mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mute MIDI Events in SONG Mix"

Posted on: November 02, 2017 @ 03:31 AM
synthmax
Total Posts:  56
Joined  05-13-2012

Hi there everyone,

I have a Yamaha MOTIF XF8 and now a TC Helicon Voice Live Effects Rack. I am preparing MIDI files for a number of songs that I am performing live with the MOTIF XF8 and the Voice Live. The Voice Live accepts MIDI chord events on a MIDI channel which it uses to process pitch correction and harmonies on vocals coming in live from the vocalists microphone.

In order to do this, I am setting up the MIDI file for each song so that on Channel 11 there are block chords that mirror the chord structure of the song. For example, a song might have a bar of C, then a bar of Am and so on. The notes of those chords get sent from the MOTIF to the Voicelive which uses those events to make corrections in pitch and generate vocal harmonies.

The problem here though is, that these block chords will trigger a voice in Channel 11 in the MOTIF and that voice will sound those chords in the mix unless I turn the volume down to zero for that Channel. My concern here then, is that the resources of the Tone Generator of the MOTIF are being used for notes that aren’t actually audible in the mix. That seems to be a waste of valuable resources on the MOTIF. My question then: Is there some way of preventing the MOTIF from playing MIDI events in
that Channel in song mode, yet still transmit those events to an external MIDI device like the Voice Live Effects Rack?

Regards,
Grant

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2017 @ 08:22 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
synthmax - 02 November 2017 03:31 AM

[...]Is there some way of preventing the MOTIF from playing MIDI events in
that Channel in song mode, yet still transmit those events to an external MIDI device like the Voice Live Effects Rack?

Yes, if by “MIDI events” you mean “Note-on/Note-off”.

The default note range is C -2 to G8. If you change the upper Note Limit for the Part to C -2, it becomes the only note that can be played internally by the XF in that Part, and any other notes won’t reduce available polyphony. The notes will still be output via MIDI.

See the XF Reference Manual, Part Basic Settings - [F1] Voice on page 194, and details for (15) Note Limit on pages 109-110.

In the (likely rare) situation where C -2 is part of the sequence, you could set Volume for the Part to 0 (zero). That way, even if the note is used in the sequence, it won’t make a sound from the XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2017 @ 09:32 PM
🎹Lex
Total Posts:  81
Joined  05-20-2009

Maybe I’m missing something, but wouldn’t it have the same effect to turn off the Int Switch under [F3] Track -> [SF1] Out?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2017 @ 11:33 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
🎹Lex - 02 November 2017 09:32 PM

Maybe I’m missing something, but wouldn’t it have the same effect to turn off the Int Switch under [F3] Track -> [SF1] Out?

The result is similar, but not identical. It depends on how the gear is configured.

I’ve occasionally run into situations where there’s unwanted incoming MIDI data on the channel in question. Turning off the “Int” switch for a track won’t prevent that incoming MIDI from playing the Part we’re trying to stop playing. (The “Int” switch acts like “Local Control”, although just for the particular Part.)

With the method I suggested, the Part can’t be played by the sequencer, the XF’s keyboard, or an external MIDI source. Perhaps it’s an overly cautious approach, but strange things sometimes happen, and when they happen at gigs, well…

If there’s no chance of incoming MIDI data on the channel we’re concerned about, then using the “Int” switch certainly would accomplish the goal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2017 @ 01:56 AM
synthmax
Total Posts:  56
Joined  05-13-2012

Hi Everyone,

Yes, thank you Lex and 5pinDIN for you kind thoughts and suggestions.

I am using the INT switch solution and it works just fine for my needs. Everything is working as I want.

Thanks very much guys!

Best,
Grant

[ Ignore ]