mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need piano advice!"

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 03:05 PM
smithjr
Total Posts:  5
Joined  02-21-2018

Hey there, guys! Is anybody here, who knows anything about piano? Need your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 03:12 PM
smithjr
Joined  02-21-2018

I’m learning to play piano and I have Sohmer Baby Grand 1960 Piano. My teacher has Steinway piano...And the difference is amazing! Steinway plays so smoothly, and the key stroke is short and smooth (unlike my piano). It sounds much more better!! I can afford a Steinway or something like this.., but I wonder if, as a beginner, I really need such a nice piano, how do you think?One more question - what’s the difference between horizontal and vertical piano? Found this article http://pianobrands.info/types-of-pianos/ , and it seems clear for me, but what about the sound? Thanks in advance for any replies to this post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 03:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I think you should learn on a piano which you enjoy playing. People often spend little time practicing, or even quit playing altogether, when the instrument (not just piano) doesn’t satisfy them.

That doesn’t necessarily mean you need to buy a Steinway. It’s possible that characteristics of the action of your current piano can be adjusted to your satisfaction by a good piano technician. Perhaps your piano teacher might be able to provide a referral. I suggest investigating that before considering purchase of another piano.

Of course, different pianos sound different - that can even be the case for two of the same model. Your Sohmer might never sound like your teacher’s Steinway, but a properly adjusted action might make it easier to obtain a tone you find acceptable.

If that doesn’t work out, since you can apparently afford something else, you probably won’t regret getting a piano you like.

Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 03:44 PM
smithjr
Joined  02-21-2018

Maybe you’re right. Steinway costs really a lot!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 03:45 PM
smithjr
Joined  02-21-2018

Thanks for your opinion!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2018 @ 11:31 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Unlike a mass produced instruments, acoustic pianos really have individual traits, both in action and sound.

Add to that, acoustic pianos have myriads of mechanics and linkage, that can go out of adjustment and/or wear over time.  In that regard, they are much like automobiles.  Two vintage cars sharing the same make, model, year, trim, etc., can drive and feel very differently.

As mentioned by 5pinDIN, even brand new, identical pianos can play or sound differently.

I would suggest that if you plan to acquire an acoustic piano, be sure to actually test-play that specific piano yourself, as a substantial component of the decision process...rather than putting too much emphasis on the make or model, or any other arbitrary specification.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2018 @ 07:19 AM
smithjr
Joined  02-21-2018

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2018 @ 05:47 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

I agree with above advice.

Yamaha has smooth action pianos at various price and timbral points.

No need to take forever on this, but also don’t rush it needlessly. Go to your local piano stores and play pianos. Develop a sense of what draws you in.

[ Ignore ]