mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MTC Via MIDI Merge?"

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 10:55 AM
eisenfarn
Total Posts:  48
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, running a laptop audio sequencer linked via MTC to my XF, works lovely, but now I need to plug my Yamaha WX7 into the MIDI input so need to use a MIDI merge. I’ve tried a Philip Rees 2M merge unit, and a 360 systems merge unit, but I can’t get MTC to work properly, It reaches the laptop OK, but it won’t return to the keyboard. Is there some setting on the XF I have missed?, thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2017 @ 10:19 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

How is everything connected?

Are you using the XF USB or FW ports for MIDI or another device as the MIDI interface?

Is the XF the MTC master or is it the computer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2017 @ 09:50 PM
eisenfarn
Total Posts:  48
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, I am using an Alesis IO14 for the interface (Firewire), I don’t have a firewire card in the XF, the XF is set up as master.

A couple of questions, I do have an mLan 16E card which is in my Motif ES, I don’t suppose this is compatible with the XF? and if I used the XF as an audio / MIDI interface via USB, if I set the MIDI /IN OUT on the XF to USB, would this not disable the onboard MIDI ports?

Thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2017 @ 05:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
eisenfarn - 13 May 2017 09:50 PM

[...] A couple of questions, I do have an mLan 16E card which is in my Motif ES, I don’t suppose this is compatible with the XF?

That’s correct, an mLAN16E is not compatible with a Motif XF.
An mLAN16E2 (with updated firmware) or an FW16E would work.

eisenfarn -

and if I used the XF as an audio / MIDI interface via USB, if I set the MIDI /IN OUT on the XF to USB, would this not disable the onboard MIDI ports?

Two points here…

1) The XF’s USB interface only handles MIDI, not audio.

2) Selecting USB for MIDI In/Out does not disable the 5-pin MIDI ports. What happens is those ports become a MIDI interface accessed via USB Port 3. See MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 57 of the XF Owner’s Manual. A device plugged into the XF’s MIDI-In will be seen as “Yamaha MOTIF XFx-3” in MIDI software (editors, DAWs, etc.). If it’s routed via that software to “Yamaha MOTIF XFx-1”, the XF will be controlled by it. (x = 6/7/8, depending on model)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2017 @ 08:37 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If the XF is MTC master, nothing needs to “return” to the keyboard. MTC is one way communication, master to slave.

If the WX7 is connected to the MIDI IN, which one...that of the XF or that of the Alesis unit?

Are you using the WX7 to play the XF7 or to only play into the computer?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ pitch difference
Next Topic:

Sustain on both instrument of a performance ››