mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "midi issue"

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 10:06 PM
morty
Total Posts:  154
Joined  02-14-2007

I have a Korg Krome which Im using with my Motif XS Rack.
On the Krome in “Global Mode” I turned the “midi control change” off so it would not affect the Motif.And the Motif sounds no problem via the Krome but the sustain pedal wont sustain the Motif.What Am I doing wrong?.When undoing the control change the Motif works with sustain but other knobs on the Krome affect the Motif.Do I need to do something with midi on the Motif instead or both?

thanx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 11:22 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Sustain is CC#64, so preventing the Krome from sending any Control Change messages will disable sustain for the Rack XS.

What are the Krome knobs affecting on the Rack XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 09:30 AM
morty
Joined  02-14-2007

I have programmed all my user tones with some having separate volumes on the #2 knob on the Krome,when midi out to my Yamaha Motif XS rack the volume #2 knob affects the sound in the motif. So I turned control change off on krome global midi section.Now the motif is not affected by volume anymore which is great ...but now the sustain pedal won’t work on the motif
ie.
I layer piano tone #1 and strings tone #2 with volume knob#2 so why when hooked up to the Motif would the volume knob #2 affect the tone on the motif can I set the Motif tone the same as the piano tone #1??? Or any other suggestions? Should I adjust Motif midi?
thanx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 10:40 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Bold text doesn’t help.  :-)

morty - 10 March 2017 09:30 AM

I have programmed all my user tones with some having separate volumes on the #2 knob on the Krome,when midi out to my Yamaha Motif XS rack the volume #2 knob affects the sound in the motif.

In what way does it affect the Rack XS sound - volume, or something else?

morty -

So I turned control change off on krome global midi section.Now the motif is not affected by volume anymore which is great ...but now the sustain pedal won’t work on the motif

I got that the first time, and I explained why it happens.

morty -

ie.
I layer piano tone #1 and strings tone #2 with volume knob#2 so why when hooked up to the Motif would the volume knob #2 affect the tone on the motif can I set the Motif tone the same as the piano tone #1??? Or any other suggestions? Should I adjust Motif midi?

What is “tone on the motif”? Do you mean volume, or something else? If you can be specific as to what Parameter is being changed on the Rack XS when the Krome knob is turned, that might help to provide an answer.

Whichever Parameter it might be, if the Krome has no way to prevent that from being sent, then a MIDI Event Processor could be used to filter such a message from the MIDI sent to the Rack XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 05:09 PM
morty
Joined  02-14-2007

Thanks 5 Pin I really appreciate your help!
On the Korg Krome I have 4 assignable knobs with many midi variables.
Ive layered some patches in my user section of the Krome
ie piano and strings combo.
Piano is the first sound layered with a string as the second,
so with the “2nd assignable parameter knob” I set it at “volume” to adjust the “string” volume only, leaving the piano untouched.
Now I plug my Krome to the Motif Rack “in global mode I turn off the program change” so it wont affect the Motif.So when I play the Motif say “Galaxy 70 Tine” with the Krome Piano and string layer combo when I turn off the string volume on the Krome the Motif “Galaxy Tine” goes off too.
I hope I made myself understandable.I wish the Galaxy tine could be like the Piano on my Krome independent of the strings.Im familiar with midi a little.

any help would be aprreciative
thanx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 07:13 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
morty - 10 March 2017 05:09 PM

Thanks 5 Pin I really appreciate your help!

You’re welcome.

morty -

On the Korg Krome I have 4 assignable knobs with many midi variables.
Ive layered some patches in my user section of the Krome
ie piano and strings combo.
Piano is the first sound layered with a string as the second,
so with the “2nd assignable parameter knob” I set it at “volume” to adjust the “string” volume only, leaving the piano untouched.
Now I plug my Krome to the Motif Rack “in global mode I turn off the program change” so it wont affect the Motif.So when I play the Motif say “Galaxy 70 Tine” with the Krome Piano and string layer combo when I turn off the string volume on the Krome the Motif “Galaxy Tine” goes off too. [...]

I don’t know what “Galaxy 70 Tine” is - it doesn’t appear to be a factory Voice or Multi for the Rack XS. The closest I’ve found is Voice “Galaxy DX”. I don’t know whether you’re using the Rack XS in Voice mode or Multi mode.

If I correctly understand what you posted, the Rack XS is responding to Volume messages the Krome is sending. Such messages are either CC#7 (Volume) or CC#11 (Relative Volume - Expression).

If you can use the Rack XS in Multi mode - even if you only use one Part in a Multi - there may be a solution to the problem. In Multi mode there are Receive Switch settings for each Part. See (7) Rcv Sw (Receive Switch) on page 97 of the Motif-Rack XS Owner’s Manual. You should be able to turn off a Multi Part’s response to Volume messages using the Receive Switch settings.

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 08:06 PM
morty
Joined  02-14-2007

Yes Galaxy Dx which is in voice modeI guess theres no way to stop the volume on the Krome in voice mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 08:37 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
morty - 10 March 2017 08:06 PM

Yes Galaxy Dx which is in voice modeI guess theres no way to stop the volume on the Krome in voice mode?

I don’t know what MIDI output filtering the Krome is capable of.

A Voice on the Rack XS can be copied to a Part of a Multi. If you must keep the Rack XS in Voice mode, then consider my previous suggestion to use a MIDI Event Processor. For example:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 08:55 PM
morty
Joined  02-14-2007

Thanks 5Pin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2017 @ 09:04 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
morty - 10 March 2017 08:55 PM

Thanks 5Pin

You’re welcome. Good luck in resolving the issue.

[ Ignore ]