mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF6 & 88 Keys controller, any suggestion?"

Posted on: November 30, 2017 @ 11:28 AM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017

Hi guys,

Anyone who could tell a good experience using an 88 keyboard or controller with a MOXF6?

I purchased a MOXF6 due to a low budget, I’m still paying some installments, I owned several yamaha keyboards and I have no access to my old MOTIF ES7, the MOXF6 keybed is playable but I need more keys since I’m used to the feel of the MOTIF ES and playing with 76 keys. I wouldn’t like to spend too much otherwise I would have purchased a MOXF8.

I’m planning on buying an 88 keyboard or controller, either a used one or a new one (budget dependant), I know the 88 keys will feel heavier than the synth feel of the MOTIF ES7 and that’s fine. I’d like your input about this matter.

I think I only need the keys and not other controllers since the controllers on the MOXF6 are fine (mod wheel, sustain pedal, pitch bend, foot and switch controller, knobs… man I like this keyboard, it’s just that I need more keys)

I have considered purchasing a Nektar LX88+ or a used classic MOTIF 8 or any other used Yamaha or Roland keyboard. I’m also considering the unit will have to have a MIDI OUT port since I wouldn’t like to always carry my laptop.

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2017 @ 01:12 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi RHproducer,

If this is intended for gigging, then I’d recommend trading up to the MOXF8 if you possibly can.  The keys feel very nice for the money and it’s super light.  Then you could sell your MOXF6 on.

I spent quite a lot of time browsing around the used Motif market this year looking at some ES, XS and XF’s of varying sizes.  I was very lucky to find a brand new XF7 at a fantastic price in the end, but the experience taught me that used Motifs are still holding their value well and there might not be much between a nice condition used Motif 7/8 Classic or ES7/8 and a used MOXF8. 

The cheapest Motifs I saw were usually pretty beaten up and if you’re anything like me, you’ll want something clean and well looked after. 

Motifs are probably holding their value because Motifs have such a great reputation and there are also many people who are underwhelmed with the Montage and still see the Motif as their optimum option.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2017 @ 02:47 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I’d like the 88 keyboard for the studio

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2017 @ 10:06 PM
rhuff
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-23-2012

I have both a MOXF6 and a Nektar Impact LX88+.

I have to agree with philwoodmusic that purchasing the MOXF8 is your best way out.  The Nektar option means you’re spending another $300 and now housing two keyboards in your studio.  Used, good quality 88 key synths are rare and still pretty expensive.  The Yamaha S80 has a great keyboard, and is relatively inexpensive, but good luck finding one.

I use both the MOXF6 and Nektar for church work, but never together.  I use either the MOXF6 alone or my Nektar paired with my computer and a Roland JV2080 depending on what I’m up to that week.  Last Sunday, I used the MOXF6 paired with a computer so I could run Hauptwerk and still close out the service with an eight track sequenced number.  Portability is king because I can’t leave my equipment set up.

At home, I have my MOXF6 and a MOTIF XS8, but the MOXF6 is usually only racked while I program something in it for Sunday.

The Nektar is built for DAW integration.  It’s a quality keyboard, but has the lightly weighted keys similar to the MOXF6.  I’ve played piano (real pianos) for nearly 50 years and wondered if I could get used to it.  I did.  Portability is king, but I can’t say I really like it.  I like coming home to my MOTIF XS8.  I’m not saying anything bad about the Nektar, but put the $300 Nektar next to the $1600 (used) MOTIF XS8 and you get what you pay for.

You say you don’t need the extra knobs and sliders, so why pay for it?  If you just want the keys, used Keystation 88’s can be had for less money and still have the MIDI connection you’ll need to connect it to your MOXF6.

Sadly, I’ve found that there are cheap 88 key controllers and good 88 key controllers, but there are no cheap good 88 key controllers.  I’d like to see the MOXF8, but without the synth—just the controller—but nobody fills that market.

You and I should have bought the MOXF8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 12:43 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017
rhuff - 06 December 2017 10:06 PM

I have both a MOXF6 and a Nektar Impact LX88+.

....You and I should have bought the MOXF8.

Thank you rhuff for your thoughts, I agree, I should’ve bought the MOXF8, however like the 7th angel said: “it is done”...hahaha

I think it won’t bother me having two keyboards, for a gig I’ll take my MOXF6 and for my studio or for a bigger gig I could go with the two keyboards, I’ll use the MOXF6 for synth leads, pads, etc and for rhodes or acoustic pianos the 88 keys controller.

The light feel of the LX88+ wouldn’t bother me as well, but perhaps you can help me with this question: are the LX88+ keys as wide and long as in a full sized keys piano?

How are the LX keys compared to your Motif 8?

You know, there are some passages or runs in C# that are a bit difficult to perform with smaller keys and I would like to practice a bit with bigger keys, either semi-weighted or hammered action.

Your thoughts guys and what I heard from other fellow musicians make me think that I’ll go next year either for the LX88+ or a M-Audio hammer 88 (which is bundled with some VSTs that worth more than $100) and pair it with my MOXF6.

I appreciate your comments, greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 01:50 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

It might be worth you looking around the stage pianos or digital pianos for Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kurzweil.  Many of those don’t have mod wheels and pitch bends though.

The Kurzweil SP 4-8 might work for you.  Good price for 88 keys and well built.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SP4-8

They had an SP4-7 but it has been discontinued.  That might be going at a very low price if you can find one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/kurzweil-sp4-7-76-note-stage-keyboard

A lot of people didn’t like that there’s no rounding on the corners of keys on that one though.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 03:42 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017
philwoodmusic - 07 December 2017 01:50 PM

It might be worth you looking around the stage pianos or digital pianos for Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kurzweil.  Many of those don’t have mod wheels and pitch bends though.

The Kurzweil SP 4-8 might work for you.  Good price for 88 keys and well built.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SP4-8

They had an SP4-7 but it has been discontinued.  That might be going at a very low price if you can find one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/kurzweil-sp4-7-76-note-stage-keyboard

A lot of people didn’t like that there’s no rounding on the corners of keys on that one though.

Thank you for the advice, I had considered keyboards like these but it’d be more convenient a MX88 due to lower price and known sounds. I recently tried a Roland FP30, Roland JUNO DS and of course a Yamaha P155, Roland A-88, etc… my preference is on Yamaha’s.The MX88 would be my first choice instead of buying another MOXF8 if I were not in a low budget.

The LX88+ is around $320 and the M-Audio hammer 88 is around $400 which I think I can afford during the first quarter next year. Perhaps this way it will work fine:

The MOXF6 $1200 + M-Audio hammer 88 $400 = $1600
which is still a hundred dollars less than the MOXF8 ($1700) and I’d have two keyboards with more sounds (VSTs for my studio) and the ability to take the smaller for gigs.

It’s good having friends that will help you find the way, I appreciate you thought guys, what do you think am I getting the right path?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 04:34 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I completely forgot about the MX88. I imagine that feels the same as a MOXF8.

In terms of M Audio, I’ve observed a few patterns with key sensitivity.  I’ve never bought one, but I have played them now and again.  The first one I played, I noticed that I couldn’t get a sensitivity setting that felt right. On a Yamaha weighted board of any kind, ‘Normal’ feels fine to me, and on a synth action board, I like to play with a ‘Soft’ setting.  Those settings just work on Yamahas, but could I get a setting that worked on an M Audio? No!

The nearest setting felt half a setting out.

This seems to be a running pattern for M Audio keyboards from my point of view.  So, really watch that one if you are going with an M Audio because I’ve only experienced that problem with M Audio gear and there’s nothing weird about my playing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2017 @ 05:20 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017
philwoodmusic - 07 December 2017 04:34 PM

I completely forgot about the MX88. I imagine that feels the same as a MOXF8.

In terms of M Audio, I’ve observed a few patterns with key sensitivity.  I’ve never bought one, but I have played them now and again.  The first one I played, I noticed that I couldn’t get a sensitivity setting that felt right. On a Yamaha weighted board of any kind, ‘Normal’ feels fine to me, and on a synth action board, I like to play with a ‘Soft’ setting.  Those settings just work on Yamahas, but could I get a setting that worked on an M Audio? No!

The nearest setting felt half a setting out.

This seems to be a running pattern for M Audio keyboards from my point of view.  So, really watch that one if you are going with an M Audio because I’ve only experienced that problem with M Audio gear and there’s nothing weird about my playing.

I appreciate your information, that’s exactly what I needed to hear (well I mean to read) that’s valuable information, I’ll proceed with care. In case someone else has tested the M-Audio Hammer88 Editor, perhaps you guys can tell your experience.

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2017 @ 10:37 AM
rhuff
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-23-2012

The keys of my Steinway and my MOTIF 8 XS are both 5 3/4” deep.  My memory of the Nektar is that it’s the same as the MOXF6—about 5 1/2”.  Subtle difference.

My experience with the M-Audios was the same as philwoodmusic’s.  I think I narrowed it down to the sensitivity of the M-Audio velocity curve rather than the shape of it.  The Nektar has a similar problem when trying to play piano music.  On the JV2080, there is a velocity sensitivity adjustment that tunes that out and it’s pretty playable.  I don’t know that I’d do that on the MOXF6 because that would make it’s own keyboard out of whack.

On a related note, neither the Nektar nor the MOXF6 have aftertouch, but the MOXF’s tone generator does.  If you find a keyboard with aftertouch, it’ll work on the MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2017 @ 12:58 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017
rhuff - 08 December 2017 10:37 AM

The keys of my Steinway and my MOTIF 8 XS are both 5 3/4” deep.  My memory of the Nektar is that it’s the same as the MOXF6—about 5 1/2”.  Subtle difference.

My experience with the M-Audios was the same as philwoodmusic’s.  I think I narrowed it down to the sensitivity of the M-Audio velocity curve rather than the shape of it.  The Nektar has a similar problem when trying to play piano music.  On the JV2080, there is a velocity sensitivity adjustment that tunes that out and it’s pretty playable.  I don’t know that I’d do that on the MOXF6 because that would make it’s own keyboard out of whack.

On a related note, neither the Nektar nor the MOXF6 have aftertouch, but the MOXF’s tone generator does.  If you find a keyboard with aftertouch, it’ll work on the MOXF.

Thank you for the info,perhaps I’ll wait for more time and will end up buying a Yamaha MX88. In regards of after-touch and keyboards I like the behringer motor 61 controller, its keybed seems to be fine but I rather go for 88 or at least 76 keys with bigger size than an aftertouch controller.

[ Ignore ]