mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90 ES Plays BETTER Than The S90 XS"

Posted on: August 01, 2017 @ 02:47 PM
jamiesea
Total Posts:  10
Joined  07-27-2017

I just picked up the S90 XS to AB it with the S90 ES. Before it arrived I felt in my heart that it wouldn’t play as well even though they are supposed to have the same action.

Yep… my gut was right!  When you press REAL soft on the XS to play PP it’s like hard to get that expression and you have to press down to get it to fall where the ES falls ever so nicely! Just plays like butter to me.

Oh well… guess I’ll have to try the SL88 Studio and SL88 Grand next to the S90 ES. :-)

I was really hoping to like the XS for the extra sounds and features as well.  Since I’m not gigging out with these units and using them as controllers I have to go for the action vs. the features.

One thing I noticed was the Headphone amp in the ES was much louder and better sounding.  Seems the pianos in the ES sounded better as well.

JamieSEA

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2017 @ 03:41 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jamiesea - 01 August 2017 02:47 PM

I just picked up the S90 XS to AB it with the S90 ES. Before it arrived I felt in my heart that it wouldn’t play as well even though they are supposed to have the same action.

Yep… my gut was right!  When you press REAL soft on the XS to play PP it’s like hard to get that expression and you have to press down to get it to fall where the ES falls ever so nicely! Just plays like butter to me.

Did you try adjusting the Keyboard Velocity Curve on the S90 XS?

See page 134 of the S90XS/S70XS Reference Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/9610

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2017 @ 06:10 PM
jamiesea
Total Posts:  10
Joined  07-27-2017
5pinDIN - 01 August 2017 03:41 PM
jamiesea - 01 August 2017 02:47 PM

Did you try adjusting the Keyboard Velocity Curve on the S90 XS?

See page 134 of the S90XS/S70XS Reference Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/9610

This wasn’t about the velocity, this was about how the actual keybed played.  It was more like the Motif setup and was harder to play soft.  The response of the keys on the XS were sluggish compared to the ES.

If the ES was a 10 as far as the touch I would say the XS was a 7.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2017 @ 06:33 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

This wasn’t about the velocity, this was about how the actual keybed played.  It was more like the Motif setup and was harder to play soft.  The response of the keys on the XS were sluggish compared to the ES.

If the ES was a 10 as far as the touch I would say the XS was a 7.

The apparent feel has a lot to do with the Velocity Curve setting. If you didn’t try adjusting it, and allowing some time for your brain to adapt to a new setting, then the comparison isn’t completely valid. However, to each his own.

By the way, which Keyboard Velocity Curve do you have the S90 ES set to?

[ Ignore ]