mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Heat from direct sunlight and sequencer speeds"

Posted on: October 16, 2017 @ 01:31 PM
BeeRad
Total Posts:  123
Joined  10-17-2006

This is a weird question.  I haven’t quantitatively experimented with this so I can not state that it actually happens.

Does anybody out there “feel” that, when playing a sequenced song on an XS (6) outside, on stage, in summer heat and direct sunlight.....that the tempo of the song is slower?????  I have “sensed” this on several of the unfortunate occasions this year where I happen to be “the one in the sun”.  Besides being unable to read the lcd screen on the XS, see the leds on my Nord C1, keep the drops of sweat off my keys while being able to fry an egg on my black 90ES, the TEMPO seems to be noticably slower when using song mode to play along with a sequenced song.

Every time this has “happened” i think “man you need to do some experimenting, maybe ask folks at Motifator if anyone has noticed this”.

Of course, summer is now over in the US, so guess I won’t get around to it this year.  Next year i WILL use both my XS6’s outside in an experiment....one in direct sun, the other not, and play the identical song on both.  I will report!

Anybody?  Could this be possible?

Brad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2017 @ 08:22 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
BeeRad - 16 October 2017 01:31 PM

Does anybody out there “feel” that, when playing a sequenced song on an XS (6) outside, on stage, in summer heat and direct sunlight.....that the tempo of the song is slower????? 
Anybody?  Could this be possible?

Brad

Hey Brad,
I’ve had a fair bit of experience playing in the heat this and past seasons and I’m confident that I have not encountered the situation you’ve described. I’ve played a lot to a click track generated by my drummer from an SPD-SX which is not slaved to my rig or vice versa. He triggers the click and I trigger my sequences and/or arps, and we’ve never fallen out of sync. The sequences are long enough to discern any differences in time.

I’ve done and seen enough weird things to know that anything is possible. Maybe you could employ a Midi Monitor in your system to get a definite answer? 

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2017 @ 11:50 AM
BeeRad
Total Posts:  123
Joined  10-17-2006

I’ve done and seen enough weird things to know that anything is possible. Maybe you could employ a Midi Monitor in your system to get a definite answer?

Stone

What is a Midi Monitor?  Also, the only sequencer running is the XS6 while I play piano below on my s90es along with my song.  How can one insert a monitor into the system?  thanks!

Brad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2017 @ 08:06 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
BeeRad - 16 October 2017 01:31 PM

[...] Does anybody out there “feel” that, when playing a sequenced song on an XS (6) outside, on stage, in summer heat and direct sunlight.....that the tempo of the song is slower?????  I have “sensed” this on several of the unfortunate occasions this year where I happen to be “the one in the sun”.  Besides being unable to read the lcd screen on the XS, see the leds on my Nord C1, keep the drops of sweat off my keys while being able to fry an egg on my black 90ES, the TEMPO seems to be noticably slower when using song mode to play along with a sequenced song. [...]

I’ve played my XS when it’s been hot, and never experienced what you described, but it’s never been under such brutal conditions.

The circuits in the XS that determine tempo are digital. While analog circuits can drift with temperature change, digital tends to not do something subtle - it typically either works correctly or fails dramatically.

Of course, if I were playing “outside, on stage, in summer heat and direct sunlight”, etc., it just might feel like everything was slowing down.  ;-)

BeeRad - 17 October 2017 11:50 AM

What is a Midi Monitor?  Also, the only sequencer running is the XS6 while I play piano below on my s90es along with my song.  How can one insert a monitor into the system?  thanks!

Brad

A program such as MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/) can monitor all kinds of MIDI data, among several other useful abilities.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Soundset for u2 Beautiful day
Next Topic:

Auto Pitch/Sliding on Motif XS ››