mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How do I use a Motif 88 (any series from Classic up) as only MIDI controller only?"

Posted on: February 28, 2015 @ 02:04 PM
ZKeys
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-28-2015

Hello,

I am new to this site. While I love pretty much everything Yamaha makes, my programming chops are based on Nord and Roland gear.

I have a traveling gig several times a year, and I usually request an old Roland A-90 as my backline MIDI controller. I know them well, and they are pretty much plug and play for my uses. However, they are getting long in the tooth, becoming less available and keys break on them, and I’m being asked to update my preferences.

Motifs are so ubiquitous in backline rentals, and I know they are wonderful keyboards, but no matter how I try I can’t get them to perform a simple task:

I would like to use the control sliders as follows:

CS1: MIDI Channel 1 on/off
CS2: MIDI Channel 2 on/off
CS3: MIDI Channel 3 on/off

This has got to be so easy to program, but I find Yamaha’s workflow to be incredibly unintuitive. From what I can get off the manuals, this is a task to be performed in Master Mode, but that’s about as far as I get.

Please, can someone help me?!?!?

Thank you in advance!

ZKeys

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2015 @ 12:52 AM
tommymandel
Total Posts:  81
Joined  01-15-2003

If they don’t seem to want to do that, why don’t you just make them Volume sliders, and slide them down (off, vol=0) when you wish to ‘disable’ those channels? The only reason that might suck would be if you want the ‘on’ volume levels of those channel/destinations to not equal 127, I guess. btw, Our mutual friend, Jimmy McE.told me to look in here to try to answer your question.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2015 @ 12:33 PM
ZKeys
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-28-2015

Hi Tommy,

Please say hello to Jimmy for me - he and his wife are truly nice people, and he’s a great guitarist/singer!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That volume slider solution would work for the one channel where I’m controlling a rack module. The other two channels are connected to my Nord Stage; changing the volume via MIDI would globally affect the Nord so that I couldn’t play its keyboard. I’ve tried this with both my old Roland A-70 and my Casio PX-5s (which actually makes a decent controller but no backline companies stock it as it’s a “Casio").

Furthermore, I can’t seem to get to a menu where I could at least accomplish your suggestion!

I’m flying out to Vegas tomorrow, and luckily the backline company has an A-90 in very good condition for me. I’m just trying to wean myself off of older gear. Might have to try out a Roland Fantom 88 or Korg or something - this Yamaha workflow is too perplexing.

Hope to meet you sometime, Tommy - thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sysex code for OSC Waveform?
Next Topic:

"Sound Advice Script eBook" standalone? ››