mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Guide - Network Connection with Android"

Posted on: October 11, 2017 @ 12:46 PM
🎹Lex
Total Posts:  81
Joined  05-20-2009

Recently, I tried setting up a network connection between my XS8 and a Windows 10 computer and I ran into a great deal of difficulty. Being that the XS can only save ALL files to USB or network drive, and being that I don’t have a spare USB drive and my budget when it comes to making music is $0 nowadays, it was of great importance to me to get the network connection working.

After combing through discussions regarding similar issues back in the days of Windows 7 and trying many things (including uninstalling Windows Live Essentials and even running Windows XP inside of VirtualBox...!) with no success, another idea occurred to me. Since it appears the XS’s network woes come from the Windows side, what about the little Android computer in my pocket?

It works!

An important caveat is that the Android filesharing server app (the only one I’ve found) requires Root permission level, which, depending on your specific device and software version, can be anything from a minor nuisance to a major pain to set up (sometimes it is even impossible).

But—if you are already something of an Android enthusiast and have a ‘rooted’ device laying around, (and you can’t/won’t use a USB drive, and you can’t get the Motif to access your computer’s filesharing), this guide is for you.

For reference, I am using a Nexus 6P running Android 6.0.1 (build MTC20L). My Motif XS8 is connected to my home router via ethernet cable, while the Nexus connects to the router via Wifi.

1.  Install the app ”Samba Filesharing for Android” from the Google Play Store.

2.  Launch the app and watch for the Root/SuperUser permission dialog to pop up. Grant the permission, then open the app menu (using the menu button at the bottom of the screen) and set up a username and password. Set workgroup name to WORKGROUP.

3.  Press back to return to the app’s main screen and tap the logo to start the filesharing server.

(Note: according to normal operation you should eventually see an IP address shown for you to connect to. There appears to be a bug in the app or some sort of incompatibility with Android 6 which causes the app to only show “Enabled - Not Running” after the server has been launched. The good news is that this is merely a display issue; in actuality the server runs and operates fine.)

4.  On the XS8, press [Utility] -> [F1] General -> [SF3] Network. Ensure that the DHCP Client setting is On. Under SMB, ensure that Security is set to “workgroup” and Domain is set to WORKGROUP. The rest should be blank.

5.  Press [File] -> [F2] Mount. It will scan the network and may show a found hostname: ANDROID. However, if you select this hostname and attempt to connect it does not work (for me, at least). The solution is to instead manually enter the local IP address of your Android device.

(Again: if your Samba Filesharing for Android app is running as designed, you should see your IP address right on the app’s main screen after enabling. If all you see is “Enabled - Not Running” as described in the note above, go to Step 5a. Otherwise, go to Step 6.)

5a. On your Android device: System Settings -> Wifi -> Menu: Advanced. Scroll to the bottom to find your IP address. It is most likely something beginning with 192.168…

6.  On the XS8 at the Mount screen press [SF5] (CHAR) and enter the IP address of your Android device. Press Enter, provide your username and password, and press Enter again. The connection should be successful and you will see a single sharing point: “sdcard”. Press Enter once more in order to actually mount this sharing point.

You should now be able to browse the root directory of your Android device’s internal storage from the XS!

Taking things a step further, you can create a folder on the phone and then from Windows connect to the phone via the same filesharing server (in Windows Explorer enter “\\192.168.x.x” in the address bar and hit enter, replacing the x’s with the appropriate digits from Step 6).

From there, you can map that folder to a network drive such as “X:”.

Now on Windows you’re able to throw voice files, midi files, sample data, or whatever straight to drive X:\ which in reality writes them to the created folder on your Android device from where it is instantly available for access on the XS! And the same in the other direction: saving an ALL file from the XS to that folder on your phone allows you to immediately access the file on your computer at drive X.

I realize this is a very specific use-case and solution, but maybe somebody else will find this useful anyhow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2017 @ 04:01 PM
🎹Lex
Joined  05-20-2009

I’ve noticed an unanticipated advantage that this setup provides versus a traditional direct network connection between computer and Motif: when the computer is turned off or otherwise disconnected from the network, the Motif retains its ability to load and save data from/to the Android device. The same is true for “sending files to the Motif” while the Motif is turned off or disconnected; the files will be waiting and ready on your Android device when the Motif comes online again.

In this sense the setup functions something like a wireless USB drive that is simultaneously connected to both the computer and the Motif. With this in mind, maybe the arrangement has merit even when alternate methods (USB drive or direct connection) are available.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 02:37 PM
🎹Lex
Joined  05-20-2009

Just want to note here that I upgraded to Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) over the weekend, and the Samba Filesharing app thankfully still works.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2017 @ 03:27 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
🎹Lex - 11 December 2017 02:37 PM

Just want to note here that I upgraded to Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) over the weekend, and the Samba Filesharing app thankfully still works.

Although I don’t personally have any Android devices, and my Motifs are networked via wired Ethernet to PCs running XP Pro SP3, I wanted to thank you for the information you’ve shared in this thread. Hopefully other members are finding it helpful. It’s a pleasure to see your participation.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Spread samples Across The Motif Xs
Next Topic:

Controller for bass, XS6 for keys ››