been a bit busy, I wanted to thank you guys for responding it has helped in one sense, the links made me realise theres a whole area that I need to get my head around being midi commands and sysex stuff, which so far I have not used and have no idea how to do it, I had no idea there was downloadable software I can use to set up midi messages etc. at the moment I will run with the masters I have set up as that took quite a while but when I get chance I will set up a SONG based gig set and then look at this sysex midi command thing and see where it leads me… again thanks.. it has helped… I have a new issue regarding voices changing when I set them up in SONGS but I will start a new thread for that…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ External Backup Drive Blank Screen
Next Topic:

Voice elements getting lost in songs ››