mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New Sounds For S90ES"

Posted on: December 06, 2017 @ 02:06 PM
mudjaw
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-06-2017

Hi, I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice.  I own an analog recording studio and use all real-life instruments in my studio.  I do not have room at this time for a grand piano, Wurlitzer 200A, and Fender Rhodes.  I do have a 60’s B3 and Leslie, however.  I have always been a big fan of Yamaha so I purchased a used S90ES hoping this would fill the gap until I expand my tracking room.  Players like the feel of the weighted keys but I am hoping to improve on the sound quality for the 3 primary sounds I listed.  What options do I have to load new sounds?  I am not a keyboard player and am not knowledgeable about the different formats (FX, SX, etc.) listed on the products page.  I have no problem selling the S90ES and purchasing something else if that is your recommendation. I record direct out to tape and do not use MIDI.  Thanks, Mudjaw

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2017 @ 04:06 PM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017

I think you have plenty of super sounds with your ES90, if you want to add more sounds perhaps you can think of a MOXF8 (for a cheaper option) than the Motif XF8, which are the keyboards that will allow you to add sounds to the keyboard.

However for any of these you’ll have to consider that you’ll have to buy a Flash board that is not included and depending on your taste either buy sound libraries or create your own sound and for that purpose you’ll have to purchase an editor and connect it to your computer if you were designing sounds for your MOXF8.
(http://www.easysounds.eu/MOXF_FlashGuide_en.pdf)

Since you’re not a keyboard player it will be way easier purchasing the libraries. Anyways you’ll have to research a lot over the internet.

Good luck on all of this

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2017 @ 06:33 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Hello Mudjaw and welcome to Motifator,com.

Since you already have an S90ES it would seem a bit wasteful to sell it and buy something else, just to get some new sounds, especially when you can get plenty of new sounds right here on this very site!

The shop here at Motifator.com sells a fair number of new voice libraries for S90ES.

A ‘voice’ library, in Yamaha speak, refers to new Voices that have been programmed using the instrument’s own internal waveform (essentially the samples on which its sounds are based). This is as distinct from a ‘sample’ library; relevant only to an instrument that has the ability to import new samples from outside - something the S90ES does not have!

Sample libraries definitely have their place and use but there are also costs (sample libraries normally command a higher price, plus you most likely will need to purchase after-market memory in which new samples can be stored.

While it may seem limiting not to be able to load new samples, the truth is - especially on an instrument like the S90ES, which boasts such a large and varied waverom) - that skilled programming can create a palette of new ‘sounds’ that you never dreamt were inside your instrument already.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2017 @ 10:10 AM
mudjaw
Joined  12-06-2017

Thanks for the explanation.  I will try a few of the sound libraries before I make a decision to look at other keyboards.  Any suggestions to expand library of upright pianos?  I see everything I am looking for in the S90 ES store except these.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2017 @ 11:45 AM
mudjaw
Joined  12-06-2017

Nix my question on uprights.  I est my S90 ES back to factory settings and found plenty we can work with.

[ Ignore ]