mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Importing a midi file from motif 8 to mm6"

Posted on: April 17, 2013 @ 08:27 AM
gamazz
Total Posts:  91
Joined  11-13-2004

i have a mm6. i also have a motif 8 which i created a song in using only 8 trks. i’d saved it as a midi file type smf. took it from my smart card to computer to usb stick to mm6. it seems to loose the assigned voices.
is there a step i’m missing? and how can i change the voices on the mm6 song?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2013 @ 06:03 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

What assigned Voices? Unless you manually placed Bank Select and Program Change information on each and every Track of your sequence so that it would select a specific Voice for each of your MM6 Parts, there is no way for the MM to know what sound you used in the Motif.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you have a lot of work yet to do.

Say you used a guitar Voice on track 1 of the sequence, look at the event list of your data, what in that track is telling the MM6 what guitar to play, what is telling it to play a guitar at all?

Unless you select a specific Voice in the MM6, by inserting the correct Bank and Program, the MM has no instructions as to what Voice to use!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2013 @ 11:46 PM
gamazz
Joined  11-13-2004

don’t mind the work.
so if i have the seq song in motif 8 i need to go to edit pc and find the voice i want to associate with that track and save it there first? If not how? i found nothing in the mm6 manual.
id like to take a song created on motif 8 and play it on mm6.
thank you for the help. Gary

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2013 @ 05:46 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

don’t mind the work.

Good. It is not that difficult but will require you input a BANK SELECT and PROGRAM CHANGE event on each Track. You can do this in the Motif 8 (it is far easier on the Motif 8 than on a computer)

i found nothing in the mm6 manual.
id like to take a song created on motif 8 and play it on mm6.

In the MM6 Manual turn to page 84… there you will find the VOICE LIST. Basically this has the information you need for each Voice and how to recall it.

Here you will find every VOICE available in the MM6… you will need to read the NOTES at the top of the page… specifically…

Program Numbers 001 to 128 directly relate to MIDI Program Change Numbers 000 to 127. That is Program Numbers and Program Change Numbers differ by a value of 1. Remember to take this into consideration.

This means that the NUMBER in the “MIDI Program Change (1-128)” column are 1 digit higher than the Program Change you will need to use.

The BANK SELECT MSB (Most Significant Byte) and LSB (Least Significant Byte) columns are what will allow you to hone in on the correct BANK

First lets prepare your Motif 8 for inputting this data:
Go to UTILITY
Press [F5] MIDI
Press [SF2] SWITCH
Turn BANK SEL = OFF
Turn PGM CHANGE = OFF
This will prevent your Motif 8 from changing while you are inputting changes for the MM6.

Call up your SONG.
What we will do first is ADD a MEASURE to the front end of the SONG - in this measure you will input the BANK SELECT and PROGRAM CHANGE information. The measure is necessary because in this measure you will place all the SETUP DATA for the MM6.

Press [JOB]
Press [F4] MEASURE
Select CREATE MEASURE
Set it to 4/4
Set the number of measure = 01Meas
Set the insertion point to = Meas001

Press ENTER to create one measure on the front of your SONG.

That done… next we will learn how to insert the BANK SELECT - PROGRAM CHANGE information.

For example, say you want to select the VOICE Vintage’74 number 20 on the VOICE LIST, for Track 1…

From the main SONG screen, select Track [1]
Press [EDIT]
you are now looking at the EVENT LIST

Press [F5] INSERT>
Set the EVENT TYPE = PROGRAM CHANGE
(page 191 of the Motif manual will show you about the PROGRAM CHANGE event. Yamaha makes this easy by using what is called a “packed” event… xxx-yyy-zzz
where ‘xxx’ is the MSB
where ‘yyy’ is the LSB
and ‘zzz’ is the Program Change

In your MM6 manual you see that VOICE number 20 - Vintage’74 has the following MSB/LSB:

MSB = 0
LSB = 116
MIDI Program Change 5 (but we need to subtract 1)

So you want to input 000-116-004

Then press [F6] SET.

This coded message when received by the MM6 will change PART 1 to “Vintage’74”

In this same fashion you can select each PART 1-16 or for as many PARTS as you used.
When you want to select a Voice for PART 2, move to Track 2 and input the MSB-LSB-Program Change (-1)

Once you have all your BANK and Program info inserted… Save your SONG as a SMF (.MID)
If you get stuck post back here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2013 @ 11:07 AM
gamazz
Joined  11-13-2004

thanks so much. it works great. do you set your volumes for the individual tracks in motif 8 or can you do it in mm6? ultimately i’d like to backing tracks and play the piano part live. so if i could adjust the track volume as well as the volume of the live piano it would be great.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2013 @ 10:41 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

You can set the Volumes by inserting a CONTROL CHANGE EVENT… cc007 value 0-127
I recommend you place the Control Change Volume event on Beat 2 of the Setup Measure you’ve created.

Place the Program Change event at: 001:1-000
Place the Volume cc007 event at: 001:2-000 for each track, one by one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 11, 2013 @ 07:40 AM
gamazz
Joined  11-13-2004

what’s the best way of adjusting the seq volume seperate from the main volume so i can play with it live. does it need to be imported as a pattern? right now it’s a song without the piano part off usb stick.
i’d like to play piano live but the seq is too loud. i ‘m referring to the overall seq/song. i understand cc volumes in motif 8.

[ Ignore ]