mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX8 SAVED SONGS EXPORT"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 28, 2018 @ 12:43 AM
beh
Total Posts:  10
Joined  04-28-2018

Hello
I’m new to MOX8.  I have created a few songs on MOX8 but do not know how I could export them from MOX8 to USB flash drive or laptop.
I tried to save it on a usb but the format is .x4a which I do not know how it could be used either.  The user manual showed how to save the .x4a but did not go further to say then what!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  By the way i also have cubase el element 6.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2018 @ 03:20 AM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

When you press file, you can select the file type. Select “SMF” and you can save a song as a standard MIDI file which you can then import into Cubase easily.

The other (longer and, in my opinion, less convenenient) way of doing it is to play the song and record the MIDI in Cubase.

David.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2018 @ 12:51 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
beh - 28 April 2018 12:43 AM

Hello
I’m new to MOX8.

Welcome to the forum.

beh -

I have created a few songs on MOX8 but do not know how I could export them from MOX8 to USB flash drive or laptop.

These support articles should be interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moving_a_mox6_mox8_song_into_a_cubase_project

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_cubase_and_the_editor_vst

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_basic_audio_recording

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_basic_audio_recording_ii

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_basic_audio_recording_iii

Those and other MOX support articles can be found here:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/mox_articles/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2018 @ 09:28 PM
beh
Joined  04-28-2018
Davelet - 28 April 2018 03:20 AM

When you press file, you can select the file type. Select “SMF” and you can save a song as a standard MIDI file which you can then import into Cubase easily.

The other (longer and, in my opinion, less convenenient) way of doing it is to play the song and record the MIDI in Cubase.

David.

Thank you, I will try.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2018 @ 09:55 PM
beh
Joined  04-28-2018

David.

I saved one of my simplest songs with only 2 instruments as “SMF” and imported into Cubase.  In Cubase although both MIDI are shown but only the first one could be heard. What should I do so I can hear both instruments?  Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2018 @ 12:51 PM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017
beh - 29 April 2018 09:55 PM

David.

I saved one of my simplest songs with only 2 instruments as “SMF” and imported into Cubase.  In Cubase although both MIDI are shown but only the first one could be heard. What should I do so I can hear both instruments?  Thanks

You have to be in song mode in your MOXF when you play the song from Cubase, and you have to make a Mix template (Press the MIX button) in your Keyboard in order to select a different sound for each MIDI channel

I don’t know if this part was covered in the documents above.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2018 @ 04:32 PM
Davelet
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-27-2017

David.

Are the outputs of both channels being sent to the MOXF?

Also as RH producer said if you want the two channels to play different sounds (I presume you do) then you need to be in Song or Pattern mode - it is only in those modes that the MOXF acts as a multitimbral sound module.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2018 @ 08:10 PM
beh
Joined  04-28-2018
Davelet - 30 April 2018 04:32 PM

David.

Are the outputs of both channels being sent to the MOXF?

Also as RH producer said if you want the two channels to play different sounds (I presume you do) then you need to be in Song or Pattern mode - it is only in those modes that the MOXF acts as a multitimbral sound module.

I don’t have MOXF. I have MOX8.  I made a simple song on MOX8 using sounds of piano and sax.  I saved it on a usb flash drive as a “SMF” file and took it to my laptop and imported the midi file into Cubase.  In Cubase the MIDI shows both piano and sax, but only the first one (piano) could be heard. Can not hear the saxophone. What should I do to be able to hear the Saxophone? Thanks sorry if the first time my question was not clear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2018 @ 07:24 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I don’t have MOXF. I have MOX8.  I made a simple song on MOX8 using sounds of piano and sax.  I saved it on a usb flash drive as a “SMF” file and took it to my laptop and imported the midi file into Cubase.  In Cubase the MIDI shows both piano and sax, but only the first one (piano) could be heard. Can not hear the saxophone. What should I do to be able to hear the Saxophone? Thanks sorry if the first time my question was not clear.

It could be that the MIDI track in Cubase that you imported the SMF to, needs setting to MIDI Channel - ANY, in order to hear the Sax with the Piano.

You could also use the ‘dissolve parts’ function and split all the data up so you can have each instrument on it’s own track, and set them to whatever midi channels you need.

Here is some info on that

This is all providing that you have the MOX set in Song or Pattern Mode, with Voices and Parts set as they were.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2018 @ 11:58 PM
beh
Joined  04-28-2018
philwoodmusic - 01 May 2018 07:24 PM

It could be that the MIDI track in Cubase that you imported the SMF to, needs setting to MIDI Channel - ANY, in order to hear the Sax with the Piano.

You could also use the ‘dissolve parts’ function and split all the data up so you can have each instrument on it’s own track, and set them to whatever midi channels you need.

Here is some info on that

This is all providing that you have the MOX set in Song or Pattern Mode, with Voices and Parts set as they were.

I did the MIDI channels from 1 and 2 to “Any”, still no sound for saxophone.

I tried to dissolve parts, but the “separate channels” is dim, tried the “separate patches” did not do any good.

I did not understand “This is all providing that you have the MOX set in Song or Pattern Mode, with Voices and Parts set as they were.”

Thanks for your guides and being patient. I’m new to all this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2018 @ 03:17 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

ok, don’t worry, everyone here is patient.

There’s something that you’re missing or haven’t quite grasped yet.

Other users have also suggested that you need to use a mode on your MOX which can support multiple parts.  For some reason, you don’t seem to be dealing with that, or acting upon it.

Song Mode on your MOX can support up to 16 parts simultaneously, but Voice mode, for example, can only support 1 part. 

Because you have two simultaneous instruments in your song, they need to have their own part each.

Song Mode is the ideal mode for use when playing back data from Cubase and you need multiple parts simultaneously.

Maybe give us a step by step on how you are doing things, and include some screenshots so that we can all see what’s happening.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2018 @ 08:31 PM
beh
Joined  04-28-2018
philwoodmusic - 02 May 2018 03:17 AM

Other users have also suggested that you need to use a mode on your MOX which can support multiple parts.  For some reason, you don’t seem to be dealing with that, or acting upon it.

Song Mode on your MOX can support up to 16 parts simultaneously, but Voice mode, for example, can only support 1 part. 

Because you have two simultaneous instruments in your song, they need to have their own part each.

Song Mode is the ideal mode for use when playing back data from Cubase and you need multiple parts simultaneously.

Maybe give us a step by step on how you are doing things, and include some screenshots so that we can all see what’s happening.

Thanks, I’ll do post step by step in a couple of days or so.  Thanks for all the efforts and help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2018 @ 12:40 AM
beh
Joined  04-28-2018
philwoodmusic - 02 May 2018 03:17 AM

step by step this is how I did:
Today I recorded another simple song on MOX8 using two tracks (piano, sax).  I recorded the whole thing in “song” mode.  To change the voice from piano to sax, I stayed in “song” mode and used mix.  Saved the song as SMF on a usb flash drive.  Then opened Cubase clicked on empty then import MIDI and then changed the channel for both MIDIs to “Any”.
Only the first MIDI (piano) could be heard.
Thanks

Image Attachments
cubase1.pngcubase3.pngcubase2.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2018 @ 02:43 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

OK.

First of all, a BIG question!  Are you looking to use something other than your MOX, to play back the sound for the MIDI data you now have in Cubase?

If YES, tell us what should be playing it?

If NO and you want to use the MOX to play it back, carry on reading…

It looks to me as if Cubase is routing the midi data to the Halion SE virtual instrument.  I have no idea why that is, or if you set it to do that deliberately.  It could be that you want that, see above questions.

I don’t use Cubase, so I’m not aware of the possibility of it loading up Halion when choosing an empty session.  If that even is a thing?  I assumed an empty session would be an empty session which features just your imported midi tracks.

You definitely don’t need to use MIDI channel ANY. It’s not applicable since all of your midi data is not all lumped on one track.

Do you see where it says ‘All MIDI Inputs’ on the inspector bar for each track, on the left?  Well, just below that are the outputs.

If you want your MOX to play back sounds for the data you have on your Cubase MIDI tracks, they should say something like ‘YamahaMOX8Port1’ on both tracks and NOT Halion SE etc.

Try and change it to that, let us know if you cannot.

Then you should set the channels on those to match the parts that you have set up in Song Mode on your MOX.

So, if Piano is on part 1 in Song Mode, and you haven’t changed anything, then that will need to use MIDI channel 1.  If the Sax is part 2, and you haven’t changed anything, then the sax MIDI track will need to use MIDI channel 2.

(This is all presuming that you have Parts and MIDI channels set as they default on your MOX, e.g, Part 1 on MIDI channel 1, 2 on 2, etc.)

I’ve uploaded a screen cap that I ‘found’, it is for a MOXF8, but it shows the correct input and output settings for a MOXF8, yours will say MOX8, but it should look the same apart from the instrument name differences.

I’m also presuming that you have a MIDI connection to your MOX, 5 pin or USB + driver installed, and that you are able to hear your MOX through amplification or headphones, and most of all that you understand that you still need your MOX in order to hear your Cubase song, if your goal is to have the MOX play back the data that you have in Cubase, for this task, and not something else.

Image Attachments
Fig6.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2018 @ 11:57 PM
beh
Joined  04-28-2018
philwoodmusic - 03 May 2018 02:43 AM

OK.

First of all, a BIG question!  Are you looking to use something other than your MOX, to play back the sound for the MIDI data you now have in Cubase?

If YES, tell us what should be playing it?

If NO and you want to use the MOX to play it back, carry on reading…

It looks to me as if Cubase is routing the midi data to the Halion SE virtual instrument.  I have no idea why that is, or if you set it to do that deliberately.  It could be that you want that, see above questions.

I don’t use Cubase, so I’m not aware of the possibility of it loading up Halion when choosing an empty session.  If that even is a thing?  I assumed an empty session would be an empty session which features just your imported midi tracks.

You definitely don’t need to use MIDI channel ANY. It’s not applicable since all of your midi data is not all lumped on one track.

Do you see where it says ‘All MIDI Inputs’ on the inspector bar for each track, on the left?  Well, just below that are the outputs.

If you want your MOX to play back sounds for the data you have on your Cubase MIDI tracks, they should say something like ‘YamahaMOX8Port1’ on both tracks and NOT Halion SE etc.

Try and change it to that, let us know if you cannot.

Then you should set the channels on those to match the parts that you have set up in Song Mode on your MOX.

So, if Piano is on part 1 in Song Mode, and you haven’t changed anything, then that will need to use MIDI channel 1.  If the Sax is part 2, and you haven’t changed anything, then the sax MIDI track will need to use MIDI channel 2.

(This is all presuming that you have Parts and MIDI channels set as they default on your MOX, e.g, Part 1 on MIDI channel 1, 2 on 2, etc.)

I’ve uploaded a screen cap that I ‘found’, it is for a MOXF8, but it shows the correct input and output settings for a MOXF8, yours will say MOX8, but it should look the same apart from the instrument name differences.

I’m also presuming that you have a MIDI connection to your MOX, 5 pin or USB + driver installed, and that you are able to hear your MOX through amplification or headphones, and most of all that you understand that you still need your MOX in order to hear your Cubase song, if your goal is to have the MOX play back the data that you have in Cubase, for this task, and not something else.

Thanks for following up.
For me, the only two reasons for exporting from MOX8 to Cubase is first to convert the midi file and get a mp3 file, also I like to see if I can learn how Cubase works, editing etc.

The Cubase CD came with the MOX8 when I purchased and when I installed Cubase on my laptop, the Halion SE was also installed.

Yesterday I read the article: “Moving a MOX6/MOX8 SONG into a Cubase Project”.  I downloaded REMOTE TOOLS and tried to install.  It said it was installed successfully (took only a few seconds to install).  However in the article it says:"you have properly installed the REMOTE TOOLS (which includes the EXTENSIONS) Cubase will ask you if you want to use the Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 as your ASIO interface.
Yes, you do!”
but after installation the Cubase did not ask any questions.  I tried installing it again and rebooted the laptop still no questions, got frustrated and that was it.

Seems too complicated.  That’s why your help is very much appreciated.  Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2018 @ 01:35 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I see.

You probably should have titled this thread “How do I make an mp3 of my MOX song” because with a MIDI data export, all you’ve really done is moved your song data elsewhere (to Cubase) and you are not really any closer to making an audio file, at this point, than you were when your song was happily playing in song mode on your MOX.

There are two good ways to make an audio file from a song on your MOX:

1) - The MOX is in itself an audio interface, and you can use the USB ‘To Host’ to digitally record your music to an audio track in Cubase.

2) - If you already have a separate audio interface for your computer, you can record the MOX’s left and right analog outputs with it, again to an audio track in Cubase.

Once you’ve done that, you can export an audio file from Cubase which can then be converted to an mp3.  Your version of Cubase may or may not export directly to mp3, too, saving you that extra conversion.

If your song is complete as it is and you just want an audio file of it to listen to, or to put on CD then the task is fairly straight forward.

If you need to record each instrument separately on its own audio track in Cubase, for mixing and processing, then it becomes a little bit more complicated, because you have to keep the separate recordings in musical time with each other.

It depends what you want to do.

There are many forum posts here about either way, both for the MOX and MOXF, because they both work the same way for this particular subject.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Waveform 9.1
Next Topic:

Anyone using Motfif XF Editor VST standalone with DP8? ››