mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Xf newbie"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 07:07 AM
Ste the drum
Total Posts:  13
Joined  04-20-2017

Hi my dads dyslexic so manuals are a big issue ,so I tend to help him,
He has recently got a 2nd hand xf with loads of libraries on the flash
SO CAN PEOPLE HELP tell him how to do the following
He wants to load the libraries to hear them,but not loose any

So 1 if he does a master reset does it wipe data from flash
2 does it take only user1 back to factory and leave user 2, 3,4,, as they were
3.  If he puts a u s b.stick Into the motif does he have to format it first /while in xf /u s b input.
4 if he then save stuff to u s b stick does it save the flash libraries as well
I am a musician myself so I can follow most music info
Any help would be a blessing as he’s had it a few months so he’s getting to grips with it slowly,but just not sure about a few things,many regards. Jenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 08:09 AM
jimbowal
Total Posts:  94
Joined  06-13-2014

Jenny,
Welcome to the forum.

Firstly and most importantly, I strongly advise to save an “all” file (.X3A) to a USB thumb drive. Page 64 of the Motif XF Owner’s Manual details the steps. This will then save all the voices and associated data from the installed libraries. Same page details the steps to then load the data back. I also suggest reading the File Management section of the XF Reference Manual pages 234 - 248.

If your dad wants to listen to all the different voices, performances etc already installed from the various libraries, he just has to select them from whatever user bank they’re installed to.

1. If you do a master reset on the keyboard it will go back to the original state and all your user voices will be lost. That’s why you save an “all” file. It will not delete the samples from the flash board. Page 18 of the Owner’s Manual has the steps to do a reset and all the warnings.

2. No all User banks are restored back to original.

3. A good habit to do for the first time - see page 65.

4. I think you can save with samples or without? However the samples on the flash board remain unchanged and always there unless you reformat the board or delete the waveforms.

Just wondering if you received the different voice library files as well or was everything already installed. If not, it is another reason to save the “all” file.

Other more experienced members of the forum will help, I just answered the basics.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 08:48 AM
Ste the drum
Joined  04-20-2017

Thank you so much,my dad will be over the moon, any help is much appreciated he got motif from a jazz player and dad is into jazz so the sound libraries were why he got it,dad has no probs with reading a score etc just txt,this info will hopefully give him the confidence ,does he have to format the u s b the 1st time or just plug and go,once again thanks,Jenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 09:41 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Ste the drum - 20 April 2017 07:07 AM

Hi my dads dyslexic so manuals are a big issue ,so I tend to help him,
He has recently got a 2nd hand xf with loads of libraries on the flash
SO CAN PEOPLE HELP tell him how to do the following
He wants to load the libraries to hear them,but not loose any [...]

I have a suggestion - take things slowly, and don’t load anything yet. Loading with an incorrect procedure can create problems.

First, what does “loads of libraries on the flash” mean? Are you saying that your dad was given a USB flash drive with library files on it?

Secondly, it would be helpful to know which version of the operating system (OS) is installed in the XF, since that determines whether certain features are present or not.

To check the OS version:
1) Press [UTILITY] to enter the Utility mode.
2) Press [UTILITY], [ ^ ](Cursor Up) and [F1] buttons simultaneously.
3) Read the Firmware Version

The second decimal and any number after it can be ignored. The most recent XF OS is version 1.50 . Let us know what you find.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 10:44 AM
jimbowal
Joined  06-13-2014

When you referred to flash, I thought you meant the optional flash memory expansion boards that come in 512MB, 1GB or 2GB capacity and are installed into the XF. Also that the sound libraries were already installed to the user voice banks and if not using the internal waveforms, samples were installed to the flash board. As 5pinDIN has asked if the libraries are on flash (as a USB thumb drive), other steps need to be taken in order to load and play them. If that is the case, do not format the USB
5pinDIN is a font of all knowledge on this forum :), and as I previously stated will guide you step by step with detailed instructions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 11:43 AM
Ste the drum
Joined  04-20-2017

Hi the sound libraries are in the flash expansion boards i believe, a 512 in fl1.1gb in fl2,(2 in for definite) which i guess some have been loaded to user 2,3,4 either as single voices or total libraries the previous owner liked,i am not at dads till later but ask him to check the items you have advised,i can’t remember him so scared to play and enjoy a keyboard, i think he is worrying about loosing them libraries, thank you in all so much,jen

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 12:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Ste the drum - 20 April 2017 11:43 AM

Hi the sound libraries are in the flash expansion boards i believe, a 512 in fl1.1gb in fl2,(2 in for definite) which i guess some have been loaded to user 2,3,4 either as single voices or total libraries the previous owner liked,i am not at dads till later but ask him to check the items you have advised,i can’t remember him so scared to play and enjoy a keyboard, i think he is worrying about loosing them libraries, thank you in all so much,jen

Thanks for clarifying the situation. In that case, there’s nothing to “load”. Based on what you’ve posted, what would already be installed to FL1 and FL2 are Waveforms, which Voices stored in the User banks 2/3/4 can access. Just selecting User Programs (Voices, Performances, etc.) will in no way cause loss of anything. As long as your dad doesn’t STORE or LOAD anything, the contents of the XF’s User memory should be safe.

Saving an “All” file as jimbowal suggested will protect against possible “user error”. That file should not be reloaded unless something unfortunate happens, and then only with full understanding of the proper procedure. Please ask questions if the need should arise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 01:42 PM
Ste the drum
Joined  04-20-2017

Thanks the O.  S.  is 1.5
Fl1 510.....123 free.  Fl2 1022 ...796 free

Libraries in flash fl1 and fl2 are
Spotlight v100
Accustom steel gtr
Air
A X X R
Bolder pianos
C7signature pianos
Chicks Rhodes
Classic rock pianos
Cp1 pianos
Garrison g p o
Granular voices
Inspiration
K sounds piano 1
Trashes ......... Don’t even know if this is a library
Dad said can these load to any user 1234 bank or should only use 234 etc I can see why he is wanting to load some of these as I can imagine hours of listening to these patches,once again thanks for your help and quick responses,jenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 02:41 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Ste the drum - 20 April 2017 01:42 PM

Thanks

You’re welcome.

Ste the drum -

the O.  S.  is 1.5
Fl1 510.....123 free.  Fl2 1022 ...796 free

OK.

Ste the drum -

Libraries in flash fl1 and fl2 are
Spotlight v100
Accustom steel gtr
Air
A X X R
Bolder pianos
C7signature pianos
Chicks Rhodes
Classic rock pianos
Cp1 pianos
Garrison go
Granular voices
Inspiration
K sounds piano 1
Trashes ......... Don’t even know if this is a library
Dad said can these load to any user1234 bank or should only use 234 etc I can see why he is wanting to load some of these as I can imagine hours of listening to these patches,once again thanks for your Jhelum and quick responses,jenny

What you’ve listed appear to be mostly the names of folders/files that could be on a USB flash drive, likely copied there from a Mac computer. Only Samples and Waveforms can be loaded to the FL1 and FL2 modules, and they wouldn’t have the names you’ve listed.

Some USB drives are quite small, and not obvious at first. Is anything inserted in the USB TO DEVICE connector at the rear of the XF?

I suggest doing nothing until we figure out what you’ve got.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 02:47 PM
Ste the drum
Joined  04-20-2017

Yes you were right as keyboards agains a wall didn’t notice a small waveform U S B stick,how does this effect trying to load things,I can see colour draining from dads face,,jenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 03:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Ste the drum - 20 April 2017 02:47 PM

Yes you were right as keyboards agains a wall didn’t notice a small waveform U S B stick,how does this effect trying to load things,I can see colour draining from dads face,,jenny

I don’t want to be a wet blanket, but this can get complicated, especially for a new user.

Some libraries a include large number (or size) of samples, while others might have few or even none. Loading libraries so that the Samples/Waveforms go to FL1/FL2 will eventually fill them. Since some libraries are several hundred MB, it often doesn’t take many loadings to do that.

There are two types of memory for samples in the XF. Besides the FL1/FL2 modules, there is 128MB of RAM. The flash modules are non-volatile memory - what’s installed to them remains there unless intentionally deleted, even through power on/off cycles. If a library is small enough (typically under 128 MB), it can probably be loaded to RAM, and not affect the FL1/FL2 content.
A drawback is that RAM memory is volatile - turning off the XF’s power causes that data to be lost, and it has to be reloaded each time the XF is turned on.

Let’s start with something very basic. What are the names of some of the Voices in the User banks now? That might allow us to determine which library is currently loaded.

In addition, if you can connect the USB drive to a computer and determine the file and folder contents, it would be very helpful in determining how to proceed. Names of files, especially those with file extensions such as “.X3A”, and their sizes, is what I’d like to know. For example, under “Inspiration” you might find “InspirationInAFlash1.X3A”, with a file size of about 480MB. “AXXR” might be a typo - there’s an “AXXE” library for guitar, which uses XF internal samples, and is under 2MB in size.

I realize that this might seem a bit much, but it really could minimize aggravation in the long run.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 06:35 PM
Ste the drum
Joined  04-20-2017

Hi I think this is what you asked for ,,,does not make to much sense at all to me

acoustic steel gtr....  691mb files manual xf.n2.x3A
Spotlight v100 1.12 mb store v1 storev2 files volume configure
Air 42. mb Xf.n3.x3A
AXXE 5.34 mb xf a r p s. x3 g.  Xf n3 x3A
Boulder pianos 124mb xf.n3.x3A manual
C7 signature pianos 612mb. Files KSSP LRG.XOA.  KSSP small.xoA
Chicks Rhodes 400mb .x3A manual
Classic rock piano 490mb manual Sr. Classic rock piano .xov
Cp1 piano 121mb.  Cp1 piano.x3A
Garritan g p o lite 486mb garritan strings xf .n3.x3A. G p o brass pipe organ .n3.x3A
Granular voices 337mb xf .n2 .x3A
Inspiration 446mb. In a flash 1. X3A
K sounds piano 1.  147mb.  P1 63mb .xoA.  P1 82mb. .xoA
Magical pads 129mb. Xf.x3A
Neo soul Rhodes 114mb .n3.x3A
Vintage keys 6.75mb. Manual .n3 .x3A vintage keys Xfarp .x3G
Xtasyn 2.11mb none sample .x3A
Trashes yellow file is empty but has a white folder on with 4.00kb
I have taken pictures of list of user banks 1 ,2,3,4 do you have a email address I can send these to as to type bank 1 A through to bank H. etc then user 2 ,3,4 would take me for ever ,regards Jenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 08:16 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Ste the drum - 20 April 2017 06:35 PM

Hi I think this is what you asked for ,,,does not make to much sense at all to me

acoustic steel gtr....  691mb files manual xf.n2.x3A
Spotlight v100 1.12 mb store v1 storev2 files volume configure
Air 42. mb Xf.n3.x3A
AXXE 5.34 mb xf a r p s. x3 g.  Xf n3 x3A
Boulder pianos 124mb xf.n3.x3A manual
C7 signature pianos 612mb. Files KSSP LRG.XOA.  KSSP small.xoA
Chicks Rhodes 400mb .x3A manual
Classic rock piano 490mb manual Sr. Classic rock piano .xov
Cp1 piano 121mb.  Cp1 piano.x3A
Garritan g p o lite 486mb garritan strings xf .n3.x3A. G p o brass pipe organ .n3.x3A
Granular voices 337mb xf .n2 .x3A
Inspiration 446mb. In a flash 1. X3A
K sounds piano 1.  147mb.  P1 63mb .xoA.  P1 82mb. .xoA
Magical pads 129mb. Xf.x3A
Neo soul Rhodes 114mb .n3.x3A
Vintage keys 6.75mb. Manual .n3 .x3A vintage keys Xfarp .x3G
Xtasyn 2.11mb none sample .x3A
Trashes yellow file is empty but has a white folder on with 4.00kb

Unfortunately, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either. Spotlight-V100 and Trashes are files used by Mac OS X. Those files are usually invisible on a Mac, but can be seen on computers running other operating systems, such as PCs, and on Motifs. They aren’t needed by the Motif.

I don’t use a Mac, but what you posted (I’m guessing) might be file indexing information from the Spotlight file. It vaguely resembles what might be the contents of folders/directories on the USB drive.

Trying to keep this a simple as possible - some questions…
1) Are you using a PC?
2) How was the above list generated?
3) What files (complete names with extensions) are in just the “Inspiration” folder/directory, as shown on the computer?
4) With the USB drive back in the Motif, in File mode with Type set to “all”, if you highlight “Inspiration” and then press [ENTER], what’s displayed?

Ste the drum -

I have taken pictures of list of user banks 1 ,2,3,4 do you have a email address I can send these to as to type bank 1 A through to bank H. etc then user 2 ,3,4 would take me for ever ,regards Jenny

That’s much more than I’d likely need. The “A” group for each of the four User banks is enough. If you would zip those four pictures and attach them to a post here, that should provide what’s needed to identify what’s currently loaded.

I’d normally refer you to pages in the XF Owner’s Manual and Reference Manual, but I’m trying to avoid that for now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2017 @ 07:35 AM
Ste the drum
Joined  04-20-2017

hi took me a while to work out how to zip and send the files but are here
now showing user banks 1a,2a,3a,4a

as you asked
usb back in motif ,set to all, inspiration, enter
shows this inspiration in a flash 1.x3A

i did place usb in my laptop before and runs on windows 7
the list in previous post was obtained on this, by highlighting each folder

i did download a reader to open the files on computer but said they exceeded the mb limit so arrrrrrrr

do i take it that whatever is on usb ..like lists of voices etc can never be viewed before loading

also what is stored on the 2 x flash boards to use storage up

this appears to be a complicated system ,i know i am not a keyboard player but dad has had a roland g8 previously and i only had to read a few things and he got to grips.

once again thanks for your patience,,jen and ste,,,,

File Attachments
IMG_0660.zip  (File Size: 2592KB - Downloads: 174)
IMG_0637.zip  (File Size: 1349KB - Downloads: 169)
IMG_0669.zip  (File Size: 1685KB - Downloads: 170)
IMG_0678 (1).zip  (File Size: 1063KB - Downloads: 174)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2017 @ 08:31 AM
jimbowal
Joined  06-13-2014

USR 4 A Bank 1-16 (IMG_0678(1)) is DCP Vintage Keys. This library is 128 voices installed in banks A1 to H16. It does not contain samples and uses the internal waveforms. Bank A is the complete bank in accordance with the manual. From the list you provided, you’ll be able to see from the manual if the other banks have the respective voices ie B1 - Dayride, H16 - Clockwork Orange etc

Have attached some manuals (as they weren’t in the list) that may help you in seeing what you have installed.

I’d also say USR 2 A1-A2 are from the Neo-Soul Rhodes library :)

File Attachments
Air Motif XS Manual.pdf  (File Size: 1386KB - Downloads: 395)
AXXE.guitars.pdf  (File Size: 3151KB - Downloads: 737)
Data_List_InspirationInAFlash.pdf  (File Size: 54KB - Downloads: 347)
CP1 Piano.pdf  (File Size: 50KB - Downloads: 176)
Granular Voices XS Manual.pdf  (File Size: 204KB - Downloads: 4826)
Magical Pads.pdf  (File Size: 295KB - Downloads: 511)
Piano_1_XS_User_Guide.pdf  (File Size: 476KB - Downloads: 161)
C7 Signature Piano XS User Guide.pdf  (File Size: 946KB - Downloads: 202)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2017 @ 08:44 AM
Ste the drum
Joined  04-20-2017

Thanks jim

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 80s Soundset 1 and 2
Next Topic:

Using patterns, various question ››