mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Adding MOX built in effects to A/D output?"

Posted on: October 07, 2017 @ 03:50 PM
kavaalton
Total Posts:  7
Joined  01-06-2012

I’m planning to use MOX both as a midi controller and as an audio interface when playing VST:s live from my Windows pad.

So the signal path would be: MOX keyboard > USB Midi > VST (host) > USB audio > MOX stereo out

MOX has a nice collection of built in effects, and I would like to ad some of those to audio coming from VST:s. The question is, is it possible, and how it would be done?

I’ve found tutorials about how to use built in effects when using MOX audio interface as an input, but not how to use them, when MOX is the output interface.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2017 @ 04:57 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi kavaalton,

I don’t think this is possible, I’m not 100 percent sure, but I’m almost sure.

Let’s break down your ‘signal path’ first because it isn’t a signal path:

MOX keyboard > USB Midi > VST (host) > USB audio > MOX stereo out

It is MIDI data via USB up until you reach the VST (host) and then ‘USB audio’ is in actual fact the USB stereo audio DAW return, which is stereo digital audio via USB. This allows you to hear everything coming back from your DAW as one stereo channel.

Let’s say you could apply the various FX from the MOX over the stereo DAW return, you’d be effecting all of it without discrimination instead of individual selections of certain VSTi’s or other tracks you may have on your DAW and not others.

That would make it pretty much useless, unless you only have one VSTi or sound coming from your DAW at the time of use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2017 @ 05:16 AM
kavaalton
Total Posts:  7
Joined  01-06-2012

Thanks for your reply,

MOX has a built in audio interface and onboard effects. I’ve understood that many audio interfaces with onboard effects are able to add them to audio signal output, so I was wondering if MOX’s interface can do that.

The idea is not to use MOX:s audio output to monitor my DAW but as a main output for my VST host when playing live with my band. Moslty that would mean using just one VSTi at a time, or maximum couple of VSTs maybe layered/split with some MOX’s onboard sound (in which case the I would like to add just some common reverb or other ambience effect to tie sounds together).

Let’s say you could apply the various FX from the MOX over the stereo DAW return, you’d be effecting all of it without discrimination instead of individual selections of certain VSTi’s or other tracks you may have on your DAW and not others.

Isn’t this the idea of MOX’s master effect/EQ section? To add common effects that create common room, ambience and EQ for all sounds?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2017 @ 06:23 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
kavaalton - 07 October 2017 03:50 PM

I’m planning to use MOX both as a midi controller and as an audio interface when playing VST:s live from my Windows pad.

So the signal path would be: MOX keyboard > USB Midi > VST (host) > USB audio > MOX stereo out

MOX has a nice collection of built in effects, and I would like to ad some of those to audio coming from VST:s. The question is, is it possible, and how it would be done?

The particular path you’ve outlined won’t allow effects to be applied - philwoodmusic is correct.

See the diagram on page 3 of the MOX Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48534). Note that audio returning via USB bypasses the Effects block. Audio connected via the A/D Input can be processed if settings are proper.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2017 @ 11:27 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Thanks 5pinDIN for that info.

To kavaalton,

The MOX only has one stereo output which is just that, stereo and not assignable, and the stereo DAW return is all there is between your MOX and your DAW, so you can’t help but use it with USB.

kavaalton - 08 October 2017 05:16 AM

Isn’t this the idea of MOX’s master effect/EQ section? To add common effects that create common room, ambience and EQ for all sounds?

That can be used on analogue signals plugged into the MOX’s A/D inputs.

Your proposed set up uses USB.

[ Ignore ]