mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Advancing to next voice"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 09:40 AM
EricMonroe
Total Posts:  71
Joined  03-19-2016

I had a Rhodes Chroma that had a nice feature… each patch (voice) had a setting that where you could set the next voice (your next voice being used in the song), and it was trigger by a footswitch.

Is there any feature in the XF that is close to this? *would be happy even if I have to press a button that advances.

Would want to do this in performance and mast mode as well.

And… what are other solutions that live players can use to move to the next voice? (clearly it could be midi controlled)

Thank you!

Eric

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 11:45 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 04 November 2017 09:40 AM

I had a Rhodes Chroma that had a nice feature… each patch (voice) had a setting that where you could set the next voice (your next voice being used in the song), and it was trigger by a footswitch.

Is there any feature in the XF that is close to this? *would be happy even if I have to press a button that advances.

Would want to do this in performance and mast mode as well.

You can advance through all Voices, or selected Performances and Songs/Patterns, as well as Masters, using a foot switch with the XF. For Voice mode, placing the Voices in order in a User bank would be required.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/447209/
It discusses the XS, but should be directly applicable to the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2017 @ 07:26 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

Thank you 5pinDin, I knew I could count on you.

I was able to find the XF equivalent settings and can successfully increment one voice/perf etc. Happy.

2 questions:

1. I was excited to see that 99 would decrement. However surprised to find that no other controller could go above 95! So I can only go one way? Does that sound right?

2. And then that leaves the MFC10 solution posted in 2009… is that still a valid product or is anything new that may assist easy voice changes?

(btw, I am shocked how much easier it is to change voices with foot rather than hands… as it is surprisingly distracting)

thank you!!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2017 @ 10:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 06 November 2017 07:26 PM

Thank you 5pinDin, I knew I could count on you.

I was able to find the XF equivalent settings and can successfully increment one voice/perf etc. Happy.

I’m glad that works for you. However, I need to clarify something I posted. (One of the hazards of owning both an XS and an XF is that I occasionally forget they have some operational differences.) Incrementing and decrementing Performances, Songs/Patterns, Masters, etc., with the XF is strictly a global setting done in Utility mode. (On the XS, other than for Voices, individual Performances, Songs, etc., could be programmed for inc/dec.)

EricMonroe -

2 questions:

1. I was excited to see that 99 would decrement. However surprised to find that no other controller could go above 95! So I can only go one way? Does that sound right?

Unfortunately, that’s correct. Only the foot switch can be assigned to CC#98/99.

EricMonroe -

2. And then that leaves the MFC10 solution posted in 2009… is that still a valid product or is anything new that may assist easy voice changes?

As far as I know, sending CC#98/99 via MIDI doesn’t inc/dec.

If you aren’t already using Mixings for Voice selection…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live1
...perhaps it’s worth trying. Although it requires using a hand, switching Voices can be done without cutting off notes, which might be a reasonable trade-off.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2017 @ 06:59 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

If you aren’t already using Mixings for Voice selection…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live1
...perhaps it’s worth trying. Although it requires using a hand, switching Voices can be done without cutting off notes, which might be a reasonable trade-off.

Ha! Wow! LOL OMG. This opens up a whole new dimension. I totally get it.

From previous voices running over while I start new ones… to: well I put 8 voices on a midi channel and split the keyboard up with 8 different voices.

AND each song can have its own ‘mix’ so its a great way to organize songs. WOW!

I am on a steep learning curve, of course, I am confused as to why I don’t see my saved mix in the song mode… only when I press the saved ‘song’ and then press the ‘mixing’ mode lamp - then I see my ‘mix’ and my voices.

Unlike the example songs that come stock… where I see a nice list of ‘tracks’ in song mode and they emulate the same ‘tracks’ as in the mix.

My saved ‘songs’ and mixes haves no visual that its there until I go into Mixing.

So if you have ideas there thats great, otherwise I will keep plugging away at my reborn synth and my reborn gameplan. I am in heaven and my XF is on steroids.

Using Melas to enhance Mix editing of course.

thanks!!! Eric

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2017 @ 07:10 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

Just because I CAN. LOL

(The top 8 are in ONE midi channel)

Image Attachments
2017-11-07.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2017 @ 07:23 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

I am on a steep learning curve, of course, I am confused as to why I don’t see my saved mix in the song mode… only when I press the saved ‘song’ and then press the ‘mixing’ mode lamp - then I see my ‘mix’ and my voices.

Unlike the example songs that come stock… where I see a nice list of ‘tracks’ in song mode and they emulate the same ‘tracks’ as in the mix.

My saved ‘songs’ and mixes haves no visual that its there until I go into Mixing.

So if you have ideas there thats great, otherwise I will keep plugging away at my reborn synth and my reborn gameplan. I am in heaven and my XF is on steroids.

thanks!!! Eric

ahh… I see so far it has something to do with the ‘parts’ being on same midi channel… but not clear why they go ‘blank’ on the synth screen (yet they do not go ‘blank’ in the Melas software… hmmm. Scratching head)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2017 @ 10:23 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 07 November 2017 06:59 PM

Ha! Wow! LOL OMG. This opens up a whole new dimension. I totally get it.

From previous voices running over while I start new ones… to: well I put 8 voices on a midi channel and split the keyboard up with 8 different voices.

AND each song can have its own ‘mix’ so its a great way to organize songs. WOW!

There’s a reason why the Motifs are considered to be “deep” - and you’ve only begun to dig in a bit.  :-)

EricMonroe - 07 November 2017 06:59 PM

thanks!!! Eric

You’re welcome!

Now I’ll try to address the blank screen entries…

EricMonroe - 07 November 2017 07:23 PM

ahh… I see so far it has something to do with the ‘parts’ being on same midi channel… but not clear why they go ‘blank’ on the synth screen (yet they do not go ‘blank’ in the Melas software… hmmm. Scratching head)

I presume that what you’re experiencing is not seeing entries in the “Voice” column when in SONG Play mode with [F1](Track View) selected. (If that’s not what you’re referring to, please explain in more detail.)

First, an explanation of terms and how they relate might help - please bear with me…
A Voice is assigned to a Part. Parts are assigned a MIDI Receive Channel. The default Part assignment is a one-to-one relationship with the MIDI channels - Part 1 on Channel 1, Part 2 on Channel 2, etc. - but can be edited. A Part’s Voice can be played by MIDI data received on the assigned channel. Parts receive.

A Track is where sequence MIDI data is stored, such as Note-on, etc. Tracks send MIDI data on their assigned Transmit Channel. The default Track assignment is a one-to-one relationship with the MIDI channels - Track 1 on Channel 1, Track 2 on Channel 2, etc. - but can be edited. When the “TRACK” button is lit, pressing one of the numbered ([1]~[16]) buttons selects a Track. Playing the keyboard sends the generated MIDI data on the channel assigned to the selected track. Tracks transmit.

So, what is transmitted by a Track is received by any Part that has a matching MIDI channel. When they do match, the “Voice” shown in Track View is that of the matching Part. You noted that the Tracks with blank entries seemed to be related to Parts sharing the same MIDI (receive) channel. That’s to indicate that for such a Track there’s no Part with a matching channel. In that case, pressing one of the [1]~[16] buttons and playing the keyboard would result in no output.

To simplify the above - you should be seeing the names of any Voices assigned to Parts whose MIDI channel matches that of a Track, and those not having a match should be blank.

I hope I understood your question, and that the above helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 03:09 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

I presume that what you’re experiencing is not seeing entries in the “Voice” column when in SONG Play mode with [F1](Track View) selected. (If that’s not what you’re referring to, please explain in more detail.)

I hope I understood your question, and that the above helps.

Yes, you eloquently articulated what I clumsily spewed. lol.

So bear with me as this is sinking in. We may have to circle back. And it may become clearer once this next mystery has some light shed on it:

In the Mix Editor of the Melas Software, I can easily change the keyboard range of each part. See the screen shot attached.

I don’t see how to adjust the ranges right on the synth. (I have scoured the manuals, and did a search on this forum, only found one self answered post on this where he somehow found it in the mixing section)

Could you please guide me?

Thank you!!, Eric

Image Attachments
2017-11-07.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 03:41 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
EricMonroe - 08 November 2017 03:09 PM

...(I have scoured the manuals, and did a search on this forum, only found one self answered post on this where he somehow found it in the mixing section)....

You’ve found the clue in this sentence!

You must enter MIXING Mode from SONG(or PATTERN) Mode to access the individual PARTS for EDITING...including Note Ranges. A MIXING is an integral component of every SONG or PATTERN.

See page 188 of the Motif XF Reference Manual.  It is obvious you have been there (MIXING Mode) before...from your previous posts...perhaps not realizing that a SONG(PATTERN) and a MIXING are not separate entities.  They are different views of the same thing, with different functional edits available in each.

On Page 194, under Part Edit Parameters...F1 Voice...you will see the screen from which you are able to Edit Note Range, for that individual PART.  Note that you are redirected to the correlating screen in PERFORMANCE Mode for the details of the F1 Voice screen.  For some reason they chose not to duplicate the info in this section of the Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 04:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 08 November 2017 03:09 PM

[...] In the Mix Editor of the Melas Software, I can easily change the keyboard range of each part. See the screen shot attached.

I don’t see how to adjust the ranges right on the synth. (I have scoured the manuals, and did a search on this forum, only found one self answered post on this where he somehow found it in the mixing section)

Could you please guide me?

Thank you!!, Eric

I’ll gladly point you in the right direction…

Press [SONG] and select the one you want to edit
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]

EDIT: See correction in later post, below.

Press [F1](Voice)
Press [SF1](Voice)
Press a numbered button ([1]-[16]) corresponding to the Part you want to edit.

Note the keyboard displayed near the bottom of the XF’s screen. The highlighted keys are the ones currently playable on the keyboard. That key range will vary, depending on XF6/XF7/XF8 model. (If you use the [OCTAVE DOWN]/[OCTAVE UP] buttons, the range will shift.)

Just above the displayed keyboard you’ll find the Note Limit settings. Those low and high limits are what determine the range of keys that will play. The default is C -2 to G 8. Change those settings as desired - the changes will be reflected in the displayed keyboard.

For details…
See Part Basic Settings on page 194 of the XF Reference Manual, and then refer to (15) Note Limit on pages 109-110. Be sure to read the ♫ NOTE, which explains how to use the [SF6](KBD) button to make setting each limit easy via the keys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 05:54 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

I’ll gladly point you in the right direction…

Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press [F1](Voice)
Press [SF1](Voice)

ah yes, I must apologize. I didn’t press (at the right time) the numbered buttons to the parts (on the right side of the keyboard) as you mentioned.

The display does not indicate to do that. And for future readers, we might want to notate that it is wise to press that sooner than later, here is my revised list, if I can be so bold.

Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press a numbered button ([1]-[16]) corresponding to the Part you want to edit. (or press [common edit] if that is where you need to be)

Because I was in ‘Common Edit’ Mode and there was no option on the display to proceed. Not even an option to proceed to F1 or SF1 :(

Also, in addition to the kind and amazing 5pinDin, many thanks to cmayhle because the light bulb came on when I saw the display screenshot on the page you mentioned. As a somewhat Motif novice, I realized that I had been here before when trying to find out to adjust individual elements… duh.

And as I suspected, now I can get to the individual parts midi channel, which I think will shed some light on the previous mystery… now to find the time between being a parent and a husband to go down that path :)

ok, many many thanks to all!

Eric

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 06:25 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 08 November 2017 05:54 PM

ah yes, I must apologize. I didn’t press (at the right time) the numbered buttons to the parts (on the right side of the keyboard) as you mentioned.

The display does not indicate to do that. And for future readers, we might want to notate that it is wise to press that sooner than later, here is my revised list, if I can be so bold.

Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press a numbered button ([1]-[16]) corresponding to the Part you want to edit. (or press [common edit] if that is where you need to be)

Because I was in ‘Common Edit’ Mode and there was no option on the display to proceed. Not even an option to proceed to F1 or SF1 :(

Sorry, and thanks for the correction. Yes, a numbered/Part button has to be selected before the [F1]/[SF1] choice for the Voice Screen will be available.

The following should work…
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press [F1](Voice)
Press [SF1](Voice)

Once on a Part screen, this step…
...can be repeated in order to move from one Part to another while making the edits.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2017 @ 07:02 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

Sorry, and thanks for the correction. Yes, a numbered/Part button has to be selected before the [F1]/[SF1] choice for the Voice Screen will be available.

5pinDin, your efficiency is only exceeded by your kindness.

:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2017 @ 10:13 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
EricMonroe - 08 November 2017 07:02 PM

5pinDin, your efficiency is only exceeded by your kindness.

:)

Thanks for your kind words.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2017 @ 05:02 PM
EricMonroe
Joined  03-19-2016

Ok, moving along well now adding voices to the Mix, and enjoying it.

Currently, it’s not sounding the same as the original voice, even with copy parameters set to on (in Modes).

I will endeavor to investigate that soon unless you have any quick suggestions for me ;)

(echo delay times are different for example, and more)

thank you,

Eric

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2