mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "PLG presets"

Posted on: February 07, 2016 @ 05:38 AM
e.laforge
Total Posts:  41
Joined  02-03-2016

I have the possibility to get to PLGs, the DX and AP - right here at a local music store.

looking at the operations manual of the PLG150-DX, it states that it comes with a “huge total of 912 DX voices”.

two questions:

1. do those presets come stock on the PLG board? (he doesn’t have any CD with it or anything)

2. looking at the free slot on the ES, there’s only room for 16x8 (128) presets for each PLG board.
how can I get to 912?

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2016 @ 11:40 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

This should give you the general idea (although some of it is specific to the Classic Motif):
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/KeyboardsDMI/MOTIF_PLG150DX.pdf

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2016 @ 12:23 PM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

Very interesting read! and informative! Thank you for answering.

SO, I understand that the DX PLG board comes with its own 912 DX presets AND 64 Motif DX presets. no need to install anything at my end via smart media/USB?

because I browsed some posts here, seeing users looking for the patches. I downloaded a pack called Nosebleed - I guess it’s not included with the board?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2016 @ 12:46 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
e.laforge - 07 February 2016 12:23 PM

You’re welcome.

e.laforge -

SO, I understand that the DX PLG board comes with its own 912 DX presets AND 64 Motif DX presets. no need to install anything at my end via smart media/USB?

because I browsed some posts here, seeing users looking for the patches. I downloaded a pack called Nosebleed - I guess it’s not included with the board?

Sorry, but neither my XS nor XF have slots for PLG boards - I don’t own any, and my knowledge of them is limited. Hopefully someone who has one or more PLGs will reply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2016 @ 06:51 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

If you check ES manual regarding voice memory locations, you will see that for PLG boards there are preset locations on the board, preset locations on ES (pointing to the board voices with added ES effects) and user bank on ES where you could store PLG voices edited using specific editor on computer. That’s why for DX you have 912 memory locations. Also that voices goes through ES effect processor.
You don’t need for the first time to load anything more, but you could find a lot of voices on the net for DX7 and other FM synths from that family. You could load them via editor (DX Simulator) since PLG150-DX is fully compatible with DX7! Nice thing is that you could set your keyboard response to the range from 0-100 like it was on DX7 in order to have the same filling.
For me, the best of these boards (I have VL, AN and DX) is that they are fully compatible with full represents (VL1, AN 100 and DX7) adding Motif ES powerful effects. That looks like you have three vintage synths playing through professional mixing and effects processors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2016 @ 11:16 AM
CesarSound
Total Posts:  572
Joined  12-25-2005
e.laforge - 07 February 2016 12:23 PM

I own a PLG150DX on S90ES that is identical to Motif ES and I have studied a lot this board. So, here we are some of my experience…

-When you install the PLG150DX, the Motif will release a new bank of 64 Preset Voices + a bank of 64 User Voices. This 64 User Voices is where you can save your edited voices.
-The PLG150DX has internally a User location to store more 64 voices, but it is a RAM memory, so if you turn-off the Motif the voices are lost. So you should save this bank on a USB memory stick.
-The PLG150DX has 912 presets, but this is not realy true, as several of them are duplicated. And what can be used are the E.Pianos, they are very good.
-To load new voices from DX7 that are freely available on Internet (in .syx format) I recommend you use the app called DX Manager from FM-Alive. With this app you will be able to edit the voices too, including change the operators and all parameters as is on DX7 hardware.

Any question, let me know…

CesarSound

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2016 @ 04:26 PM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

I’m having trouble connecting DX Manager with my PLG150-DX on my ES.
I have no problem connecting using the PC with the Melas software.
I can’t get DX Manager to read the PLG and I can’t transmit anything from it the other way around.

Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2016 @ 10:51 AM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

e.laforge - 29 June 2016 04:26 PM

I’m having trouble connecting DX Manager with my PLG150-DX on my ES.
I have no problem connecting using the PC with the Melas software.
I can’t get DX Manager to read the PLG and I can’t transmit anything from it the other way around.

Any ideas?

Melas tools works with Motif ES on MIDI port 1. Also it has autoconnect option, so everything works from the start. For plugin boards situation is little bit different.
Have you set properly your MIDI ports? You should set your PLG boards to port 2 in Motif.
On PC you should install at first Studio Manager, than particular board editor (DX Manager for PLG-150DX).
In Studio Manager you should at first set your MIDI interface. Select Yamaha Motif ES ports 1-4.
In workspace select installed plugin (DX in your case). Now when you click on DX board photo it will start DX Manager where you should at first go to setup and set MIDI port to 2 and channel to 1-3 depending in which slot in ES you have put your DX board. Finally, you should select on ES your DX plugin and select PLG Usr bank.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2016 @ 11:45 AM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

Thanks!

I wasn’t talking about Studio Manager though, but DX Manager (from FM-Alive)…

BTW - check your PMs :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2016 @ 12:05 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

I don’t think DX Manager supports the PLG board, I see no reference to it.

You should use the free Yamaha software designed for the PLG150DX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2016 @ 08:54 AM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

judging by this post, it’s clearly supported:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/148707/

I also understand this from numerous other posts I’ve read..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2016 @ 01:04 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

In that case, you’ll have to wait for someone else to help...I no longer have my ES and PLG boards to try anything. I always used the Yamaha DX Simulator editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2016 @ 04:30 PM
nbadesign
Joined  08-20-2007

Yes, I was thinking about DX simulator in this post not DX Manager or other.
Sorry for misunderstanding.

Alex

[ Ignore ]