mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "motifxf 6 to 8"

Posted on: November 21, 2017 @ 08:50 AM
musickeysman
Total Posts:  53
Joined  08-15-2003

My motif classis 6 has died I am looking into a motif XF6

I have played on a friends motif XF8 other than the weighted keys is there any differences between the 2 models

Will the expansion boards fit in the 6 ? like the 8

Do they both have to same output and quality of sounds

Are you able to load libraries as I can do in my XS6

thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2017 @ 10:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
musickeysman - 21 November 2017 08:50 AM

My motif classis 6 has died I am looking into a motif XF6

I have played on a friends motif XF8 other than the weighted keys is there any differences between the 2 models

Operation of the two models is mostly the same. Of course, 61 keys versus 88 requires use of the OCTAVE buttons on the XF6 to reach the lowest and highest notes, when necessary. Obviously, the XF6 is lighter and smaller than the XF8, making portability easier. Boot time is somewhat longer with an XF than an XS.

musickeysman -

Will the expansion boards fit in the 6 ? like the 8

The optional flash memory modules and FireWire interface fit either model.

musickeysman -

Do they both have to same output and quality of sounds

The sound generating engine is identical. Some users have noted a slight difference when comparing the two models due to the dynamics of weighted versus semi-weighted keys. That can typically be dealt with by adjusting the Velocity Curve setting.

musickeysman -

Are you able to load libraries as I can do in my XS6

Yes, any libraries that can be loaded to your XS6 could be loaded to an XF6 - but not necessarily in the same way. If a library doesn’t include samples, loading it to an XF is identical to doing it with an XS.

However, there can be loading differences with sample libraries. The XS uses optional DIMM memory (SDRAM), and up to 2GB of it can be installed. The XF comes standard with 128MB of SDRAM, and slots for two optional flash memory modules. Each of those modules can have capacity of 512MB, 1GB (1024MB), or 2GB.

SDRAM is quite a bit faster to load than the flash modules. However, SDRAM is “volatile” - what’s loaded doesn’t remain in it when power to the Motif is turned off. Flash modules retain their data between power cycles, so it doesn’t have to be reloaded each time the Motif is powered on.

The size of a sample library, and whether you frequently need to change what’s loaded, can make a difference in how convenient an XF is versus an XS. If the sample library is under 128MB, and you just want to load it temporarily, the procedure with either an XS or XF is basically the same. With an XF, anything larger than 128MB must be installed to a flash module. As I mentioned, that will take more time than if loading to an XS, but the XF won’t need to be reloaded after power is cycled.

If you often load large, different sample libraries in your XS, I suggest that with an XF you install the highest capacity flash modules possible. If the flash capacity is too small, loading a new library will require the previous contents to be erased, and the new data installed, a slow process.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2017 @ 10:14 AM
musickeysman
Total Posts:  53
Joined  08-15-2003

Thank you so Much… That was very informative and covered all my question and more.
In search for my xf6 today :)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ SYSEX Command for switch part in a song
Next Topic:

Sierra mac Ethernet xf ››