mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "conecting moxf8 with ableton live"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 11:55 AM
hamham
Total Posts:  9
Joined  04-05-2018

hi guys,
maybe somebody can help me, i am a little bit confused…
i have a moxf8 and i have a midi conection with my ableton live DAW and i can record the midi signal from the moxf8 already, but without a sound. just with a sound plug in in ableton, i get a sound. But now i also want to record the full sound of the moxf8 in my DAW as midi data. how can i get this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 12:12 PM
djudson
Total Posts:  46
Joined  02-01-2013

The sound of the MOXF8 is audio, not midi, if I’m not mistaken.  You need to bring the audio from the L+R audio outputs into Ableton Live via an audio interface.  (Connect an audio interface to your computer, open Ableton, configure your Audio settings to recognize the audio interface).  Open up an audio track (not a midi track) in Ableton live and set the I/O to match whatever inputs you are using on your audio interface for the MOXF L+R outputs.  Record-arm the Ableton track and you should see signal coming in.  You can then record directly into the Ableton audio track.

David

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 12:25 PM
hamham
Joined  04-05-2018

shure, i know how to record the adio signal. but as i know, there must be a way to get the sound as a midi signal from the moxf. in my opinion it has something to do with the master mode from the moxf…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 01:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
hamham - 05 April 2018 11:55 AM

hi guys,

Welcome to the forum.

hamham -

maybe somebody can help me, i am a little bit confused…
i have a moxf8 and i have a midi conection with my ableton live DAW and i can record the midi signal from the moxf8 already, but without a sound. just with a sound plug in in ableton, i get a sound. But now i also want to record the full sound of the moxf8 in my DAW as midi data. how can i get this?

Questions:
1) What computer platform and operating system are you running?
2) Have you installed the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver appropriate for that computer?
3) Have you selected the MOXF as Audio Input and Output Device in Ableton Live Preferences?

If needed, see https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=MOXF for the correct YS USB Driver.

This support article, although a bit old and concentrating on Cubase, should provide the general idea:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/moxf6_moxf8_basic_audio_recording

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 01:46 PM
djudson
Joined  02-01-2013

This post might help:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774265-Using-external-hardware

But, for the definitive answer you should post on the MOXF blog at the yamahasynth.com forum.  BadMister (Phil C.) will set you on the right course.  He is great and extremely helpful provided you explain what you are trying to do.

David

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 01:47 PM
djudson
Joined  02-01-2013

I didn’t mean to imply that you need to post over at yamahasynth.com, as 5pinDIN is also a great resource in my experience.

David

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 04:53 PM
hamham
Joined  04-05-2018

thanks for the answers!
i have windows 10 and the yamaha driver is already installed. i also have selected this driver as in and output

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 04:56 PM
hamham
Joined  04-05-2018

i would like to know, if this is principle possible or with which keywords i have to search on the internet :D. i found lots of things, but nothing, which describes what i want.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 05:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
hamham - 05 April 2018 04:56 PM

i would like to know, if this is principle possible or with which keywords i have to search on the internet :D. i found lots of things, but nothing, which describes what i want.

My impression was that you wanted to record audio from the MOXF in your DAW. Is that correct? If so, that can be done - the MOXF can provide audio via USB, as long as the proper driver is installed and the DAW is properly configured.

I don’t use Ableton Live, so I can’t provide detailed information on setting it up. One thing I can think of is port setup. Make sure that you’ve selected Port 1 for audio in and out - it will probably be shown as MOXF8-1 if your MOXF is being recognized correctly. Hopefully another member can help with other details.

Otherwise, it would be helpful if you can explain in a bit more detail what isn’t working.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 05, 2018 @ 06:49 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
hamham - 05 April 2018 11:55 AM

But now i also want to record the full sound of the moxf8 in my DAW as midi data. how can i get this?

I read it another way.

It sounds like you have already been using an instrument track to play a VSTi with your MOXF and you want the same kind of thing for your MOXF’s internal sounds.

A midi track set to channel 1 and MOXF Port 1 is all that’s needed in Ableton if you only want to record midi data and use it to play back sounds from your MOXF.

If you want to do this with multiple MOXF sounds all at once, then you need to put the MOXF in a multi timbral mode such as Song or Pattern Mode.

If you just want one sound then Voice mode is fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 01:31 AM
hamham
Joined  04-05-2018

@philwoodmusic

yes, thats what i want :) i want to record the sounds from the moxf as midi data, the same way i would record midi data from a DAW with a plug in. but now my plug in (where the sound is coming from) is the moxf (i hope you understand..)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 05:18 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Now that, thanks to philwoodmusic, the issue has been clarified, perhaps the cause of the problem has also been revealed. The MOXF plug-in is VST3. Ableton Live 9 and earlier versions didn’t support VST3, and I believe that’s also the case for Ableton Live 10, the most recent version. If anyone knows that’s no longer the case, please post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 08:20 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

When I said VSTi, I was speaking broadly about soft synths, or virtual instruments and not specific DAW plugin formats. Sorry, my bad, but you are absolutely correct.

I have another idea though, and I don’t think it concerns the editor plugin at all.

I’m wondering if the OP actually has the MOXF’s Left and Right analog outputs connected to suitable amplification and considers JUST the USB connection between MOXF and computer enough to do the job, when it isn’t.

It could well be that when the OP was previously playing a virtual instrument in Ableton with the MOXF via USB MIDI, that the audio from that was in fact coming out of a computer sound card or other audio interface and not the MOXF. So, faced with the idea of setting up a MIDI channel for the MOXF in Ableton, he of course doesn’t hear anything because the MOXF isn’t connected to amplification.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 10:35 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
philwoodmusic - 06 April 2018 08:20 AM

When I said VSTi, I was speaking broadly about soft synths, or virtual instruments and not specific DAW plugin formats. Sorry, my bad, but you are absolutely correct.

No problem, we’re all seemingly handicapped by lack of sufficient information.

philwoodmusic -

I have another idea though, and I don’t think it concerns the editor plugin at all.

I’m wondering if the OP actually has the MOXF’s Left and Right analog outputs connected to suitable amplification and considers JUST the USB connection between MOXF and computer enough to do the job, when it isn’t.

It could well be that when the OP was previously playing a virtual instrument in Ableton with the MOXF via USB MIDI, that the audio from that was in fact coming out of a computer sound card or other audio interface and not the MOXF. So, faced with the idea of setting up a MIDI channel for the MOXF in Ableton, he of course doesn’t hear anything because the MOXF isn’t connected to amplification.

That conjecture seems as plausible as any other in this thread.

It would be helpful if hamham described how his MOXF, computer, speakers, etc., are configured, and what the expectations are.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 06, 2018 @ 11:16 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
5pinDIN - 06 April 2018 10:35 AM

That conjecture seems as plausible as any other in this thread.

There’s been similar posts like this in recent times, so it’s my only plausible conjecture.

Quite a few people have decided not to use the analog outputs on the MOXF because there’s a USB connection available and they assume that it must be a better way of hearing the MOXF.

I think it’s just a habitual computer way of doing things, a kind of autopilot based on convenience.

You can get toasters with USB ports, but the toast doesn’t come out of them and nor would it taste good if it did.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2018 @ 07:26 AM
hamham
Joined  04-05-2018

First i wanne say thank you to your fast answers! I´m very thankfull! By the way, i come from Germany, so sorry for my english, i give my best…

I drawed my Hardware Set-Up and i hope you can help me a little bit better with this..

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Automatization
Next Topic:

Arpeggio libraries for MOXF ››