mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Live midi playback"

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 02:46 PM
moxman68
Total Posts:  15
Joined  07-28-2013

I have finally managed to get somewhere downloading midi song files and loading them into Cubase by following the basic instructions in motivator articles and Phil’s MOX DVD etc.
I have been able to change the instruments to the ones that sound the best using VST editor, and then save them as a Cubase project file .cpr.
Am I correct in assuming that a Cubase project also stores the song mixing set-up automatically without having to save it separately as an . X4E file?
I have also managed to experiment and print audio tracks of each midi track to reduce processing requirements, but most of the songs I use do not have huge polyphony requirements.

I want to use the MOX as a midi backing track player using its own tone generator in a live situation. It would be my goal simply to play back the tracks as midi tracks from my laptop (running Cubase) and connected via the usual USB cable.

The problem I am encountering is that when I select an empty song slot on the MOX and then open up a song in Cubase the VST Editor automatically opens up at the same time and Auto Sync starts. I know this is probably what is supposed to happen but sometimes the sync takes several minutes to complete and this would not be convenient for keeping a live show moving along.
What if anything am I missing here?

I had tried the suggestion of loading my finished midi songs into the MOX itself (via USB stick), but after only 15-18 songs were loaded the MOX displayed a Running Low on Memory warning. This is no good when I may need over 100 songs. The MOX is supposed to have slots for 64 songs but I’d never be able to use all 64 at this rate.

I’m getting very close to achieving the objectives I bought the MOX for about 14 months ago but I’m still sure there must be an easier way of opening up and syncing midi files to the MOX.
I was hoping that I could even bulk load the songs/files bi-directionally between the MOX and the computer via the USB to Host connector instead of having to use a USB stick device?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated folks
Steve

OOPs I thought my last posting about this topic had not been uploaded onto the forum but now I realize it has. Still hoping for some help though . Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2014 @ 03:12 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

You probably have to make some fairly fundamental decisions about what technology you want to use and how much flexibility you need.

MOX Song capacity is 64 Songs provided each Song is miniscule. 15-20 normal sized Songs sounds about right.

If you’re happy running Cubase then, as you have done already, printing tracks to audio is not a bad idea for safety. That begs the question why do you need to also run MIDI tracks on your MOX? What sort of realtime control do you need for which MIDI is the only really flexible answer? Maybe you can have some songs with audio only backings and some, that definitely require that flexibility, as MIDI?

If all data - audio and MIDI - can reside in Cubase then you only need to have one Song (Mix) open on your MOX. You can simply send the appropriate Program Change messages, per song, from the Cubase.

Finally, in answer to your question about whether a MOX Song Mix can be stored direct in Cubase, the answer is I don’t believe so. MOX data needs to be stored in an editor or on the instrument itself.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ "Swingabilly" by Graviton Blue
Next Topic:

Fur Elise ››