mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading WAV audio clip and getting it to hold"

Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 12:37 PM
CaroMDS
Total Posts:  15
Joined  06-25-2008

I have a Motif ES7, and have been reading my user manual as well as information from various forum entries about sampling and loading WAV files. I managed to import a WAV audio clip, but I can’t get it to HOLD.  I went through the following steps:

1.  Initialized a drum VOICE : Dr:Drum’ Bass UDR:030 (B14) and changed its name to “S-Voice”.  (I decided to use a drum VOICE, because I understand that by using a drum voice, only one key is necessary to trigger the playback of an audio clip.  Also it has the possibility of staying on HOLD, so that I don’t have to keep pressure on the key.)
2.  Loaded my WAV audio clip to “S-Voice” from my USB key and placed it on C-6.
3.  Opened “S-Voice” and pressed EDIT.
4.  Went to KEY EDIT mode ( by pushing #1 button), and pushed F4 (AMP), then SF3 (AEG), where I changed Decay2Time to Hold.
5.  Pressed STORE
6.  I tried playing the voice on C-6.  The audio clip plays when I keep the key down, but it doesn’t hold.
7.  Opened the SONG I was working on and put S-Voice on one of my tracks.
Again, the audio clip plays when I constantly push down the key, but it doesn’t hold.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 01:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/443903/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 03:18 PM
CaroMDS
Joined  06-25-2008

Thank you for the link!  I will study it and see where I get.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 11:34 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
MDS - 04 November 2017 03:18 PM

Thank you for the link!  I will study it and see where I get.

You’re welcome. Let us know if you need further help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 12:00 AM
CaroMDS
Joined  06-25-2008

Getting back to the link you suggested ... I checked out what ASICE advised, and found that there are 3 hyphens (---) where the release time was to be changed, therefore I couldn’t change anything.

I checked out Dreamflight’s advice while looking at the S-Voice I had created and consulting pages 202 and 204 of my manual.  My S-Voice (formerly a drum kit) was correctly labeled as a USER WAV type in the OSC setting.  The AssignMode was set to single, and Velocity Sensitivity was set to 0.

I like Bad_Mister’s sense of humour.  :-)

I have a Motif ES and I can do most anything I need in just a few seconds. LOL. The point here is, once you know “how” it is easy. Just like riding a 2-wheel bicycle, very difficult the first time you do it, and easy from then on.

When I wrote to you first, I thought I had done the following step correctly:
use it in a DRUM KIT… as you realize (or not) Drum envelopes are different from keyboard envelopes… because drums cannot HOLD notes. If you tell a drum to hit and hold the bass note for a whole note, they can’t. The full envelope of the sound plays when they strike a key.  So as pointed out in a post above, the DRUM KIT Voice is the perfect place to place a sample that you want to play completely without holding down the key. The Drum AEG (Amplitude Envelope Generator) can be set to HOLD the sound forever, if necessary. Indeed, this is what I was hoping for by setting the DECAY 2 TIME to ¨HOLD”

I don’t understand the following part, but I don’t think I use the sequencer.  So for the time being ...
place the sample on a Track of the sequencer and have a note-on event HOLD the note (in place of you holding the note with your finger). This can be set to hold the sound for a specific duration. Say the audio clip you have is 16 bars (@ 4/4 time) you can have that duration (called GATE) set in the sequencer Event List. for 16x4 = 64 Beats

EUREKA! This step was the one I hadn’t done.  Didn’t understand at first, but by using the Find function in the PDF file of the manual, I found it on page 84.
The RELEASE Time setting in a Drum kit when set to maximum for DECAY 2 TIME will hold the note forever ("HOLD").  Because as mentioned, Drum Kit notes have a parameter called RECEIVE NOTE OFF, which when set to OFF continue to play the sound until otherwise instructed by the envelope. If the envelope is set to HOLD they play, literally forever…

To make a long story short, I’ve been reading and rereading for days.  Now, I can sleep again.  :-) Thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 06:42 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

Yes, if the note can’t decay (due to AEG Decay 2 TIME being set to HOLD), and Note-off (generated when your finger is lifted off a key) is prevented from being received, then the sample will continue to play.

Sorry you’ve been losing sleep, but glad you’ve got things working now.

[ Ignore ]