mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Multi-Mode: Screen does not change on Voice Change in Cakewalk Sonar:"

Posted on: April 12, 2017 @ 11:48 PM
Audioicon
Total Posts:  7
Joined  04-12-2017

Hello my friends:

I have added instrument definition to Cakewalk Sonar Platnum:
Using both the Motif Rack (Classic) and the Motif Rack ES in Multi Mode, I am able to use all 16 parts.

I am not sure this is a problem but it does not seem normal.
When I change a voice in Sonar the screen on the Motif/ES Rack does not change. It just stays at the INIT screen.

Shouldn’t the screen change to reflect the name of the voice?

Thanks

AI

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 10:22 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Audioicon,

Welcome to the forum.

it’s hard to guess what the problem is from the info you’ve given.

Can you hear the sound actually changing, despite the screen not changing?

Could you tell us how you are cabling everything and what you are using for a MIDI interface, if you are using a MIDI interface?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 10:46 AM
Audioicon
Joined  04-12-2017
philwoodmusic - 13 April 2017 10:22 AM

Hi Audioicon,

Welcome to the forum.

it’s hard to guess what the problem is from the info you’ve given.

Can you hear the sound actually changing, despite the screen not changing?

Could you tell us how you are cabling everything and what you are using for a MIDI interface, if you are using a MIDI interface?

Thanks my friend:
Yes, if I Press the Multi button followed by category, I am able to see the Voice Name change. And also the sound does change.

If I have the module in Voice Mode, I can see the Voices changing. But if I simply click MULTI, the screen shows INIT: MULTI.

I have a MOTU MIDI Express 128:
The Express 128 is connected to the computer via USB.

I Connected my controller keyboard MIDI OUT (Port 1) to the MIDI IN (Port 1) of the Express 128.

For the MOTIF, I connected MIDI IN (Port 2) to the MIDI OUT (Port 2) of the Express 128. Same for the RACK ES.

Note: For both Tone Generators (Motif Classic/ES) I did not connect their MIDI outs.

In the utility setup, I am indicating MIDI as connection, not USB. Receive and transmit messages on. and It’s set to OMNI or ALL.

Please let me know if I have missed something.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 12:54 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Audioicon - 13 April 2017 10:46 AM

[...] Please let me know if I have missed something.

After pressing [MULTI], the display will show the name of the currently selected Multi. If an initialized Multi wasn’t renamed, it will indicate “INIT MULTI”.

If the Rack ES is sent a Bank+Program Change message while it’s in Multi mode, the Multi is changed to one of the 128 potentially available ones, and the display indicates the change in Multi Program number and name.

Part/Voice choice within any particular Multi is done by selection of MIDI channel, typically handled by your DAW or other software, or external controller. The main Multi mode display page doesn’t indicate that selection.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 01:22 PM
Audioicon
Joined  04-12-2017
5pinDIN - 13 April 2017 12:54 PM
Audioicon - 13 April 2017 10:46 AM

The main Multi mode display page doesn’t indicate that selection.

So you are saying this behavior is normal?
The sound does change to reflect current voice selection in Multi Mode.
However, unless I have the category screen, I cannot see the name of the voice in the Initial Multi screen.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 03:37 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Audioicon - 13 April 2017 01:22 PM
5pinDIN - 13 April 2017 12:54 PM

The main Multi mode display page doesn’t indicate that selection.

So you are saying this behavior is normal?
The sound does change to reflect current voice selection in Multi Mode.
However, unless I have the category screen, I cannot see the name of the voice in the Initial Multi screen.

Thanks

I’m saying that when a Program Change message is sent, that change is what’s displayed on the Rack unit. In Voice mode, the selected Voice number and name is displayed. In Multi mode, the selected Multi number and name is displayed. That’s the normal behavior. Since the sound is changing, the Rack is receiving and properly acting on the MIDI channel selection.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 05:48 PM
Audioicon
Joined  04-12-2017
5pinDIN - 13 April 2017 03:37 PM

I’m saying that when a Program Change message is sent, that change is what’s displayed on the Rack unit. In Voice mode, the selected Voice number and name is displayed. In Multi mode, the selected Multi number and name is displayed. That’s the normal behavior. Since the sound is changing, the Rack is receiving and properly acting on the MIDI channel selection.

So the screen should be changing to illustrate the current selected Voice in Multi?

I am using the INS file from this website. And idea why it is not doing as it should? Do I need to use the MIDI outs on the Rack?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2017 @ 06:22 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Audioicon - 13 April 2017 05:48 PM
5pinDIN - 13 April 2017 03:37 PM

So the screen should be changing to illustrate the current selected Voice in Multi?

No, that’s not what I posted.

When a Program Change is sent to the Rack unit…
In Voice mode, the selected Voice number and name is displayed.

In Multi mode, the selected Multi number and name is displayed.

In Multi mode the MIDI channel on which the data is received determines which Part/Voice can be played. That does not change what’s displayed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2017 @ 10:38 AM
Audioicon
Joined  04-12-2017
5pinDIN - 13 April 2017 06:22 PM

In Multi mode the MIDI channel on which the data is received determines which Part/Voice can be played. That does not change what’s displayed.

What I was getting at is should the screen in multi-mode be changing, as if I was turning the cursor?

Using the Instrument Definition setup in Cakewalk Sonar. If I select a new voice in the software for a Track, the voice changes as a should but on the screen it will say “New R&B;.” Regardless of what I have selected.

My question was: Should the screen changed? So when I hit Multi-Mode on Rack ES, it says New R&B;. Now in Sonar I select Grand Piano but when I look at the ES screen it still says “New R&B;.”

Given your explanation, this is normal behavior? The Multi-Mode screen will always say “New R&B;” unless I manually change that using the cursor.

If I hit multi-mode, followed by category I can see the voice change as I make changes in Sonar.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2017 @ 01:27 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Your Rack ES appears to be operating normally.

You seem to be confusing the name of the Multi with the name of a Part/Voice.

When new or after a factory reset, the first 32 of the 128 possible Multis in a Rack ES are factory ones. The very first one is named New R&B;. That is what is being displayed - it’s the name of the Multi. See the Multi List on page 43 of the Rack ES Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/6971).

If you send a Program Change message to the Rack while it’s in Multi mode, the display will change to show the name of the newly selected Multi, not a Part/Voice. The next factory Multi would be “Flip Hop”.

Do you have the Owner’s Manual? If not, you can download a PDF:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/8417

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 06:45 PM
Audioicon
Joined  04-12-2017
5pinDIN - 14 April 2017 01:27 PM

If you send a Program Change message to the Rack while it’s in Multi mode, the display will change to show the name of the newly selected.

That is not happening: As I have attempted to explain. Multi is not the same as Voice Mode: I got that.

In Cakewalk Sonar. The instrument Definition allows me to select voices regardless of Mode, however if I want to use multiple channels or the 16 Part Multi-timbre, then I need to be in multi-mode.

Here are the steps:

1) Turn ON MOTIF
2) Press The Multi button the LCD shows “New R&B;.”
3) In Sonar I insert a Track set the output to the input of the ES. For example: The ES is connected to Midi port 5. In Sonar there are three settings: Input is set to All or Omni, Output is set to the connected Midi Port.

4) On the Track I select a MIDI channel out of the 16 listed channel. For Voices I select Grand Piano.

The LCD still shows “New R&B;.”

Regardless of what voice I select in Sonar the screen does not change.

The instrument definition does not allow me to select a new MULTI, I can only select voices from a list in the track.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2017 @ 07:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Audioicon - 15 April 2017 06:45 PM
5pinDIN - 14 April 2017 01:27 PM

If you send a Program Change message to the Rack while it’s in Multi mode, the display will change to show the name of the newly selected.

That is not happening: As I have attempted to explain. Multi is not the same as Voice Mode: I got that. [...]

Sorry, I meant to say…
“If you send a Bank Select/Program Change message to the Rack while it’s in Multi mode, the display will change to show the name of the newly selected Multi, not a Part/Voice.”

That’s how the Rack ES display will respond when it’s in Multi mode.

Sending Program Change alone will change the Part/Voice, but that still doesn’t change the display in Multi mode - the Multi number and name is what’s shown.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2017 @ 02:01 AM
Audioicon
Joined  04-12-2017
5pinDIN - 15 April 2017 07:53 PM

Sorry, I meant to say…
“If you send a Bank Select/Program Change message to the Rack while it’s in Multi mode, the display will change to show the name of the newly selected Multi, not a Part/Voice.”

That’s how the Rack ES display will respond when it’s in Multi mode.

Sending Program Change alone will change the Part/Voice, but that still doesn’t change the display in Multi mode - the Multi number and name is what’s shown.

You have been extremely helpful and I want to say thank you for taking your time to help me understand.

I have configured the MOTIF ES INS file.

But All I am able to select are the Banks: Example:
Motif Rack ES Pre 1

In Multi Mode, if I change a bank or voices the sound changes.
I could also send you some screen shots to take a look.

Everything is working but it would be nice to see the changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2017 @ 09:18 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The Bank Select table on page 57 of the Rack ES Data List shows what Bank Select and Program Change messages do.

In Multi mode, sending Bank Select MSB/LSB plus Program Change will select the Multi within the Bank.

For example…
MSB/LSB/PC = 63/65/000 will select Multi 001
MSB/LSB/PC = 63/65/001 will select Multi 002
MSB/LSB/PC = 63/65/031 will select Multi 032

I did some searching, and found these, which might help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/352595/

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/bank_select_and_program_change_motif_es
Note that the support article covers the keyboard version of the ES, so the Bank Select choices aren’t all the same as for the Rack. Use the Bank Select table in the Rack ES Data List.

If you don’t already have it, you might find the Motif-Rack ES Multi Part Editor useful. It can be downloaded here:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id1=16244&product_id=106378
Studio Manager V2, which is needed to host the Editor, is here:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/downloads/firmware_software/studiomanagerv2host/
Your member profile doesn’t indicate which computer platform/OS you’re using, so you’ll have to determine what might work with yours.

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]