mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help needed using mm6 as controller for Reason"

Posted on: June 14, 2014 @ 08:24 PM
kmart
Total Posts:  87
Joined  09-25-2010

I am taking a Reason Class and I would like to use my Yamaha MM6 as a controller. I know the instructions are in the manual but they are not easy enough for me to follow. Using a controller is new to me. Can anyone help me since the answer is not in the Reason manual. I have referred to the manual for Reason but it suggests I refer to the keyboard manual.

I have gone to the Reason Forum as suggested in a reply from my last post but, I have not received any response yet. I am taking a class and frankly would prefer advice in the next week or so while I do my assignments rather than after the class is over.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

P.S. I have a suitable Yamaha X16 replacement. I knew how to do this five or ten years ago with a different DAW but, I did not use the manual to figure it out last time. When I succeeded at this connection before I did not view the keyboard as a controller.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2014 @ 10:58 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I am taking a Reason Class and I would like to use my Yamaha MM6 as a controller. I know the instructions are in the manual but they are not easy enough for me to follow. Using a controller is new to me. Can anyone help me since the answer is not in the Reason manual. I have referred to the manual for Reason but it suggests I refer to the keyboard manual.

There is not a whole lot in the manual for using the MM6 as a controller with your computer.

It is not a “controller” on the level of the MOXF or Motif XF series are “controllers” for DAW software, so there is a simple basic function that the MM6 can perform for your use with Reason. We are pretty sure for getting started it may be enough. The Remote Control functions found on the MOXF and Motif XF are more than likely overkill for what you need.

We do not know Reason so you will need to find out about how things work, we can help you on the MM6 end.

You will need the USB-MIDI driver that lets the MM6 communicate MIDI with your computer via USB.

The MM6 can transmit its keyboard, wheels and pedals via MIDI and these can be used to perform musically into your software. Typically the software is responsible for channelizing the MIDI data. You work with LOCAL CONTROL = OFF on the controller keyboard and it is the software that receives incoming MIDI data and sets the PORT and MIDI channel the data is echoed back OUT to the tone engine.

For this basic type of “controller” function you will find the MM6 will be okay.
It does not have a sophisticated control surface function like the upper models where you can assign knobs and buttons and so forth.

the MM6 transmits on MIDI channel 1 (Main), channel 2 (Dual), and channel 3 (Split). But this should be more than enough to act as a basic controller for your software.

You will need to refer to the MM6 manual when you require to make basic settings. Page 78 MIDI Settings.
Do not be afraid of it. MIDI in software and MIDI in hardware - what you want to master is making these connections and more than just making them, understanding how transmit and receive work on a fundamental level. The only way to troubleshoot setups is to have a method.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2014 @ 09:10 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

When you ask about using your MM6 as a controller, there are two aspects to this.

The first is simply playing the keyboard to enter MIDI note data into Reason. As Bad Mister wrote, once you have installed the USB driver for the MM6 Reason will see the MIDI output (I suggest sticking to channel 1). Setting Local to OFF will keep the MM6 from responding to the keys and you can then use Reason’s sequencer and External MIDI Instrument plugin to play the MM6.

The second is using MM6 knobs and switches to control aspects of Reason, this is not possible outside a few basic functions. Most Reason instruments respond to CCs 71 and 74 (cutoff and resonance) so those knobs will work without you needing to do anything. You can probably use Reason’s Learn mode to map the other knobs to control things but that is about it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2014 @ 11:40 PM
kmart
Joined  09-25-2010

Thank you for all your help I will get back to both of you with the results of your instruction and suggestions in the next week.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2014 @ 02:38 PM
kmart
Joined  09-25-2010

As it turns out my next assignment in my Reason class involves using Audio so I thank both moderators who have been assisting me in figuring this out.

I appear to be making progress. I attached the usb cable as diagrammed at the top of page 78 in the manual. My old Yamaha ux16 had stopped working a while ago so, I am using a something comparable hooked up to the MIDI in/out on the mm6 that is working properly. After successfully installing the windows 64 driver for the mm6, I went to the sequencer in Reason. Now eight channels that were not showing before are now showing.That is a good sign. I found “local” and switched it off with the knob. Also I found split via utility with it’s numerical value that can be changed. I do not know what “cc” is but, I figured it may be related to a note on the keyboard. Correct me if I am wrong. There is no mention of cc71 to my knowledge. What does “cc” stand for?

Still no sound. Do I still need to hook up a monitor if I am using headphones with my audio interface or an audio cable to hear the keyboard?

I am making progress. That is encouraging.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2014 @ 07:22 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I appear to be making progress. I attached the usb cable as diagrammed at the top of page 78 in the manual. My old Yamaha ux16 had stopped working a while ago so, I am using a something comparable hooked up to the MIDI in/out on the mm6 that is working properly.

This is confusing… Why are you connected by both USB and via MIDI? Only one of these connections is relevant.

Now eight channels that were not showing before are now showing.That is a good sign.

We don’t understand this statement either. MIDI channels showing up? Where? Where were they? Maybe you are confusing Channels and Ports?

What does “cc” stand for?

This is short for CONTROL CHANGE
Control Change events control Voice and effect parameters. Control Change events are generated when a controller such as a modulation wheel, knob, slider or foot controller is operated.

The Control number (000 – 127) specifies the controller (function), such as volume (cc7) or pan (cc10). The value (000 – 127) specifies the “position” of the controller assigned to the selected control number.

Common ones include filter cutoff (cc74), filter resonance ( cc71), mod wheel (cc1), attack (cc73), release (cc72), Reverb send (cc91), Chorus send (cc93), Sustain (cc64), Etc. They are a type of Channel message - means a cc message will only affect items on the same MIDI channel and port.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 30, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
kmart
Joined  09-25-2010

Question for Bad_Mister

Which one of these connections is relevant USB or MIDI?

[ Ignore ]