mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Suggestions please"

Posted on: July 03, 2017 @ 08:35 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Longtime owner of Motif XF 6&7;A couple of my 2nd keyboards died and I’m considering an moxf. 
For those of you familiar with both, is the small screen easy to work with
In terms of setting up performances? 
Are you finding the sounds comparable to the xf?  I ask this because I had an MX61
When first released and I didn’t care for sound quality. 

Any other thoughts on working with this board with experience from a motif xf

Appreciate the help. 
Rich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2017 @ 09:08 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hey Richie,

I’m sorry to hear that.

The MOXF is very good value for money.

The screen is basically fine like the ES’s was, but it obviously isn’t as luxurious as the Motif XF’s screen.  You’ll find that you switch between more pages of info than you would on the Motif XF for most tasks because there’s less real estate, and there is almost no graphic/picture based information, so you won’t be able to see your key ranges laid over a virtual keyboard graphic like you can on a Motif XF etc.  Everything is expressed in letters, words or numbers, but the clarity is fine.

The sounds are pretty much identical to the Motif XF.  5pinDIN made a great thread which involved many forum members adding audio clips from their MOXFs which should answer your question.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470507/

Aside of the obvious physical differences, other thoughts or concerns for you would be if you decided to look at a MOXF6, you’ll find the keybed basically fine, but it is super light and cheap feeling by comparison to a Motif XF6 or a Motif XF7.

There’s also only 1 slot for a flash module in the MOXF, so if you’re used to having two flash modules, then that might be tricky.  There’s also no integrated sampling.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2017 @ 10:36 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Appreciate the insights and suggestions Phil.  Enjoy the 4th my friend.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2017 @ 12:15 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
richie1027 - 03 July 2017 10:36 PM

Appreciate the insights and suggestions Phil.  Enjoy the 4th my friend.

Hey richie1027, philwoodmusic did provide some good advice, helpful to me also as I look toward the day I will need to replace my old Yamaha P200 piano.

On the other point, our wonderful friends across the pond generally do not observe the 4th of July with the same enthusiasm that we do...but like an Ex that we have come to cherish in a new way, I know that we have all come to common ground over the centuries!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2017 @ 12:36 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

It’s all good, happy 4th to you all anyway! 

Just to clarify, I think the MOXF8 action feels great, it’s just that the MOX6 and MOXF6 synth actions feel too light and clattery (for my taste) despite being perfectly serviceable.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2017 @ 03:51 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Maybe worth to mention the lack of aftertouch on the MoXF.
The only thing that I miss on it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2017 @ 07:51 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

This thread might be interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470062/
Note that since it was posted, the Mutec 2 GB flash module has become available.

As to ease of programming a Performance on an MOXF…
If the small screen proved to be an issue, you could set up Performances on one of the XFs, save an “All” file, than copy the Performance(s) to the MOXF. While there isn’t full compatibility between the MOXF and XF, Performances as well as Voices, Arpeggios, Mix Templates and Waveforms are compatible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2017 @ 08:57 AM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Great love no 5pin.....and I hadn’t yet learned of the file compatibility.  That alone will save me a bit with my siting performances.  May have to tweak those using flash memory

Didn’t even think about all the Motifator brothers (and sisters?) who live across the pond when I wished Phil a happy fourth.  I can be a little egocentric at times.  My apologies, and hope you have a happy Tuesday! (You do celebrate Tuesday’s, right?  Hehe)

One of my secondary gig boards is a Roland VR-09.  Does well with some voices, marginal with others, but it has a decent distortion for B3 leakage.  It too has cheap feeling keys but it’s been dependable for it’s limited use. 

Thx fellows

[ Ignore ]