mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XF8 Stereo Speakers Question"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 12:30 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi! I am looking to buy a second amp for my XF8, for live use. Up till now, I have just used either house equipment when live, or when I am at home, I have plugged the right into the mic input of my Yamaha CVP305 Clavinova, and this has worked fine. However, now I have a performance coming up in the next several weeks where there will be no equipment there. I only have the one amp, and would hate to perform solo piano in mono, even using the Mono Piano MW sound. My amp is a Yamaha MSR100. So, here are my questions:

1. Keep the MSR100 and buy a second one?
2. Get two of a different amp and not use the MSR100 with my Motif?
3. Recommendations?
4. MSR100 + other amp?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 02:30 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 08 September 2016 12:30 PM

[...] Up till now, I have just used either house equipment when live, or when I am at home, I have plugged the right into the mic imput of my Yamaha CVP305 Clavinova, and this has worked fine.[...]

Why aren’t you using the CVP-305 AUX IN jacks for home operation, since that way you could have both channels (stereo) of the XF in operation?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 07:08 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Why aren’t you using the CVP-305 AUX IN jacks for home operation, since that way you could have both channels (stereo) of the XF in operation?

Because the MSR has a warmer sound, and I wanted to have true stereo, as the Clavinova is against a wall, and the Motif is at a right angle to it.

I still have stereo, as both outputs are plugged in, one to the Clavinova, and one to the MSR100.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 07:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 08 September 2016 07:08 PM

Because the MSR has a warmer sound, and I wanted to have true stereo, as the Clavinova is against a wall, and the Motif is at a right angle to it.

I still have stereo, as both outputs are plugged in, one to the Clavinova, and one to the MSR100.

Thanks for providing detail which you omitted in your initial post. The way you had worded it, it seemed you were only using one channel of the XF, amplified by the CVP-305, when at home.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 07:57 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

I guess I should have worded it this way: I have plugged the right into the mic input of my Yamaha CVP305 Clavinova, and the left remains in the MSR100.

My question is about LIVE use, aka no CVP.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 08:18 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I have used a pair of These live, going on 3 years now, and have no regrets, complaints, or unrequited enthusiasm.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2016 @ 09:12 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
cmayhle - 08 September 2016 08:18 PM

I have used a pair of These live, going on 3 years now, and have no regrets, complaints, or unrequited enthusiasm.

Sadly, these will not work for me. I also have my accordion plugged in when I perform, so I would need more jacks. Also, it has no eq controls unlike my MSR. Thanks, though!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2016 @ 10:16 AM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

We’d need more description of what your live performance need is.  Generally this is not a live performance speaker. at $400 ea I wouldn’t buy it to perform live.  I looked on Yamaha site and the specs don’t even list the sonic specs, not any common spec a pro sound person looks for.  100 Watt power is not a pro level of power.  I’d look at the DBr or DXR lines for live performance.  I love the DXR10s, personally.

And there are lots of other brands.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2016 @ 11:43 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

We’d need more description of what your live performance need is.

My live setup usually consists of my XF8, a Shure SM-57 microphone, and a Titano Virtuoso Converter accordion, with a 1/4” output jack/internal mics. Sometimes I use the SM-57 as a vocal mic, sometimes as in instrumental mic. I play at a lot of different venues, with different setups. I play both indoor and outdoor gigs. I also play live on the street. Basically, I play primarily Ragtime and Relaxation solo on my XF, along with some contemporary Christian music. 

From my flyer: Max Thompson is a professional musician who can perform solo as well as accompany singers and dancers. He plays a wide variety of musical styles on piano, accordion, keyboard, and organ as listed:
World, Balkan, Italian, German, Russian, Polkas, Waltzes, Hymns, Contemporary Christian, ‘Oldies’ ( 1930’s and ’40’s), Classical, Ragtime, Relaxation, and Christmas Music.
He has performed at the following in the Midwest:

The Minnesota State Fair, The Festival Of Nations, NE Accordion Festival, Restaurants, Russian Cultural Center, Russian Soul: Ten Years In Minnesota, Maytag Dairy Farm’s Harvest Party, Community Care Food Distribution, Little Log House Pioneer Village and Antique Power Show four years in a row, Graduation Parties, Christmas Parties, Family Reunions, Funerals, Receptions, Nursing Homes, Senior Services, the Stillwater Reading Club, Lion’s Main (now Lion’s Tavern) restaurant, Birthday Parties, Hymn Sings, Community Outreach Events, and Church Services.
He also sings.
He Is Happy To Share His Music With You!

What I need is an amp(s) that has at least two separate 1/4” input jacks, a minimum of one xlr (mic cord) jack, and the ability to EQ the sound from the amp, per individual amp.

motidave - 10 September 2016 10:16 AM

Generally this is not a live performance speaker. at $400 ea I wouldn’t buy it to perform live.  I looked on Yamaha site and the specs don’t even list the sonic specs, not any common spec a pro sound person looks for.  100 Watt power is not a pro level of power.  I’d look at the DBr or DXR lines for live performance.  I love the DXR10s, personally.

And there are lots of other brands.

OK.

Prior to buying my XF, I used a YPG-235 for solo piano, as it was what I had. I used the MSR100 with this, and it put out a LOT of sound. Obviously, this keyboard only has mono output.

About a month ago, I performed with the Motif at an outdoor venue. I used my amp plus one of their DXR10s, and that seemed to work fine for stereo.

I personally like the MSR, but have not had much experience with other amps/brands.

What other brands do you recommend?

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2016 @ 01:55 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

More info: I need an amp that will work well for acoustic instruments besides the keyboard(s).

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 11, 2016 @ 03:58 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

IMHO, you are making a mistake looking for EQ in a pro-quality active speaker unit.

If you want EQ, I’d look for it in external gear...either a specific EQ unit, or more probably in a small format mixer such a This, or This, for examples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 12:11 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

I have a pair of MSR 100’s. This is what I like about them:
- no DSP
- no hiss

This is rare. I hope Yamaha maintains this ab-amplification speaker, for it fulfills a need the other class-D amps don’t.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 12:22 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
cmayhle - 11 September 2016 03:58 PM

IMHO, you are making a mistake looking for EQ in a pro-quality active speaker unit.

If you want EQ, I’d look for it in external gear...either a specific EQ unit, or more probably in a small format mixer such a This, or This, for examples.

A mixer is just not practical for me now.

dsetto - 12 September 2016 12:11 AM

- no hiss

...for it fulfills a need the other class-D amps don’t.

Exactly! I can’t stand hiss! Plus it decreases the realism of the Motif’s piano sounds. After all, I can’t carry a baby grand (or even a 9-foot concert grand) around with me. The XF8 is the closest thing that I could find, and I would prefer not to detract from that effect. I noticed a hiss with the DXR10s that I have used.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 12:48 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

cmayhle: If I were going for a mixer, I most likely would have asked about them. Thanks, though. It is an idea the I forgot about. That being said, if I were going to purchase a mixer, it would have to be VERY compact, but still have enough inputs for 2 mics, and four 1/4” inputs for the Motif and any other keyboard that I might bring with for specific songs. If there was a more compact version of the Yamaha linked to, I would look into that, but only maybe purchase it. I would prefer to just have everything all-in-one. My gear takes up a lot of space as it is, and it takes up the majority of my space at venues. Where would I put the mixer, anyway? Maybe I’m just being stupid, but where would there be space??

How about a mixer to eliminate the hiss from other amps? I thought that the hiss was from the amps themselves, though.

This is assuming that I change my setup, of course.

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 10:57 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011

I’ve used a pair of DXR’s for 4 years now with no issues from the speakers. I have zero hiss, which if one were present, would suggest a problem not necessarily caused by the speakers. I also employ the use of a mixer. *Additionally, the DSP function can be turned off, if desired*.

However, regarding the posts subject, it would seem if Max is satisfied with the MSR the obvious
choice to me would be to obtain another.

Stone

*Edit: Upon further review this statement is likely untrue. I had thought that the D-Counter switch would disable the DSP. Apologies to all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 12, 2016 @ 12:54 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
stoneb3 - 12 September 2016 10:57 AM

I’ve used a pair of DXR’s for 4 years now with no issues from the speakers. I have zero hiss, which if one were present, would suggest a problem not necessarily caused by the speakers. I also employ the use of a mixer. Additionally, the DSP function can be turned off, if desired.

However, regarding the posts subject, it would seem if Max is satisfied with the MSR the obvious
choice to me would be to obtain another.

Stone

Every DXR that I have used, whether with the Motif or other things, has produced a hiss. Is that from the DSP?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Pilot "Magic" song keyboard question
Next Topic:

Samples from Korg ››