mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mod wheel control of tempo sync’d LFO speed on an MO8?"

Posted on: February 21, 2012 @ 05:16 PM
rmrossa
Total Posts:  20
Joined  09-26-2008

I know I can control the speed of an LFO from a mod wheel.
I know I can sync an LFO to to tempo.
Can I change the note value the LFO is sync’d to with a controller?
When I have the speed of an LFO controlled with the mod wheel and switch it to tempo sync the mod wheel does nothing.

Is it possible with this synth?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2012 @ 12:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No, I don’t think so - not with a controller. The Destinations for CONTROL are listed within the CONTROL SET and in the DATA LIST booklet that came with your unit. (page 42)

Varying it with a controller would not be very precise, at all… you can change the value using SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE messages sent from the sequencer. Such a message can be placed precisely within the sequence data.

Once you have sync’d the LFO to a musical subdivision, you can change the TEMPO to speed up or slow down the LFO (that is what you are doing when you manual assign LFO SPEED - by assigning the LFO SYNC to TEMPO, you now control the speed by controlling the TEMPO). If you actually wish to alter the sub-divisions it is counting, I believe you’d have to do that with SYSEX.

(and you’d need to make sure it is an available parameter in the MODE you wish to use it)

Mostly what can be changed in real time has been deemed (by the designers) as musically useful. Not sure if I can envision changing the musical sub-division on-the-fly via a knob or slider… if you need more info, let us know - you can check the DATA LIST to see if the parameters you want are available for use - again - I have never explored this and no longer have a MO to test it on, sorry.

LFO TEMPO SPEED can certainly be addressed via SYSEX but I have no experience manipulating it during play - and since it is a VOICE edit, it may not be available in PERFORMANCE, SONG or PATTERN modes… I don’t recall the level of VOICE editing available within a MIXING setup back in 2005, sorry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2012 @ 05:03 PM
rmrossa
Joined  09-26-2008

Thanks Bad Mister
I’ll check out sys ex possibilities
LFO sync division change on the fly is a popular thing to do in dubstep bass.
You’re the best

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
rmrossa
Joined  09-26-2008

I looked up the sys ex format for changing the LFO tempo speed and there is nothing in the message about program bank, number or midi channel.
This leads me to believe the only way to change a program’s LFO tempo speed is when it is the current program in the program edit buffer.  So, if I’m correct about that, there may be no way to change it during a performance.  I guess drawing sin waves in the DAW mod wheel sub track?  No live manipulation but I can multitrack with it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2012 @ 09:22 PM
rmrossa
Joined  09-26-2008

You know… I’ve just been screwing around with the mod wheel controlling the speed without the tempo sync and if you’re careful you can pretty much get the sound I was looking for.

[ Ignore ]