mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New hardware instrument I/O chaos"

Posted on: July 09, 2017 @ 07:06 AM
poastell
Total Posts:  9
Joined  06-18-2012

After years of unproblematic use of Cubase with a Yamaha MOX I recently shifted to a Yamaha XF and have got into an incredible mess.

This is partly because it was so long ago that I set up the MOX that I have lost track of how to organise the I/O. 

Possibly related problems, I haven’t been able to:
- record audio
- access/install the usual Steinberg ASIO, only the generic one
- route midi/audio output back to the XF as I usually do

- I have been able record midi (Symphonic Orchestra) but only playback via my sound card ASIO

The key issue seems to be that the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex is missing (when the CB8 Pro loads there is a flash of a box where I’d expect to see the ASIO choice to be indicated).

Also the midi port setup shows only three I/O ports on the XF the missing fourth being the port I’d expect to return output to the synth.

Very frustrating.

Any pointers on how to resolve this would be welcome, I hope the above info is adequate

Cubase 8 Pro, Yamaha XF6, W7

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2017 @ 07:30 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Have you downloaded and installed the MOTIF XF Extension? If not…

Your member profile indicates that you use Windows.
See https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/motif_xf_extension_win.html

The MOTIF XF Extension Installation Guide and Owner’s Manual can be found here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/motif_xf/downloads.html

This might be helpful for setup with FW16E:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xf_ysfw_setup_windows_with_cubase

I don’t personally use Cubase, so others might be able to provide more detailed help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2017 @ 08:24 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Since it wasn’t specifically mentioned in the first post, I wondered if the OP doesn’t have a FW16E installed?

It’s a stab in the dark but the only way to get the audio I/O like the MOX’s.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2017 @ 06:55 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Right, the XF doesn’t do audio over USB like the MOX, only MIDI. You need both the FW16e board and a Firewire port on your computer instead. If you have no FW, then you need to start using a separate audio interface.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2017 @ 04:57 AM
poastell
Joined  06-18-2012

Thanks all, this has set me straight, I’ll shop for the bits.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2017 @ 07:21 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Before you splash the cash, don’t forget that you can:

1 - Output the audio directly to a USB Stick or hard disk connected to the XF’s TO DEVICE, and then import that audio to Cubase.

2 - Output the audio directly to your computer or device via a network connection (Ethernet cable or wirelessly via a compatible USB Wi-Fi device)

3 - Output via S/PDIF.

4 - This one is pure anarchy… you can record your Motif XF’s main analogue and assignable analogue outputs by plugging them into an audio interface, if you have one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2017 @ 09:47 AM
poastell
Joined  06-18-2012

I have shopped for the bits. Tricky, since the 16e expansion board is no longer in production but there was one of ebay.
- I have already been using the ‘record to USB Stick’ workaround but it is very clunky to use for a series of items.
- output to S/PDIF would be my usual standard, I have both sets of cables but delivery of an RCA to optical TOS interface has taken two weeks up to now.

- however, can you say something about how to use an ethernet cable?
plug in both ends and then?

As before, thanks for this support it makes the tedious liveable!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2017 @ 12:16 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
poastell - 12 July 2017 09:47 AM

I have shopped for the bits. Tricky, since the 16e expansion board is no longer in production but there was one of ebay.

Although the FW16E is “discontinued”, there are several dealers who have them, including http://shop.motifator.com/index.php/xf-accessories/xf-firewire-interface.html

Since you referred only to “the 16e”, be aware that there’s an mLAN16E, which is for older models such as the Motif ES, and not compatible with the XF/XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2017 @ 07:04 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
poastell - 12 July 2017 09:47 AM

- however, can you say something about how to use an ethernet cable?
plug in both ends and then?

You can connect the XF via ethernet to your computer which will allow you to move files back and forth between your motif and your computer more conveniently.

You can also capture your audio wirelessly on an iPad or iPhone using Yamaha’s ‘Cloud Audio Recorder’ which is an app.

You’ll obviously need to know about networking and have an understanding of (as well as access) to your home network and it’s router, in order to try those.

As far as ethernet goes, some people have gone direct to a computer and others have connected via their network’s router.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Recording two Motifs sequencer on Cubase AI6
Next Topic:

Motif XF flash memory module ››